Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:57 AM

111 posts, read 147,071 times

Advertisements

Doing a preliminary look into DISD elementary schools that feed into Long/Wilson. Is there an appreciable difference between Stonewall, Lakewood or Lee? What about Hexter that feeds into Hill/Adams?

(I have read some posts and they are informative).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 AM

216 posts, read 344,104 times
As a parent at Stonewall - I am terribly biased for Stonewall. Of the 3 in the Long/Wilson feeder pattern I feel it is the best school. Lakewood is great, but while Stonewall is at capacity, Lakewood is bursting at the seams. Lee is getting better and with a new principal it looks really promising. It looks like they are trending towards great things. I've heard good things about Hexter - but not sure about Hill/Adams.

I'll make the argument FOR Stonewall because the teaching staff is amazing and the parent network/support is fantastic. Also, Stonewall has Stonewall Gardens which is in its 20th year now! The garden gives the kids a unique, hands-on experience with so many different aspects that the teaching staff then ties into all of the different disciplines - from math to science to art to literature. Stonewall is also building on a new wing - so they are expanding to meet the growing needs of the community.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Hexter is a great elementary school but the middle & high schools are abysmal. The Bryan Adams kids are a lot rougher than at Woodrow. If you're looking at staying in Dallas long-term and don't want to be forced into private schools (or pray for magnet admission!), Hexter zone is a no-go. The other three are all great choices. Lakewood is the most white/affluent and Lee is the most diverse (economically & racially), but you'll have a good academic experience at all three.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 AM

617 posts, read 1,042,207 times
Agree with what's been said above.

You probably know this, but to take the most crass and reductionistic view (which is what the real estate values usually reflect), this is the percentage of students at each school who are low-income i.e. eligible for free or reduced-price lunch.

14.5 - Lakewood (to Woodrow)
23.5 - Stonewall (to Woodrow)

43.4 - Dealey Montessori
52.4 - DeGolyer (to WT White)
53.3 - Withers (to WT White)

62.8 - Harry Stone Montessori
63.9 - Hexter (to Bryan Adams)

74.8 - Rosemont (to Sunset)
76.0 - Jerry Junkins (to WT White)
78.8 - Robert E. Lee (to Woodrow)

81.1 - Adelle Turner (to Carter)
81.3 - George H.W. Bush (to WT White)
84.1 - Walnut Hill (to Thomas Jefferson)
84.3 - Kramer (to Hillcrest)
84.5 - Sanger (to Bryan Adams)
84.7 - Oran Roberts (to Madison)

So for real estate value, Lakewood would be at the top; but I'm sure a great education could be had at any of the schools...

I added the respective High Schools after the names of the elementary schools on this list. The view around here seems to be that Woodrow, Hillcrest and WT White are all reasonable possibilities for HS, the others less so...

source:
Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2013-2014 Percent of Economically Disadvantaged Students in Dallas ISD, Ft. Worth ISD and Irving ISD
http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...%207.28.16.pdf

Old 08-24-2016, 12:16 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
As my dad will tell you, Bryan Adams was starting to get rough when he graduated in 1965, and it hasn't gotten any better.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM

113 posts, read 155,679 times
Good point about the Economically Disadvantaged percentages. The updated 2015 TEA numbers are listed below. It may also be helpful to know the number of students with English as a second language, as this unfortunately can drag down school quality/performance also.

Lakewood: 10% Economically Disadvantaged, ESL = 2.9%
Stonewall: 23.1% Economically Disadvantaged, ESL = 6.5%
Hexter: 58.3% Economically Disadvantaged, ESL = 19.7%
Lee: 73.8% Economically Disadvantaged, ESL = 27.4%

Lakewood and Stonewall by far have the lowest ED and ESL students in all of DISD. Important to note that that DISD averages are 85.9% ED and 42% ESL, so unfortunately nearly every school in DISD has high numbers of these students. This does not necessarily mean a good education can't be had, but not everyone wants their child to grow up in this type of environment.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM

59 posts, read 71,918 times
It is also possible to view ESL students as a valuable resource, who make it possible for a school to offer a true dual language program. A growing number of DISD schools are implementing the two-way dual language model, in which classes are formed in kindergarten from half English-speaking and half Spanish-speaking students. Instruction is in both languages, continuing through grade 5, with the goal of all students becoming bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural.

Two-Way Dual Language / Where is Dual Language offered?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:35 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemstreets View Post
It is also possible to view ESL students as a valuable resource, who make it possible for a school to offer a true dual language program. A growing number of DISD schools are implementing the two-way dual language model, in which classes are formed in kindergarten from half English-speaking and half Spanish-speaking students. Instruction is in both languages, continuing through grade 5, with the goal of all students becoming bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural.

Two-Way Dual Language / Where is Dual Language offered?
Is there any evidence this sort of thing works well?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:19 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Is there any evidence this sort of thing works well?
The evidence that I've read about is that in the earlier years, test scores trail the average because kids are learning in a non-native language. The test scores apparently catch up by upper elementary and middle school. But I haven't seen any evidence cited anywhere that dual language students outperform in any way. Having said that, if it's a program choice that's popular and it doesn't HURT achievement, then by all means offer it.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,372 times
Lakewood and Stonewall hold similar reputations. Parents I know with children at each tend to be happy with the respective school, with the teachers (there are always exceptions) and with the experience. There is a ton of community support for both of those schools, which seems to add to the experience for the kids and the parents.

Stonewall is not quite as large as Lakewood, so that may be an advantage, but Lakewood, after years on the waiting list, will be substantially remodeled and expanded - I believe with more new facility space overall than Stonewall. Stonewall has a garden while Lakewood has an outdoor learning space (which will be expanded with the remodel). Bottom line, I don't have the impression that there is an appreciable difference between the two; others may chime in with distinctions.

Lee, generally, does not enjoy quite as strong a reputation as Lakewood and Stonewall but its programming is gaining a lot of attention. I don't know parents with kids there but have generally heard and read good things. If we were moving to the area now, I would not rule it out.

I can't speak to Hexter except to say that it is generally regarded as a solid elementary school and on the real estate side of things, you can typically get a home on a larger lot by Hexter than on the Lakewood side of White Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: