Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:49 AM

3,810 posts, read 8,721,324 times

Advertisements

I don't do rentals but I own a business and have hired felons. And promoted them. Have one person who is now management and has been with me 6 years.

My advice would be just don't lie. It will come up on a background check and then you're in a pickle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 AM

5,689 posts, read 4,121,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
There has been much discussion in the news recently about Obama wanting something that makes it so landlords cannot reject people because of a criminal past. There are several articles, but this was the first one in the Google Search. Read up on it:
Obama Admin: Landlords Can't Refuse To House Criminals | The Daily Caller
1. Neither Obama nor HUD have ever expressed a desire to prevent landlords from considering a prospective tenant's criminal past when making housing decisions. Rather, what is at issue here is whether blanket policies that would automatically deny a prospective tenant based on a criminal past are discriminatory. I don't necessarily agree with the guideline, but you are grossly misrepresenting it here.

2. Perhaps you should stop reading The Daily Caller.

3. Characterizing everything that happens in every branch of the federal government as Obama's doing shows a poor understanding of how the government works. While it's likely that Obama generally supports most things that happen under his roof, the primary credit or blame (depending on your perspective) for this issue falls at the feet of Julian Castro, HUD Secretary. Sites like The Daily Caller promote this kindergarten type of discussion by putting Obama's face on every federal policy it doesn't like. In the article you linked to, Julian Castro's name is mentioned once, but Obama's name is mentioned four times and his picture is featured. That's pandering to its readers, and as a reader, you should be insulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobr View Post
Can't wait for 2017
As Winston Churchill once said, “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.”

See my comments above -- the post you responded to is filled with misinformation. Also, I wouldn't expect much of a deviation from this sort of thing when Hillary is elected in 2017, which she almost certainly will be.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:08 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,383,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyL12 View Post
Hello,
I have a felony conviction from 2006 and I am looking for an apartment in N Dallas that will rent to someone with a felony conviction. I have a job, no evictions and good credit. I work near 635/Skillman. Can someone please help me with any suggestions. Thanks,
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but my vague impression from reading articles in the Dallas alternative paper and from talking to people over the years is that DFW landlords have huge legal leeway regarding who they will, or will not rent to. You might need an inside track.

I would recommend googling say: prison release ministry, Dallas, church. I knew a woman who volunteered at her church with recently released women (job skills, interview skills, good clothing, resumes etc). A church with this kind of ministry maybe able to pair selected people looking for a new start with apartment managers willing to give them a chance.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:00 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,286,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
1. Neither Obama nor HUD have ever expressed a desire to prevent landlords from considering a prospective tenant's criminal past when making housing decisions. Rather, what is at issue here is whether blanket policies that would automatically deny a prospective tenant based on a criminal past are discriminatory. I don't necessarily agree with the guideline, but you are grossly misrepresenting it here.

2. Perhaps you should stop reading The Daily Caller.

3. Characterizing everything that happens in every branch of the federal government as Obama's doing shows a poor understanding of how the government works. While it's likely that Obama generally supports most things that happen under his roof, the primary credit or blame (depending on your perspective) for this issue falls at the feet of Julian Castro, HUD Secretary. Sites like The Daily Caller promote this kindergarten type of discussion by putting Obama's face on every federal policy it doesn't like. In the article you linked to, Julian Castro's name is mentioned once, but Obama's name is mentioned four times and his picture is featured. That's pandering to its readers, and as a reader, you should be insulted.

As Winston Churchill once said, “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.”

See my comments above -- the post you responded to is filled with misinformation. Also, I wouldn't expect much of a deviation from this sort of thing when Hillary is elected in 2017, which she almost certainly will be.
I love this post. Probably my fav all of 2016. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: