Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,420 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Plano, Texas but unable to decide whether to move or not. I have job offer but that is with a bank IT division so kind of thinking whether that job is secure or may get layoff if recession hits.

Also I am not sure if it's a good idea to move to Plano, TX from Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA specifically. Here in Seattle I am currently working for a healthcare company so thinking whether it's a good or bad idea to move to a bank by leaving healthcare company.

Have some concerns on weather difference between Seattle, WA to Plano, Texas.

How are the property taxes in Texas compared to WA. In WA, we usually pay around 1.1 % of county's assessed price. I heard in Texas it's around 2 to 3 %. Is that correct?

Please give some adivce on these issues and anything else you think for people newly moving to TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Are they going to pay you a lot more? Because some of the most unhappy transplants I know are people that moved here from the P/NW. Unless you hate living in Seattle, or they are paying you a lot more, I'd stay.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
The beauty of the DFW area is man-made -- golf courses, cement hiking trails thru suburban areas, HOA neighborhoods with man made fountains, etc. Some of these things are quite lovely. Our weather is humid. Summers are blazing hot. People are friendly. Schools are generally good. Traffic is congested but you'll find parking spaces and lots of choices in retail and restaurants. If you like bling over nature, this can be a good match. Property taxes fund our schools and most other services because we have no income taxes. Our real estate tends to be reasonable compared to the Seattle area. But expect to pay approx 2.5% before exemptions. Just go ahead and add about $1K +/- to your house payment for taxes and you can roughly budget the cost.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:28 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Are they going to pay you a lot more? Because some of the most unhappy transplants I know are people that moved here from the P/NW. Unless you hate living in Seattle, or they are paying you a lot more, I'd stay.
People that move to Boston from the PNW are unhappy.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:44 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I would suspect that DFW is much cheaper than Seattle for housing. But there's no way I'd move to Texas from Seattle because of the weather alone. The PNW has some of the best weather in the country (despite the rain).

To figure out property tax, it can be really helpful to find a home on a realtor website, then check the county tax site for rates. In Tarrant County, taxes on a $150-175,000 home are around $4000-6000/year depending on precise location in the county, school district, etc. Also, many areas in the metro have property tax increases of 7-15% every year. Make sure to budget that in.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
People that move to Boston from the PNW are unhappy.
Some of that is the attitude up there, that Boston is the best thing eva (said that on purpose) and nothing could be better, but then they all move south. I can say this because I'm from outside of Boston. The difference is I really love it here and all my friends and family that visit really like Dallas. I'm not moving back to the northeast again.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I would suspect that DFW is much cheaper than Seattle for housing. But there's no way I'd move to Texas from Seattle because of the weather alone. The PNW has some of the best weather in the country (despite the rain).

To figure out property tax, it can be really helpful to find a home on a realtor website, then check the county tax site for rates. In Tarrant County, taxes on a $150-175,000 home are around $4000-6000/year depending on precise location in the county, school district, etc. Also, many areas in the metro have property tax increases of 7-15% every year. Make sure to budget that in.
The large increases in annual taxes are new and not likely to continue at this rate. From 2007-2013, my property tax bill was almost flat every single year on my old place- went up less than $50/year and 1 or 2 years, went down a little bit.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:55 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
If nothing else then you'll have a bigger, better and newer house for same price as your current one in Seattle but you get hot climate and no scenery for backdrop. Unless you are getting a significant salary increase or a big promotion, it's not worth it.

If you must move to DFW then Plano is one of best choices in this area.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:25 AM

70 posts, read 131,894 times
With all the headquarters & jobs coming to Plano, recession and layoff should be the last of your concerns.

I lived in Bothell, WA for 8 years and here are the differences I notice:

- Summer is hella hot; but an acceptable trade off for the gray PNW days.
- Traffic is much nicer in DFW, and Texas builds infrastructure way faster
- Less winerys in DFW, but more craft beer!
- Less democrats in DFW!! (translated: Less of your tax dollars going to stupid places)
- Do not have to power-wash mold off your sidewalks in DFW
- Two airports are better than one
- No income tax (WA considering income tax of some sort?)
- Better schools for your children in Frisco/Plano
- Walk-ability is lower in DFW
- Overall lower cost of living - including utilities, gas prices & housing
- higher property taxes & car insurance
- Significantly lower housing prices
- Less greenery, but just as many lakes
- Better economic and population growth

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2016, 01:02 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Do you love Seattle? Because I've noticed that people who love it there, hate it here and vice versa. I think Seattle may be the polar opposite of Dallas in almost every category. Climate, politics, activities, landscape, food, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas