Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 10:14 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
after seeing someone snort what I am guessing was cocaine off a table in Fat Rabbit
It's sort of odd that seeing someone snort cocaine off a table counts as both 'generic and pretentious'. Where the heck do you hang out?

Last edited by TheOverdog; 09-22-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 11:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingWestHelpMe View Post
We Californian transplants only come to Texas for your resources (jobs, bigger homes, better schools for our childern). Don't think your state is anything special because we could care less about the local culture in Texas.
This is the most succinct example of everything that justifies the dislike of (certain) transplants. This unbridled arrogance and disrespect for the state they are moving to and the people who made it, whose ancestors set roots there.

Thank you for making this phenomenon crystal clear.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:21 AM

439 posts, read 437,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I definitely agree about Uptown. It's so sad that it's becoming more and more generic as time goes on. On one hand, I know Dallas needs to grow up instead of out so to speak. But I think it needs to be careful to not just give free reign (aka incentives) to developers to bulldoze all of its soul. Deep Ellum is on the right track though. I find more natives and friendlier people in general there than in Uptown. Even Downtown Dallas has somewhat of a local yokel vibe which is nice.
The centerpiece of Uptown is the contemporary monument of The Crescent. It took a huge amount of moxy to develop that thing. Oddly, the other centerpieces are the Harwood and CityPlace developments which also took a lot of fortitude in staying power. Aside from those three centerpieces, Victory Park represents a huge accomplishment. It helped connect downtown and Uptown with the Dallas Design District.

The work involved in creating it is being taken for granted.

The Katy Trail is also a great accomplishment. It is the perfect addition to the long established classic of the Turtle Creek park and trail system.

Like the Katy Trail, Mckinney avenue is fast becoming a new meandering Main Street.

I just don't see anything to complain about. Politics are fickle blowing along spontaneously with the winds of change. In other words, you might have your guy in office today, but not tomorrow. So, the best way to preserve old special things is to keep the retail close to them busy and full. That is what Uptown is doing. It is keeping the retail in neighborhoods around it busy and full.

Leave Uptown alone. Let it become the premier center for Texas and the South.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
I hear that Sonny Bryan's Barbecue and Elliott's Hardware are now carrying Californian-Be-Gone in both the convenient refillable 2 oz. spray bottle and the 1 gal. Economy Size.

For a DIY alternative, I hear that sprinkling them with fox urine is effective.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is the most succinct example of everything that justifies the dislike of (certain) transplants. This unbridled arrogance and disrespect for the state they are moving to and the people who made it, whose ancestors set roots there.

Thank you for making this phenomenon crystal clear.
People are always going to behave nationalistic towards the home they are from. Texas isn't the culprit that is ripping people away from their roots. So, who is to blame? I don't want to ever leave my home of Texas, but I will if that is what is necessary in order to remain an American.

Texas is one of the last bastions for true American liberalism. Along with the rest of the south, the area has become the new heart and soul of a United States against federal imperialism.

Last edited by Yellow pool of piddle; 09-22-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Having lived in San Antonio for 2 years, Amarillo 1 year, Sherman 4 years, and Plano 44 years I know Texas better than most. It’s the reason I vacation in coastal California up to 4 weeks annually.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:04 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
The centerpiece of Uptown is the contemporary monument of The Crescent. It took a huge amount of moxy to develop that thing. Oddly, the other centerpieces are the Harwood and CityPlace developments which also took a lot of fortitude in staying power. Aside from those three centerpieces, Victory Park represents a huge accomplishment. It helped connect downtown and Uptown with the Dallas Design District.

The work involved in creating it is being taken for granted.

The Katy Trail is also a great accomplishment. It is the perfect addition to the long established classic of the Turtle Creek park and trail system.

Like the Katy Trail, Mckinney avenue is fast becoming a new meandering Main Street.

I just don't see anything to complain about. Politics are fickle blowing along spontaneously with the winds of change. In other words, you might have your guy in office today, but not tomorrow. So, the best way to preserve old special things is to keep the retail close to them busy and full. That is what Uptown is doing. It is keeping the retail in neighborhoods around it busy and full.

I don't disagree with the success of Uptown. I'm just not too sure if it will have this bright future like it did up through now. There's a lot of success happening in other Dallas neighborhoods with their own unique shops, restaurants, and bars. Uptown is getting another Del Frisco's, which isn't a bad place, but definitely not an exciting "new" addition to the neighborhood. It would be nice for West Village to have shops and restaurants that you can't find elsewhere. There's still the party scene in Uptown on weekends, yet residents who moved to be near the action have been complaining. So what does Uptown want to be? It has NO culture whatsoever. Other than walkability, I don't recommend it too much to young professionals anymore.

Also, why can't Dallas's Main St. BE Main St.? Why McKinney Ave.? The original Neiman Marcus is right on Main St. in Downtown. Hopefully with enough momentum, Downtown Dallas will get back to its original roots.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Uptown is still very young. 10 years from now it'll be very different. For better or worse TBD.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I don't disagree with the success of Uptown. I'm just not too sure if it will have this bright future like it did up through now. There's a lot of success happening in other Dallas neighborhoods with their own unique shops, restaurants, and bars. Uptown is getting another Del Frisco's, which isn't a bad place, but definitely not an exciting "new" addition to the neighborhood. It would be nice for West Village to have shops and restaurants that you can't find elsewhere. There's still the party scene in Uptown on weekends, yet residents who moved to be near the action have been complaining. So what does Uptown want to be? It has NO culture whatsoever. Other than walkability, I don't recommend it too much to young professionals anymore.

Also, why can't Dallas's Main St. BE Main St.? Why McKinney Ave.? The original Neiman Marcus is right on Main St. in Downtown. Hopefully with enough momentum, Downtown Dallas will get back to its original roots.
By downtown, are you referring to Uptown? The old downtown is booming because Uptown, the new downtown, is zooming. Dallas is beginning to get away from thinking in terms of grids of tall empty office buildings, to many main streets defined by their retail.

In central Dallas, there are three burgeoning areas of luxury retail. One is downtown as you say, another is in Uptown around the Crescent, and the last is Knox - Henderson. Though Knox Street is losing its Forty-Five-Ten to downtown, it is benefiting greatly from the up and coming Henderson Avenue.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:19 PM

394 posts, read 435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post

As stated earlier...

From a development and marketing standpoint Uptown has been a success...yet...

You see more happy young professionals living in other areas

You bring up Uptown as being the "premier center for the Texas and the South"... are you on drugs?? seriously?!?

Or are you just not well traveled or read..?

Have you ever been to Sundance Square/West 7th Fort Worth, Midtown Houston, or downtown Austin?!?!??? Have you been to Knox-Henderson/Lower Greenville or Deep Ellum??!?!?

umm.......

Or are you just ignorantly saying this?

I mean... if you had a brain you could easily figure out that the population/demographics in each of those areas is probably about the same... hmmmm

*oh and this is JUST/ONLY Texas btw*

So how could Uptown even be the "premier center" when it can't even fully beat/justify those places I just listed? LOL

I'm not arguing with the rest of your post because "I get it" on a business level I "get it"... Developers and business thrive in the faccade that is Uptown(and i can't blame them because they're making good cash). But that by NO MEANS makes it the premier or, maybe NOT EVEN "top 3" places in Texas... .maybe not even in Dallas itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas