Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:45 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Who cares if people want to visit there? Like tourists are some end-all-be-all goal of a neighborhood. Are you doing anything to convince tourists to come to your neighborhood? If tourists want to come check out Dallas, they should be going to Arlington. Or maybe that weird concrete box that is the JFK memorial.

Or to where Robert Johnson recorded some of the first blues albums at 508 Park Avenue, but that place barely even exists as a tourist stop in true Dallas fashion.
Tourists aren't the end-all-be-all, but attracting outsiders in general is one critical component of a healthy, vibrant neighborhood,, especially one as insular and homogeneous as Uptown Dallas. I really meant "visitors" in general, which can include people from other Dallas neighborhoods or suburbs/towns throughout the DFW Metroplex visiting Uptown Dallas. I do believe that in order for it be considered a premier urban neighborhood you must be attractive to both residents AND visitors. You can't simply rely on the people living in the neighborhood to support the vibrant retail, restaurant, and bar scene. Not going to happen, especially with some of these Uptown homebodies. And you can't offer something that can be found in other areas of the Metroplex. If you're in Southlake, why make the journey to Uptown to go to DelFrisco's?

Btw- I do show out-of-towners all areas of Dallas, including Uptown. But the only unique things to show them about Uptown would be the trolley, Katy Trail, and the nightlife. Forget about the retail and most of the restaurants. Nothing truly special about them. I tend to receive high reviews for Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, Bishop Arts, and even the West End! Many have commented on the plastic, fake feel of West Village and the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde feel of Uptown during the day vs. night.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 PM

30 posts, read 17,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Tourists aren't the end-all-be-all, but attracting outsiders in general is one critical component of a healthy, vibrant neighborhood,, especially one as insular and homogeneous as Uptown Dallas. I really meant "visitors" in general, which can include people from other Dallas neighborhoods or suburbs/towns throughout the DFW Metroplex visiting Uptown Dallas. I do believe that in order for it be considered a premier urban neighborhood you must be attractive to both residents AND visitors. You can't simply rely on the people living in the neighborhood to support the vibrant retail, restaurant, and bar scene. Not going to happen, especially with some of these Uptown homebodies. And you can't offer something that can be found in other areas of the Metroplex. If you're in Southlake, why make the journey to Uptown to go to DelFrisco's?

Btw- I do show out-of-towners all areas of Dallas, including Uptown. But the only unique things to show them about Uptown would be the trolley, Katy Trail, and the nightlife. Forget about the retail and most of the restaurants. Nothing truly special about them. I tend to receive high reviews for Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, Bishop Arts, and even the West End! Many have commented on the plastic, fake feel of West Village and the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde feel of Uptown during the day vs. night.
Uptown is now unfriendly, snooty and metrosexual to the point of being a caricature. Last time I went I vowed never to return.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:24 PM

394 posts, read 435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBUCKS View Post
Uptown is now unfriendly, snooty and metrosexual to the point of being a caricature. Last time I went I vowed never to return.
pretty much man

super metrosexual... Uptown Dallas shouldn't even be considered part of Texas any more

There's WAY TOO MANY OTHER areas with high concentrations of young professionals in Texas (or even Dallas alone) that I don't really understand the "draw" to it anymore.

It's not "southern" AT ALL

Old 09-27-2016, 04:01 PM

692 posts, read 855,799 times
Been through it a lot, but I have to admit that I never saw the appeal. It always struck me as the part of Dallas trying desperately to be bits of SFO or NYC.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:30 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
What is desperate about it?

Old 09-27-2016, 04:40 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times
I never noticed Dallas trying to be like any other city. Maybe Chicago(?). Dallas is trying to be a large, central, logistics hub, which Chicago is, but I don't see much else.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 PM

439 posts, read 437,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
pretty much man

super metrosexual... Uptown Dallas shouldn't even be considered part of Texas any more

There's WAY TOO MANY OTHER areas with high concentrations of young professionals in Texas (or even Dallas alone) that I don't really understand the "draw" to it anymore.

It's not "southern" AT ALL
Again, read an old encyclopedia about the city. Dallas has always took on the characteristics of a busy eastern city. It has never been Texan.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
Again, read an old encyclopedia about the city. Dallas has always took on the characteristics of a busy eastern city. It has never been Texan.
This question may come off as narrow minded as I'm a Texas boy myself but answer this simple YES or NO question about Dallas which is in "Texas" which is GENERALLY a state of "southern hospitality" and being laid back and hospitable:

Dallas is in Texas right???

Old 09-27-2016, 07:34 PM

If you can answer my question honestly...

Maybe you can see why most Texans in other cities, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc all DISLIKE (most)people from Dallas

I mean it can't just be some GIANT coincidence right??? I mean they are ALL cities INside of Texas right? lol

Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
You honestly think people from all those cities dislike "most" people from Dallas? Get a grip man.

I mean what's "weird" about Austin? From a transplant it's just a big college town vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas