Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james5219 View Post
Honestly the only reason that San Antonio is bigger than Dallas is because it's city limits are so large, and the majority of the San Antonio metro population lives in the city proper, where as Dallas has many, many suburbs where it's residents are spread out among.

Some numbers:
San Antonio is 460.9 square miles. At a population of 1.469m, it's density is 2880 people a square mile.
Dallas is 340.5 square miles. At a population of 1.300m, it's density is 3518 people a square mile.
Ha ha - you nailed him. Why is it that people like Garland so much more than Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston? It's 3,998 per square mile.

This is probably the most pointless thread ever in the Dallas forum, and I'm embarrassed I'm even participating.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:26 PM

439 posts, read 436,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Ha ha - you nailed him. Why is it that people like Garland so much more than Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston? It's 3,998 per square mile.

This is probably the most pointless thread ever in the Dallas forum, and I'm embarrassed I'm even participating.
This is the new internet. Everything that was once known as general infornation must now be converted into data and rehashed. Please be patient. Thank you.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
University Park is over 6,000 people per sq mile. It's kind of ironic that the more 'popular' an area is, the higher it's density gets in Texas, where supposedly everyone comes because they 'want space'. Plano is about to pass 4,000 per sq mile. Highland Park is pretty close to 4000 as well.

Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio grew by annexing lots of land which they probably shouldn't have done in hindsight. They are now responsible for all the roads, plumbing, etc and unfortunately it just takes a certain number of people (and their sweet tax money) to pay for all that expansion.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post

Why is Dallas the THIRD, yes the THIRD most populated city in Texas??? I'm just going off of facts here...

Because more people live there than in any other city in Texas except for two that are bigger.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 AM

617 posts, read 1,041,245 times
I admit I haven't read this whole thread, but the amount of interest and passion is impressive. Just had to chime in to say:

a) I'm from California, I love it here in Dallas, and I've never had any problems or been treated badly. I assume it's just like anything: rude people will be treated rudely, nice people will be treated nicely.

b) It's interesting to me that CA seems to arouse much stronger feelings here than say, New York or the Northeast as a whole. Is it because fewer people are moving here from the Northeast? Or because the Northeastern attitude is somehow more compatible with Dallas?? (that would surprise me). Or there are different expectations on both sides?
The reason it is surprising to me is that superficially there are more similarities between CA and TX, then there are between the Northeast and TX: both CA and TX are Sun Belt border states that grew rapidly after WWII, and are less shaped by pre-20th century migration as compared to the areas east of the Mississippi. Perhaps those basic similarities between CA and TX throw the obvious differences into sharper relief.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:26 AM

439 posts, read 436,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
I admit I haven't read this whole thread, but the amount of interest and passion is impressive. Just had to chime in to say:

a) I'm from California, I love it here in Dallas, and I've never had any problems or been treated badly. I assume it's just like anything: rude people will be treated rudely, nice people will be treated nicely.

b) It's interesting to me that CA seems to arouse much stronger feelings here than say, New York or the Northeast as a whole. Is it because fewer people are moving here from the Northeast? Or because the Northeastern attitude is somehow more compatible with Dallas?? (that would surprise me). Or there are different expectations on both sides?
The reason it is surprising to me is that superficially there are more similarities between CA and TX, then there are between the Northeast and TX: both CA and TX are Sun Belt border states that grew rapidly after WWII, and are less shaped by pre-20th century migration as compared to the areas east of the Mississippi. Perhaps those basic similarities between CA and TX throw the obvious differences into sharper relief.
The protestant conservatives in Texas fear the free flowing Marxist ideas of California. Indeed, central Dallas once possessed some of the largest churches in the world. Remember the high ranking fellow here that went on trial for attempting to murder his wife? I think he was in line to be the next world pope for the presbertarian church.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:28 AM

422 posts, read 542,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post

I don't have any stats to back this up, just my personal experience. But it seems to me the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida are more NE relocation havens. Quick flights and drives back up north from there, cheaper living. And now I'm hear, and I meet way more Californians than NE'ers. I also work for a company that has heavy West Coast roots so that could be a reason too.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:17 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
I don't have any stats to back this up, just my personal experience. But it seems to me the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida are more NE relocation havens. Quick flights and drives back up north from there, cheaper living. And now I'm hear, and I meet way more Californians than NE'ers. I also work for a company that has heavy West Coast roots so that could be a reason too.
I think you're right. I don't think I've ever met anyone from the Northeast down here (although I'm sure they exist). Yankees seem to like VA, NC, SC, and GA because they are closer to home, but offer a similar cost of living to Texas.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:35 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
These right wing talking points about California are always shallow, no substance, and appeal to the arrogant crowd that thinks they have "common sense".

People are leaving CA because it's too expensive and that has many reasons, some based on politics but mostly because people with the means can outspend the ones who leave for cheaper places.

If you listen to the great dumbing down of America "news" you'd think that people flee California because of gays,guns,God bull****.
Agreed. It's not like that way of thinking is making Mississippi a "go-to" destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas