Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 09:55 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Yep. Nothing but right wing talking points.

If the state were stacked up against nations, California would be the seventh-largest economy, with an equivalent gross domestic product greater than Brazil's. It's not just big, but also booming. California had a 3.29 percent growth rate last year, more than five times that of No. 3 Japan, almost twice No. 4 Germany, about half again as much as No. 5 U.K., almost three times No. 6 France and a third more than No. 1 U.S.
California last year created the most jobs of any state, 483,000, more than the second- and third-most-populous states Florida and Texas combined (they added 257,900 and 175,700) and at a faster rate than any of the world's developed economies. The pace of employment growth was almost triple the rate of job creation for the 19 countries that make up the euro zone and more than 3.5 times that of Japan, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
So? Texas's GDP is equivalent in size to Australia's and South Korea's.

And Texas has only 2/3 the population of Cali.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:31 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
So? Texas's GDP is equivalent in size to Australia's and South Korea's.

And Texas has only 2/3 the population of Cali.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._states_by_GDP

From 2014 to 2015, CA's GDP increased, TX's declined. I suspect that's because the Texas economy overall is tied more strongly to one industry (energy) than CA's, and said industry is fairly volatile (no pun intended).

California's GDP per capita in 2015 was about $62,500, Texas' was $59,700.

I've heard talk about how all those darn taxes and such are making CA an anti-business barren wasteland for at least a few decades, yet somehow California keeps attracting people and creating new companies. There are a lot of factors at play, and one might argue that CA is succeeding in spite of their policies rather than because of...but, economies are complicated things.

Overall the TX economy has grown faster than CA's over the last 13 years, although, again, the TX economy overall has more volatility. from 2002-2006, Texas grew at 6.1% clip compared to California's 3.8%, but from 2006-2015 Texas has grown at 3.1% rate compared to California's 2.9%.

They're the two largest states by population and economy in the US, and they represent very different ways of approaching politics, economics, and a zillion other things, so they attract a lot of attention. But things are more complicated than a few simple talking points.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:52 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Austin might. It's the most similar in terms of lifestyle to what you can find in California I think. DFW, not so much. The only way I see DFW becoming more like California is if all the neighborhoods south of Dallas are razed and brand new urban living type development goes up. Hipsters/liberals from California would flock to an area like that.
Austin has turned into a Portland or Eugene with hipsters and "trendy" people. It's only going to get worse.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:28 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Yep. Nothing but right wing talking points.

If the state were stacked up against nations, California would be the seventh-largest economy, with an equivalent gross domestic product greater than Brazil's. It's not just big, but also booming. California had a 3.29 percent growth rate last year, more than five times that of No. 3 Japan, almost twice No. 4 Germany, about half again as much as No. 5 U.K., almost three times No. 6 France and a third more than No. 1 U.S.
California last year created the most jobs of any state, 483,000, more than the second- and third-most-populous states Florida and Texas combined (they added 257,900 and 175,700) and at a faster rate than any of the world's developed economies. The pace of employment growth was almost triple the rate of job creation for the 19 countries that make up the euro zone and more than 3.5 times that of Japan, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
And they did all that whilst in the midst of a historic drought and whilst literally on fire. There is also something to be said about all the low skill/low wage jobs in Texas' jobs reports.

I've spent half my life in each state...get along you two, I love you both.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:04 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
What are your thoughts on the immigration issue going on there and how that relates to the DFW area?
Immigration will ruin the whole country eventually if the spigot is not turned off. There's no reason, in the long run, that it would be different in Texas than in California.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:21 AM

890 posts, read 1,052,573 times
well, I'd certainly take the year-round nice weather anyway!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:30 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
And they did all that whilst in the midst of a historic drought and whilst literally on fire. There is also something to be said about all the low skill/low wage jobs in Texas' jobs reports.
The progressive left always tries to reply with that "low skill/low wage" theme (without anything to back it up) because God-fearing Texas is the dusty OK Corral and it's heard of readin' and writin'; and the industry, services, and support in California are populated by well-compensated gender-studies majors.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:55 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._states_by_GDP

From 2014 to 2015, CA's GDP increased, TX's declined. I suspect that's because the Texas economy overall is tied more strongly to one industry (energy) than CA's, and said industry is fairly volatile (no pun intended).

California's GDP per capita in 2015 was about $62,500, Texas' was $59,700.

I've heard talk about how all those darn taxes and such are making CA an anti-business barren wasteland for at least a few decades, yet somehow California keeps attracting people and creating new companies. There are a lot of factors at play, and one might argue that CA is succeeding in spite of their policies rather than because of...but, economies are complicated things.

Overall the TX economy has grown faster than CA's over the last 13 years, although, again, the TX economy overall has more volatility. from 2002-2006, Texas grew at 6.1% clip compared to California's 3.8%, but from 2006-2015 Texas has grown at 3.1% rate compared to California's 2.9%.

They're the two largest states by population and economy in the US, and they represent very different ways of approaching politics, economics, and a zillion other things, so they attract a lot of attention. But things are more complicated than a few simple talking points.

I'd agree most of us, I'm guilty of it, see through our political eyes too much, too often.

It's also obvious CA has several tremendous problems nominally and contrasted with Texas. Here are few.
1. I've posted this before but it's salient.
Big State Purchasing Power at Median Household Income

State.............Median HHI..............Purchasing Power
Texas............53,875........................53, 100, 15th and other than Hawaii the states above TX are very white.
CA................60,487........................44 ,900, 40th
FL.................46,140........................4 4,100, 44th
NY................54,310........................35 ,600, last
*Sources Census Bureau and C2ER, from Advisor Perspectives

It seems pretty obvious that poor purchasing power metrics in CA are a key driver as to why so many young and young well educated people leave CA.
CA middle class fleeing to lower-cost states | CalWatchdog.com

2. Very high home prices and rents in part due to leftist policies in CA and along the West Coast are driving black flight to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Austin and others.
Why has there been an exodus of black residents from West Coast liberal hubs? - LA Times

3. Real GDP in Texas has been up every year since 2005 save 2009.* Source BEA

4. California has grossly disproportionate numbers of people on welfare. Not quite 30% of the nation's total.

5. U6 unemployment in Texas is 8.5%, CA - 11.7%, LA County 12.1%. *ending June 2016 BLS data. Whatever the problem is in LA county I can't explain but that U6 number has been terribly high for a decade.

6. People on the left seem preoccupied about income inequality but silent about the fact that generally liberal large metros have worse income equality numbers than say Dallas/Plano/Irving
Income Inequality Data for Metro Areas

7. 4 in 10 Californians are living in or near poverty.
Poverty in California (PPIC Publication)

8. The Census Bureau's supplemental poverty measures tagged CA's real poverty rates well over 20% for several years - much higher than Texas.
Experimental Poverty Measures

9. For fun
https://www.aei.org/publication/us-g...or-the-donald/

Old 09-11-2016, 11:59 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
The progressive left always tries to reply with that "low skill/low wage" theme (without anything to back it up) because God-fearing Texas is the dusty OK Corral and it's heard of readin' and writin'; and the industry, services, and support in California are populated by well-compensated gender-studies majors.
Just keep in mind people who make that claim simply do not know what they are talking about.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:24 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,319 times
Quote:
You can go away...there's no rational dialogue to be had with you. I saw your 9/11 post. You're creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas