Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Texas may never be just like California, but it sure is getting crowded and expensive.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:13 AM

201 posts, read 237,500 times
Not just CA, people are moving to DFW from all over the US. Focusing on people moving moving from California, it will be wrong to generalize everyone in category of "I want o carry my California everywhere". I am sure some of transplants will miss what they had in previous state or residency and try to re-create it here (politics, food, culture, value etc). But transplants from California are not a very recognizable group with distinct characteristics. I would argue that people from NE are more prone to miss their home state rather than Californians.

Considering California is a large state with huge cultural divide between north, south and central, there is no way we transplants can bring Calirfonication to Texas. Also keep in mind that there a reason why they are leaving California.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:06 PM

537 posts, read 598,098 times
California's high real estate values are due to many factors, some of the most major being their amazing climate and proximity to a massive, beautiful coastline. Texas has some of the worst weather in the US along with allergies and insects, and its geography is incredibly dull and boring. So no, DFW will probably never catch up with San Francisco, although the gap may close quite a bit.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 PM

537 posts, read 598,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It wouldn't hurt Texas (or California for that matter) to become a little more purple. The sheer amount of partisan absurdity in both states is nauseating.
I find that people who identify as either Republican or Democrat tend to be the least open minded on issues. Spent a lot of time in conservative cities and liberal cities, and most people belonging to either party blindly support it like it's their favorite sports team. Independents and third party supports tend to be more rational and free thinking in my experience.

So yea, Californians and Texans mostly are the same coin, just different sides.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:43 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
Here's what happened in the Intermountain west post Rodney King riots. Californians moved en masse to Utah, Idaho, Colorado. I grew up 15 miles outside of Salt Lake. In the early 80's my parents paid 50k for their house in a small rural town. People moving from California could move to Utah, pay cash for a house and have tons of cash left over. Houses in the town I grew up in are now 500k and it'seems like Plano/Frisco. It's wall to wall people. The same thing is starting to happen here. Not so affordable anymore for locals, but cheaper for transplants. DFW is at a turning point and home values will keep going up as long as people keep moving here.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:18 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Here's what happened in the Intermountain west post Rodney King riots. Californians moved en masse to Utah, Idaho, Colorado. I grew up 15 miles outside of Salt Lake. In the early 80's my parents paid 50k for their house in a small rural town. People moving from California could move to Utah, pay cash for a house and have tons of cash left over. Houses in the town I grew up in are now 500k and it'seems like Plano/Frisco. It's wall to wall people. The same thing is starting to happen here. Not so affordable anymore for locals, but cheaper for transplants. DFW is at a turning point and home values will keep going up as long as people keep moving here.
Grew up in Boise ID, same story, more or less.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:36 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I heard some of the towns were going to be renamed: Planofornia, Friscofornia.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:39 PM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Even parts of Garland pretty much look like CA now too. Garland, Plano, Frisco, all have it. You can see it not just in the emigration, but in the build styles of the new construction and retail centers.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
they have gas stations that advertise a cash price (which is like 50 cents higher than TX) but also have separate debit prices that are higher and credit card prices that are a dollar or more higher than the advertised cash price.
I've seen this at stations in Texas where they charge more for credit card gas purchases than cash/debit purchases. One I can think of is a Shell in Arlington off I-30 and Cooper.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:27 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSD88 View Post
I'm not sure what gas prices are in Tx, but they're about $3 in SoCal right now for premium maybe a little less. I've never seen a place charge much more than $0.20 per gallon more for a credit card purchase and most places are $0.06-$0.10 higher. Nice theory you have though about scamming. I've seen this practice in other states as well. I remember back before the early 80's that there was always a cash discount. Of course, that was before credit cards became mainstream.

Housing prices are so high because people want to live in Ca, just the same as all the people moving to Tx and why it has experienced an increase. Are building codes more difficult in Ca than Tx, sure, but there really isn't much land within an hour of a major work center in LA/SD/OC, just as there isn't much land in Highland Park, Uptown and even Plano for that matter. Not sure where you are talking about in CA, but it's not quite true. Could there be more density building sure, but I suppose the same thing could be said about Tx.

This is old but it salient.
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~raphae...n%20110804.pdf

Across the country highly regulated areas consistently show a lower price elasticity of supply ergo regulations do increase prices and the guys above say the effects are significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas