Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM

439 posts, read 438,460 times

Advertisements

How ironic would that be if the Katy Trail were to acheive such a status. In the early eighties, prime began moving from Main Street within downtown Dallas to over to Ross Avenue in the Arts District. Over time, it moved a little more over to the Woodall Rogers Freeway. Now that designation goes to McKinney Avenue. A lot of money is now being invested in the Turtle Creek neighborhood of Oak Lawn. It makes one ask the reason why. I think it is the Katy Trail. The great thing about that overall plaza is the many trails help do away with the question of urban walkability. If the most prime corridor of real estate becomes a walking trail, then that criticism will become mute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 07:11 PM

577 posts, read 458,628 times
A lot of money is indeed being invested in the Turtle Creek and Oak Lawn neighborhood, but the same could be said about Downtown, East Dallas, Cedars, Oak Cliff, Design Districts, etc..

I think, in the long run, the 'prime corridor' will start to move back towards Downtown, because Downtown already has some great existing infrastructure. They have DART rail access, MATA Trolley, Bishop Arts Street Car, and I'd say the sidewalks, in general, are much wider and more equipped to handle more people than they are in Uptown.

I have heard there are plans to convert Harwood St into a pedestrian corridor starting at the Katy Trail, going to Klyde Warren Park, and then eventually ending at the Farmer's Market. That particular street certainly has a ton of potential, but it will take a long time to get there. I think if/when we get a Katy Trail ramp that connects it to Harwood, we'll see a lot of pedestrian activity from KT to KWP, as there, currently, isn't a great way to walk from one to the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: