Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:36 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,650,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Dallas can actually improve in these bolded categories. I would like to see Dallas become a more cutting edge and innovative city. It would make the city more interesting than the copy and paste feel that seems to plague the metro.
Exactly. Los Angeles and most cities out West lack the history that the East Coast and Midwest offer. However, cities like Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle have plenty of character, tourist opportunities, and decent public transportation.

As a tourist, I'd much rather visit a place like Santa Fe than Dallas because Santa Fe offers things for tourists and has a unique character that makes a visit worthwhile.

Before I moved to Texas, I couldn't name anything I would care to see in Dallas except for the JFK stuff. And most people probably don't even know about that. Their only experience with Dallas is having a layover at the airport. That really needs to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 10:56 PM

101 posts, read 169,870 times
Quote:
How come the dfw area gets bashed so much here on city data ? It seems dfw area loses to just about any other city/metro here on city data ? Is it really that bad ?
What cities are people comparing it to? There are positive and negative attributes about every city - Dallas has a lot more positives than negatives. I think the city matches up very highly in relation to overall quality of life. Based upon my experiences, I'd only rather live in Denver, Raleigh (really an underrated city - plus convenient to the beach and mountains), Charlotte, or Seattle over DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
No one moves to DFW because they want to move here for the city (unlike places like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston). It's always for one of these reasons: cheaper housing (compared to CA or the NE), job market, no cold weather, and no income tax.

Many large cities in the US offer great public transportation, tourist opportunities, beautiful architecture, history, and easy access to other places. DFW offers very few of these. When you compare DFW to metros with a similar population, you'll realize how DFW falls short in many areas.
I moved here a few years ago and I love the city. I think most residents don't care about architecture, tourist activities (for example how many San Antonio residents actually visit their tourist traps) or history.

I also think with two international airports, there is a lot of access to other places - I can fly directly almost anywhere in the United States and to most European capitals.

I'll concede that the public transportation here in Dallas is inadequate for a city it's size. However it's more a function of the city growing up around the car. Older cities (like in Europe) are much more dense and therefore the public transportation is more comprehensive because of greater utilization.

Focusing on the positives:
- Job market is strong
- Affordable family friendly housing with access to good schools
- Good road network
- Thriving food scene
- Good shopping districts
- Plenty of entertainment options (4 professional franchises, museums, aquarium, two zoos, and a plethora of other activities (Topgolf, Bowl & Barrel, Dave & Busters, upscale movie theaters)
- Golf courses that are playable year round
- Good trails network in both Dallas and the northern suburbs along with many parks
- Multiple universities to further ones education (TCU, SMU, UTD, UTA, UNT)
- Decent arts scene (could be better)
- Plenty of lakes for recreation

My general consensus is that for quality of life, Dallas, Fort Worth and the suburbs offer something for everyone. I agree that DFW doesn't have world class amenities, but it's got more than enough to be attractive to a lot of people.

Quote:
^ perfect explaination. Don't forget about North Texas's lack of geographic beauty. No mountains and no nearby beach.
Head northeast out of town, beautiful rolling prairie. Or head southwest of Fort Worth, will quickly get into the area north of Hill Country which is also very beautiful. Don't forget about the beautiful lakes we have all around us.

Having lived in a beach town, I can much rather say I'd live in DFW. For the first several months I spent quite a bit of time of the beach, but after a while it gets rather boring.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:28 PM

394 posts, read 431,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTexasBound View Post
What cities are people comparing it to? There are positive and negative attributes about every city - Dallas has a lot more positives than negatives. I think the city matches up very highly in relation to overall quality of life. Based upon my experiences, I'd only rather live in Denver, Raleigh (really an underrated city - plus convenient to the beach and mountains), Charlotte, or Seattle over DFW.

I moved here a few years ago and I love the city. I think most residents don't care about architecture, tourist activities (for example how many San Antonio residents actually visit their tourist traps) or history.

I also think with two international airports, there is a lot of access to other places - I can fly directly almost anywhere in the United States and to most European capitals.

I'll concede that the public transportation here in Dallas is inadequate for a city it's size. However it's more a function of the city growing up around the car. Older cities (like in Europe) are much more dense and therefore the public transportation is more comprehensive because of greater utilization.

Focusing on the positives:
- Job market is strong
- Affordable family friendly housing with access to good schools
- Good road network
- Thriving food scene
- Good shopping districts
- Plenty of entertainment options (4 professional franchises, museums, aquarium, two zoos, and a plethora of other activities (Topgolf, Bowl & Barrel, Dave & Busters, upscale movie theaters)
- Golf courses that are playable year round
- Good trails network in both Dallas and the northern suburbs along with many parks
- Multiple universities to further ones education (TCU, SMU, UTD, UTA, UNT)
- Decent arts scene (could be better)
- Plenty of lakes for recreation

My general consensus is that for quality of life, Dallas, Fort Worth and the suburbs offer something for everyone. I agree that DFW doesn't have world class amenities, but it's got more than enough to be attractive to a lot of people.

Head northeast out of town, beautiful rolling prairie. Or head southwest of Fort Worth, will quickly get into the area north of Hill Country which is also very beautiful. Don't forget about the beautiful lakes we have all around us.

Having lived in a beach town, I can much rather say I'd live in DFW. For the first several months I spent quite a bit of time of the beach, but after a while it gets rather boring.
You make some great points that I won't argue with... BUT

I think, and this is maybe the media/popularity faults, but most people want to equate "DFW" == "Dallas"... and that is just SIMPLY, SIMPLY NOT TRUE

If you take in the ENTIRE area and include Fort Worth then it's hard to argue... too many people have this narrowminded, pretty much asinine, assumption that "DFW" == "Dallas" and "Dallas only" and that may be why. Those are generally people whom have only ever been to central Dallas/Dallas proper and fail to experience ALL of the metroplex, Fort Worth included of course... which I can agree is pretty tough to beat.

The north Dallas suburbs overall can easily rival the ones in neighboring cities, Austin and Houston, but it's honestly a "toss up".. I wouldn't define any as absolutely superior to others... but when you include those AND( and I HIGHLIGHT "AND") Fort Worth... it's hard to beat

Too often, people want to equate "DFW" == "ONLY Dallas(proper)" and that's what gets that negative/bashing context

Old 09-26-2016, 02:37 AM

4 posts, read 6,127 times
I'll tell you I've heard just the opposite.

We're relocating to DFW now and everyone I tell that I'm moving there tells me "oh you're going to love it!"

"Dallas is awesome" "i wish i could go back"

Just thought i'd pass along!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:55 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,222,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingWestHelpMe View Post
^ perfect explaination. Don't forget about North Texas's lack of geographic beauty. No mountains and no nearby beach.
It is the ugliest city I have ever been to. Dallas is like the McMansion of cities. From the outside it looks awkward and gawdy and violates every law of good aesthetic taste, but inside there is a ton of square footage and they hired a kick ass interior decorator who really did some cool things with some of the rooms.

It's not just that North Texas isn't pretty, prairie can be pretty (not stunning, but pretty) but the way things are built here do not compliment the prairie.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
People mainly move here for economic reasons; if not for the cheap housing and relatively healthy job market, far fewer people would move here voluntarily. The scenery is bland and the weather is awful.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:25 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,748,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTexasBound View Post

I like living in Dallas, but we don't have two international airports - Love is domestic. And while we have cheap, convenient and plentiful flights to places like Denver (which I love), let's try to be honest with ourselves about shortcomings. Flights to Europe from DFW are downright awful. Too many are on American Airlines, which has old planes and bad service for trans-Atlantic flights (no free alcohol is basically a deal killer for me). The few direct flights we have are expensive because the routes are not as popular as they are from places like Chicago, New York, and Boston.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,689,281 times
In case you haven't watched the news, AA is in the process of replacing its entire fleet now that it has emerged from bankruptcy and the merger with US Air is complete. Those old planes will be gone very soon!

Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM

8,020 posts, read 3,587,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I like living in Dallas, but we don't have two international airports - Love is domestic. And while we have cheap, convenient and plentiful flights to places like Denver (which I love), let's try to be honest with ourselves about shortcomings. Flights to Europe from DFW are downright awful. Too many are on American Airlines, which has old planes and bad service for trans-Atlantic flights (no free alcohol is basically a deal killer for me). The few direct flights we have are expensive because the routes are not as popular as they are from places like Chicago, New York, and Boston.
And to my amazement the number of non-stop flights to Europe is actually decreasing. KLM for instance had a seasonal to Amsterdam, but dropped it recently. American had flight to Zurich, that's also gone, and so on.

P.S. Wine/beer is free on transatlantic routes, unless they decide to switch again on this, lol.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:18 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,748,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
And to my amazement the number of non-stop flights to Europe is actually decreasing. KLM for instance had a seasonal to Amsterdam, but dropped it recently. American had flight to Zurich, that's also gone, and so on.

P.S. Wine/beer is free on transatlantic routes, unless they decide to switch again on this, lol.
I guess this goes in waves then. It wasn't free when I flew to Madrid on AA (hands down worst flight I've ever been on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas