Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 PM

394 posts, read 434,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Those are all debatable (bolded) depending on the person. Although I wouldn't consider Austin as being more urban than Dallas... not by a long shot. Is it more fun? I would say overall yes, but at 11 PM on a Friday or Saturday night, it's a wash. You can't go wrong either way. Other than that, I agree with the bit about the superficiality, pretentiousness, and $30K Millionaires that seems to be a problem in Dallas.

I don't find Dallas to be pretentious by wanting to be a more creative, innovative, and cutting edge city. If I recall, it likes to pride itself on "creating something out of nothing" or its motto, "big things happen here." It shouldn't be plagued by apathy. What grinds my gears here is that a good chunk of the population is obsessed with keeping up with Jones's or so apathetic about this place that they're only here for a paycheck. That creates a "soulless" vibe.
I agree with your post but...

what I bolded IS being pretentious bro LOL

why should it matter?? We are all in our 20s and 30s... why does it matter to be with what's "in" or keeping with what's "new"...

This is a ridiculous viewpoint on life that I never understood... sure when I was in college (and didn't EARN my own money lol) I felt this way... but as a grown adult, person, and human being. I feel that it shouldn't matter

It's what creates the "pretentious vibe".. Why can't people just "live" their lives and "have fun" and not be so uptight and worried about this or that(as grown adults making income and whom are college educated). I think that that's what turns people away

It's like running into someone in Uptown who's late 20s, early 30s and still "cares" MORE(emphasis on MORE) on what people think of he/she based off what he/she owns (or wears) than the type of person they are

Well... come to think of it... I get your "soulless" comment pretty dam good then LOLOLOL

Last edited by The_Man74; 09-26-2016 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
How is dallas not "fun" ? What exactly do you mean by "not fun"?
it's not as "laid back" and just trying to have a good time and enjoy life

Many people are way too uptight all the time... it's like... just "R-E-L-A-X" and live your life

Old 09-26-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I think you're right about people liking where they grew up. I taught school in a small town in Missouri. Most folks left for college and swore never to come back, but ended up moving back anyways.

I'm originally from Raleigh, NC, but haven't lived there in a while. When I left, I was so happy to be living somewhere else. But now that I'm in DFW, I would kill to be that close to the beach, mountains, and larger East Coast cities, and have a cost of living that's rather low.
This is a good point.

I think people like where they grew up or places similar because it's the "type of person" they are

I've worked with many people from the East Coast.. mainly VA, SC, GA... and they tend to be pretty frank/blunt, and honest about all things lol

I admire these traits as it shows character and courage/boldness I think. And they tend to have a good sense of intellect and natural beauty.

The thing is... I think it all comes down to the "type of person" you are in the end.. there isn't an ACTUAL right/wrong answer here

Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
Northpark is better than either Galleria.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:38 PM

630 posts, read 657,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
That being said, how many airports in the country, let alone the world can you fly to a combination of cities like Bueno Aires, Tokyo, Dubai, and Sydney direct?
many other cities offer flights to all continents. For the most part those ultra long flights are just for connecting passengers whose final destination is not dallas...

Old 09-28-2016, 07:48 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
it's not as "laid back" and just trying to have a good time and enjoy life

Many people are way too uptight all the time... it's like... just "R-E-L-A-X" and live your life
Being laid back and enjoying life are unrelated to "fun".

Old 10-01-2016, 11:58 PM

850 posts, read 796,196 times
Is it true native texans think the world revolves around texas.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:44 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Is it true native texans think the world revolves around texas.
Not at all, based on my observations.

However, there are always a few who think that Texas is the best place on earth and they cannot fathom how anyone would dislike the state.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:27 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
I went hiking this weekend with a gentleman who lived in Dallas (most recently Uptown) for over 2 decades before moving to Denver a few years ago.

We talked about what we did in DFW and how we ended up in Denver. IMHO he described the Metroplex perfectly. He said it's easy to live there and jobs are plentiful, but for all the amenities it has the area is lacking severely in natural beauty and outdoorsiness. He grew to loathe the fact that really getting out into nature required many hours of driving or a trip to the airport.

When I asked him what he missed after living there for a good chunk of his life he told me his friends.

I got a laugh when he said "It's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there."

A view of the backdrop for our hike.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Looks like the Hill Country out near Montel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas