Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,943,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
That's pretty. The thing about places with lots of natural beauty is that the cities themselves don't usually interest me. Take away the mountains and you'd probably have a difficult time selling Denver over Dallas.
Best post. I agree the cities in Texas are a lot of fun as far for shopping, dining, socializing, networking, business building, drinking, clubbing, sports, indoor recreational.

My dream town is Portland, Oregon. It's so beautiful, so laid back. Hands down the best for me. But the city itself so small and so sleepy at night compared to Houston. I'd have to really slow down my pace to live there and I'm not ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 12:09 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,650,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
If I would take anything from your posts, it would be that Dallas should have done a better job of preserving its history. That much I certainly agree with. Everything else you bring up seems to be a matter of personal taste. That faux- Spanish shopping center in that first pic would be what I call tacky. I hate it when cities employ architectural or landscaping properties that aren't related to the local setting.

Leafy neighborhoods exist in Dallas, but I take it you've never been through Lakewood or Kessler Park.
I think KC designed the Plaza like that because Seville is their sister city.

Fort Worth has done a much better job than Dallas at preserving history and heritage. What happened to older homes and buildings in Texas? Were they just torn down for newer construction? That's really a shame.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:11 PM

LePoison your pics of KC are cool and beautiful but your comparison to "bland" Dallas is a tad spurious. Dallas has recently grown in the last two decades and most of the development would be new and "tacky" around a lot of older buildings with the bland architecture. Texas architecture like its city layouts have always been about practicality over aesthetics. I would look at the difference between an older city like Chicago and Dallas/Houston as the difference between Rome, Italy and Dubai. The former has a lot of older architecture that's beautiful and historic while the latter is very new and modern. No one is going to build the older style so it's more practical to go with the development many urbanists find "tacky."

Old 10-05-2016, 02:43 PM

I was under the impression that Dallas was the best city in Texas that combines some elements of scenery of Austin and the big city of Houston. I thought Dallas had some small rolling hills and wasn't totally flat and there was access to many lakes a short drive out. Is this not the case? I thought it was a good choice for those that can't choose between Austin and Houston.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was under the impression that Dallas was the best city in Texas that combines some elements of scenery of Austin and the big city of Houston. I thought Dallas had some small rolling hills and wasn't totally flat and there was access to many lakes a short drive out. Is this not the case? I thought it was a good choice for those that can't choose between Austin and Houston.
I wouldn't say that's the case. I'm a UT-Austin alum. I haven't lived in Austin in 15 years, but I clearly remember what it looks like (or looked like then) and most of DFW doesn't look anything like that. There are some rolling hills but the northern suburbs are largely flat prairie. (Case in point: "Plano" means "flat" or "level" in Spanish.)

If you can't choose between Austin and Houston, maybe check out San Antonio. Certainly more hilly than Dallas. Hotter, but more hilly. And better tacos.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 PM

439 posts, read 432,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I wouldn't say that's the case. I'm a UT-Austin alum. I haven't lived in Austin in 15 years, but I clearly remember what it looks like (or looked like then) and most of DFW doesn't look anything like that. There are some rolling hills but the northern suburbs are largely flat prairie. (Case in point: "Plano" means "flat" or "level" in Spanish.)

If you can't choose between Austin and Houston, maybe check out San Antonio. Certainly more hilly than Dallas. Hotter, but more hilly. And better tacos.
Show some respect for that flat land under Plano! It stands at the beginnings of the rich black soil of the bread basket! The heartland! That very trail leading northwards towards Oklahoma noodling!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:47 PM

439 posts, read 432,159 times
Quote:
Dallas is despised as the best city in Texas. Let's not beat around the bush here. That is the answer to the question in the OP asking why Dallas gets so much bad press.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:13 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,937,168 times
I personally like the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex okay myself but idk if I would live there again.
-WT

Old 10-05-2016, 11:52 PM

8,020 posts, read 3,587,226 times
Quote:
LePoison your pics of KC are cool and beautiful but your comparison to "bland" Dallas is a tad spurious. Dallas has recently grown in the last two decades and most of the development would be new and "tacky" around a lot of older buildings with the bland architecture. Texas architecture like its city layouts have always been about practicality over aesthetics. I would look at the difference between an older city like Chicago and Dallas/Houston as the difference between Rome, Italy and Dubai. The former has a lot of older architecture that's beautiful and historic while the latter is very new and modern. No one is going to build the older style so it's more practical to go with the development many urbanists find "tacky."
Well, when you put on the biggest faux mansard roof , it is going to be tacky...

Old 10-05-2016, 11:56 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,375,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Because a lot of DFW is suburban and CD disproportionately attracts people who vastly prefer high levels of urbanity. Based on my experience, though, most people don't care one way or the other.

Besides that, it is the usual suspects. DFW doesn't have the best weather. DFW is also growing a lot, which tends to draw strong opinions towards the metro, especially since a lot of people on CD are incapable of believing that some (many) people have different preferences and/or does not value urbanity as much. Funny enough, a lot of the bashers have never been to DFW. Personally, I love DFW.
DFW has some of the best weather in Texas, besides places like Abilene or Amarillo, IMO. Most places southwards are way too hot for way too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas