Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,398,623 times

Advertisements

I never understand how people can just look at a person and know that they are a 30k millionaire��. I think that people should be able to do or spend their money how they want without being judged at first glance.

First of all if you see a so-called db at a bar...how can you see what kind of car they drive???? Im sure if you seen them in so-called "pretentious" uptown Dallas then they used the valet.��

Some of you people go overboard to label a group of people by blanket stereotypes. Just because a person owns a bmw and decides to party in uptown does not mean that they are a 30k millionaire.

And just for the record....if a person LIVES in uptown they make well over 30k.

C'mon people!!....Uptown is a cool happening place...weather you like it or not. People who move here look to live in the action filled places. Uptown cant be matched. "30k millionaire" is an envious term to me. Its no way to actually tell if those really exist........stop it people. ..everyones situation is different. Just go out and have a good time and quit thinking that you are better than people who make less than you....those people like to have fun too....and they probably look at 80k millionaires like thay are lame, dull and boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 10:47 AM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
This is easily one of the most obnoxious myths that continually gets restated as "fact" on C-D. People do all kinds of different things with their money. I feel pretty confident that someone driving around in a Pagani or a Bentley or a Ferrari has "serious assets" but they definitely stand out from a crowd. So do the people in a BMW M-class, or an AMG.

Some people with lots of money drive an F-150 or a Camry and are fine with it. But this C-D junk that "all seriously rich people don't spend money on fancy things" is absurd.
I'd tend to agree with you. For lots of reasons Dallas/DFW is a car city. It's spread out, we have lots of good driving weather and great freeways etc. Also among the professional classes discretionary incomes here are very high and the area has a profusion of rich and exceptionally rich people - the yield is the area sports a lot of really nice cars, boats, airplanes and homes etc.

Trying to judge someone's financial position by their car is a serious fools errand.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:59 AM

394 posts, read 431,900 times
I think the take home is that the stereotype actually ORIGINATED and EXISTS in Dallas ...

I'm pretty sure there are other young professionals with the same income level (if not higher) in the other big cities in Texas. Actually, I'm sure of it.

It's not based off of just car as Texas has a car culture and I love my M class as well. But you can EASILY tell actually by the way someone "acts". Go visit midtown Houston, West 7th Fort Worth or any of the scenes in Austin and you will EASILY be able to tell the difference

Guys my point here is to not discredit those who actually do own good income and like to have a good time(I would say I fit into both of those categories), but the scene or "vibe" is easily recognizable. Sure it's fun and I've been to a few bachelor parties in uptown with 100+ people easily and it's fun .. But the general vibe you get with the "fakeness"(in general) oh man you can tell. This isn't limited to nightlife too as an FYI

I think someone I met at the Mosaic once told me succinctly in downtown Dallas once told me once that people in the uptown scene just need to"just grow up" once lol.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:07 AM

5,254 posts, read 6,350,894 times
Quote:
It's not based off of just car as Texas has a car culture and I love my M class as well.
Thanks for telling us what kind of car you drive!

Old 10-03-2016, 11:08 AM

The vibe will be very difficult to explain unless you've ever actually lived in other places and/or stayed with friends for an extended amount of time in other places

And we're not talking about just going out to an area for a day or something to clear that up Because a day doesn't really do you any good

Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
You're welcome

Old 10-03-2016, 11:20 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,743,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Twice, actually.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,075,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
This is easily one of the most obnoxious myths that continually gets restated as "fact" on C-D. People do all kinds of different things with their money. I feel pretty confident that someone driving around in a Pagani or a Bentley or a Ferrari has "serious assets" but they definitely stand out from a crowd. So do the people in a BMW M-class, or an AMG.

Some people with lots of money drive an F-150 or a Camry and are fine with it. But this C-D junk that "all seriously rich people don't spend money on fancy things" is absurd.
I (sadly) couldn't rep you again. Its utter nonsense, and its frequently repeated on this thread.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:37 AM

246 posts, read 414,158 times
I drive a BMW and I am not a millionaire. In fact I am no where close to being a millionaire. I have saved up a few thousands though :-)

Old 10-03-2016, 12:05 PM

I think you all are missing the point here...

the original post about the M, being able to afford valet, and going to LifeTime was a pun within a pun... and the fact that I wore a comfortable polo and khakis was just an example of it

I didn't have to "try to impress" or "dress to impress" anyone... I already know how much money I make and I was just out to have a good time in Legacy. Which I did. That was quite literally the point. I won't ever "overly dress up" to go out just for the sake of "impressing" people, but you will get that ALOT in Uptown lol

You will see the opposite in Uptown... with people OVERLY dressy when they can't afford other things, of course this is NOT true about everyone(and it's ignorant to think that) but it's much more prevalent than you would think. It is much more prevalent to see someone overly dressed bragging openly about how much they make yet they can't afford (honest) nice things and/or to have their CC denied at a bar, this happens ALOT actually LOL. That's the annoying part that gets on the ones who actually do make money's nerves... so that's the "fake" stereotype. This is where and WHY I was giving Legacy props
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas