Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:03 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Would you mind posting a link to that research? Thanks.
Looks like it was proposed in 2002. PDF alert

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-...el/frquest.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:27 AM

504 posts, read 801,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
They have multiple names. Just depends on where you are from. I've always called it a service road.

As I was researching it, I found that TXDOT was considering dropping frontage roads. Not sure if it actually went through.

They are functional, but I think highways look better without.

This looks better

Than this
Yes they have several names. I was only pointing out their correct technical name. Who cares about "looks"? And that's your personal opinion anyway. Roads are built to be functional and frontage roads are highly functional. If anything TxDOT is going the other way. Hundreds and hundreds of miles of old 2 way frontage roads in rural areas are being converted to one way frontage roads.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:12 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Here in the Houston metro, the term I use and hear all others use (that = zero head scratching) is 'feeder road'. I first encountered the system in Dallas in 1988 on a trip, and was appalled that the onramps were so short (I was used to Northern and Southern California). I moved to Texas in 2008, and I prefer the system over others, but it did take some time to completely acclimate. I especially like the 'bypass the traffic light' U-turns. I've driven cars that I've owned in 48 different states, and the one type of roadbed/intersection that cracks me up....'jug-handles'. I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere other than New Jersey. My understanding is that they increase safety during periods when black ice is an issue, but I've never driven in New Jersey during 'snow and ice' times of the year (I've been there during inclement weather, but not with a vehicle).

Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...?client=safari

"Frontage roads were the vision of Dewitt Greer, the state's chief highway engineer from 1940 to 1968. He initially wanted to cut right-of-way acquisition costs by providing landowners affected by highway expansion with access to the new road, which lowered the price."

Frontage Roads are common in parts of Arkansas, Mississippi, and Metro Detroit, but none to the extent that Texas has. They are ugly, but functional.

To the OP, it seems as if you're miserable in Texas and finding things to nitpick and complain about on this message board as a substitution for therapy. Are you making any efforts to relocate anytime soon?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
To the OP, it seems as if you're miserable in Texas and finding things to nitpick and complain about on this message board as a substitution for therapy. Are you making any efforts to relocate anytime soon?
My post wasn't negative at all. I was just wondering why Texas uses service road on ramps. I've never seen it in any other state, so there must have been a good reason to use them here. You answered the question perfectly.

But to answer your question, yes, I've been applying to jobs elsewhere. I'm not miserable in Texas (I actually like Austin and San Antonio). I'd love to live in a more enjoyable area in DFW (like near downtown Dallas), but then I'd have to drive 45min-1hr in traffic to get to work in Arlington. And since I'm underpaid at my job (I found that out about a month after starting), there is really no reason to stay here. I'm young, don't have any kids, and can move anywhere. I like a lot of things about living here, but there are some things that this area is lacking that I cannot live without.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:29 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Let us know when you move we will come help you pack. Texas isn't for everyone.i assume yiu don't teach economics. Good thing.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:41 PM

422 posts, read 542,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...?client=safari

"Frontage roads were the vision of Dewitt Greer, the state's chief highway engineer from 1940 to 1968. He initially wanted to cut right-of-way acquisition costs by providing landowners affected by highway expansion with access to the new road, which lowered the price."

Frontage Roads are common in parts of Arkansas, Mississippi, and Metro Detroit, but none to the extent that Texas has. They are ugly, but functional.

Not sure why everyone is coming down on OP for his question. I didn't find it negative at all. I was also blown away when I moved here at the frontage road situation. I love the UTurns though!

Old 10-09-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Let us know when you move we will come help you pack. Texas isn't for everyone.i assume yiu don't teach economics. Good thing.

You're right, everyone has places they enjoy living. What's right for Bob might not be right for Jim. What does economics have to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
Not sure why everyone is coming down on OP for his question. I didn't find it negative at all. I was also blown away when I moved here at the frontage road situation. I love the UTurns though!
Probably because I strongly dislike DFW and am rather vocal about it. They naturally assumed it was another one of my gripes. It's not at all a gripe. I was just wondering. The U Turn thing is great though!

Old 10-09-2016, 02:12 PM

422 posts, read 542,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Probably because I strongly dislike DFW and am rather vocal about it. They naturally assumed it was another one of my gripes. It's not at all a gripe. I was just wondering. The U Turn thing is great though!
Either way seems childish to hold grudges against someone on a message board lol

Old 10-09-2016, 08:05 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
I find the extensive use of frontage/service roads in Texas unusual--but very, very useful. Yes, and those unique U-turns as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas