Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:48 AM

439 posts, read 437,028 times

Advertisements

I recently read an article in D-Magazine about how Knox Street has gained notariety as a shopping district for furniture and home furnishings. It mention Weir's Furniture being a long established anchor in the area and it having the highest sales volume for such stores in the nation. Unfortunately, what could be perceived as a shot to the gut, Forty-Five-Ten decided recently to relocate its store from the neighborhood to downtown. With lots of boutiques deciding to locate to Hendetson Avenue, and with ladies fashion being the leading factor in luxury retail, could it steal thunder from Knox Street over time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 08:01 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
No. Knox St is currently in the process of altering the streetscape to address the needs of their targeted customer base.
D Magazine is one of the worst sources of credible information in the area.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
No. Knox St is currently in the process of altering the streetscape to address the needs of their targeted customer base.
D Magazine is one of the worst sources of credible information in the area.
Hold your horses there. Slow down. Take it easy there! Woah! Woah!!
Uh, D-Magazine is the only media in Dallas pushing the real Dallas. After all, Dallas is all about retail. From top to bottom, the many levels of its retail are deep. D-Magazine also has real writers working for them that know how to write. Want to improve your own writing skills? Peer review the poor writing that goes on at The Dallas Morning News.

Again, womens fashion is the leading factor within the market of luxury retail. Knox street is less of this as it is anchored by Weir's Furniture and has become a furniture and home furnishing marketplace. It is actually Henderson Avenue that.has been raved about as having the most ideal location for retail in central Dallas. It stands as a vacuum between the Park Cities and the wealthy neighborhood of Lakewood.

The new fashion boutiques are opening on Henderson Avenue. No one else sees a case of the tail developing to wag the head here? As Knox Street got sucker punched by it losing Forty-Five-Ten, nearby Henderson could more than develop to arrive on the scene saving the day.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
The two streets complement each other, not compete. Henderson is more indie/local and Knox is more corporate. Neither is a "luxury" district despite FFT's McKinney Ave location. And I think patrons of both areas like it that way - on Knox Street, Park Cities moms can pop into PBKids and Lululemon or Planet Bardot and take the kids to Wild About Harry's. On Henderson, SMU girls can buy trendy clothes at Milk & Honey and do some homework at Houndstooth Coffee.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The two streets complement each other, not compete. Henderson is more indie/local and Knox is more corporate. Neither is a "luxury" district despite FFT's McKinney Ave location. And I think patrons of both areas like it that way - on Knox Street, Park Cities moms can pop into PBKids and Lululemon or Planet Bardot and take the kids to Wild About Harry's. On Henderson, SMU girls can buy trendy clothes at Milk & Honey and do some homework at Houndstooth Coffee.
Luxury designation to me is any place a luxury store can open and people won't question its location. Both Knox Street and Henderson are headed upwards in scale towards that direction.

I think this is the direction that Dallas is headed. Allow me to give an example. Let's say Prada decides to return to Dallas. Rather than return to the traditional shopping centers of Highland Park Village or NorthPark Center, they elect to build for themselves a stand alone shop similar to what Forty-Five-Ten chose to do in downtown. Perhaps Prada decides to locate in Lakewood. Lakewood and Prada then become synomonous after thoughts together. It knows that Lakewood Shopping Center is quite a beautiful place along with being both popular and upscale. I think such a store in Lakewood located in such a limited exclusive way could be prosperous.

Another similar area a luxury store might consider opening would be in the middle of all those luxury
car dealerships along Lemmon Avenue. In this case, one has both traveling wealthy people captivated as your audience and intent on buying an expensive car and, as they are traveling, in a tourist situation where they would be more willing to spend money.

I can also envision a well known luxury store making a synomonous name for itself with the Dallas Design District. Dallas has a long list of such prime places.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I think TC80 has the best handle on what Dallas is/is not doing. You're looking at decades deep knowledge, not recent surface skimming.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I think TC80 has the best handle on what Dallas is/is not doing. You're looking at decades deep knowledge, not recent surface skimming.
TC 80? Is that a retail magazine?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:55 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
TC 80? Is that a retail magazine?

TC80 = TurtleCreek80 poster right above you in this thread.

Do you work for Dmag?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:29 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
Luxury designation to me is any place a luxury store can open and people won't question its location. Both Knox Street and Henderson are headed upwards in scale towards that direction.

I think this is the direction that Dallas is headed. Allow me to give an example. Let's say Prada decides to return to Dallas. Rather than return to the traditional shopping centers of Highland Park Village or NorthPark Center, they elect to build for themselves a stand alone shop similar to what Forty-Five-Ten chose to do in downtown. Perhaps Prada decides to locate in Lakewood. Lakewood and Prada then become synomonous after thoughts together. It knows that Lakewood Shopping Center is quite a beautiful place along with being both popular and upscale. I think such a store in Lakewood located in such a limited exclusive way could be prosperous.

Another similar area a luxury store might consider opening would be in the middle of all those luxury
car dealerships along Lemmon Avenue. In this case, one has both traveling wealthy people captivated as your audience and intent on buying an expensive car and, as they are traveling, in a tourist situation where they would be more willing to spend money.

I can also envision a well known luxury store making a synomonous name for itself with the Dallas Design District. Dallas has a long list of such prime places.
I'll take the counterpoint and say that Lakewood center isn't about to become a destination for retail of any significance, outside the niche businesses that they've already got (and the Whole Foods, if you're counting that). And I definitely don't think it's about to be the place a national luxury brand decides to build a stand alone store. I think it will continue to thrive by attracting and retaining a combination of neighborhood staple-type restaurants along with the local chains that are cropping up in many neighborhoods. Lakewood has plenty of money, sure. But Lakewood center is only marginally more convenient than places like Henderson Ave, HPV, or Northpark while it is incredibly inconvenient to the largest concentration of luxury retail customers who are less likely to traipse to Lakewood to shop.

Your comment about locating luxury retail in an auto-oriented corridor also makes me question your knowledge of how retail usually works.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
TC80 = TurtleCreek80 poster right above you in this thread.

Do you work for Dmag?
No, I don't.
It is a whole new world in central Dallas since the completion of the new terminal at Love Field and the opening up of its flight restrictions. No one can be sure of the future. In a single year, the traffic at the airport exploded 50%. It now handles almost a quarter of DFW's traffic.

I find business in general interesting from the point of view of retail as its base. In Dallas, there is large amounts of prime real estate because of its many retail monuments and other legacy shopping centers. I find it incredible how abrupt the scale of central Dallas rises and falls from one area of luxury retail to another. This is not typical. Dallas is not just another part of the same old ball of wax.

The condo project announced today to be constructed along Henderson Avenue isn't going to interfere with the upward movement of the corridor's scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas