U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,863 posts, read 1,366,977 times
Reputation: 1885

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
...uhh Im sorry but this is not a "glamor" project. It is a necessity!!! We only have 1 set of tracks downtown for 4 different lines. I would half way understand your point if you were referring to the fact that it would be a subway instead of an at grade line. But even that wouldn't be accurate because they actually chose a D2 alignment that had only a few feet of an underground portion....BUT.....The route that they chose conflicted with a lot of new things that are being built or will be built that would have to be torn right back down to construct that alignment they chose.. So subway was the only way to keep everyone happy with their investments.....The development Gods knew that Dallasboi wanted this.
(in agreement with you)
It also doesn't really matter, because it isn't the "same Dallas" funding this. It isn't like if these things weren't being constructed, DART would funnel the money into fixing the roads in one member city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2016, 12:27 AM
 
4,430 posts, read 5,655,980 times
Reputation: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
(in agreement with you)
It also doesn't really matter, because it isn't the "same Dallas" funding this. It isn't like if these things weren't being constructed, DART would funnel the money into fixing the roads in one member city.
That is an EXCELLENT point!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 01:00 AM
 
4,430 posts, read 5,655,980 times
Reputation: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
This is cool. A unique aspect about this project is how they won't have to demolish it if it fails. They can just barricade it shut. The city of Dallss is so innovative.
How can a rail line fail?......If you wanted to make sense you would be referring to low ridership numbers.....but even if you were speaking of ridership numbers it would not totally makes sense..... Ridership numbers on any rail line changes frequently. A low performing rail line this year could outperform all other rail lines the following year. So low ridership won't make it a failure because smart cities plan for the future and build extensive rail lines for the city to GROW into....cough..(DART)...ehh hem.....excuse me......... but anyway there is noway this can fail because its being built for RELIEF of the other choked out rail line that currently exists downtown....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,626 posts, read 7,823,924 times
Reputation: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
Addison voted for DART service. It is a DART member city.
And?

It makes no sense to have a nearly 100 mile light rail system converging onto one track in downtown Dallas. If there's an accident on one of the tracks, the whole system is delayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,626 posts, read 7,823,924 times
Reputation: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Wake me up when Dallas can afford to pave its streets and pay its cops' pension fund. Shiny glamor projects are *still* no substitute for competent government.
There's an actual need for this project. Public transportation investment benefits everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 12:23 PM
 
439 posts, read 298,860 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
And?

It makes no sense to have a nearly 100 mile light rail system converging onto one track in downtown Dallas. If there's an accident on one of the tracks, the whole system is delayed.
All these DART cities are like kids lined up to get a cookie. All these cities but Addison got their cookies. Shoot, Irving got two cookies. Why shouldn't Addison get theirs?

DART isn't about to pay for the court costs of the city of Addison to file suit. That is why they have to do both projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 03:15 PM
 
18,801 posts, read 4,670,847 times
Reputation: 6339
congrats Dallas on getting the second subway line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 09:08 PM
 
Location: The Mid-Cities
1,083 posts, read 1,485,685 times
Reputation: 691
This is great because we now know that downtown will get a subway and that the land can be built upon for whatever to increase density. Not to mention that it will run faster so that DART riders will get everywhere much faster which could in turn increase ridership. Even if it doesn't get fed funding, at least it will be next in line so that it will eventually happen and not a low-cost short-term ground level line.

Further down the road we can use this new subway while they upgrade the current ground level to subway as well so that service goes uninterupted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 10:13 PM
 
4,430 posts, read 5,655,980 times
Reputation: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
This is great because we now know that downtown will get a subway and that the land can be built upon for whatever to increase density. Not to mention that it will run faster so that DART riders will get everywhere much faster which could in turn increase ridership. Even if it doesn't get fed funding, at least it will be next in line so that it will eventually happen and not a low-cost short-term ground level line.

Further down the road we can use this new subway while they upgrade the current ground level to subway as well so that service goes uninterupted.
It would really be awesome if they actually DID turn the existing downtown line to subway.
Who knows....with Dallas putting all of this important infrastructure in place in the core....it might already be in the plans some wsome in the distant future.

If Dallas wants it ......it will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2016, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Austin/Houston
2,837 posts, read 4,507,952 times
Reputation: 2102
Congratulations Dallas on it's plans toward a second subway line.

No shade, but I'm still not seeing how this article makes it official though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top