Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:02 AM

283 posts, read 405,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichig562 View Post
We'll consider plano too. Any input on school vibes? Pro's/Con's are welcomed. Thanks
Sent you a DM. I just put a house (Plano ISD) for rental on market.
Plano High School is the top notch in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 08:22 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,180,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post

You'll have to see which community 'feels' right for you and your family. Prosper is a little depressing and challenging to get to. The schools are very athletics-focused - look at all the complaints on the various school review website about the mandatory pep rallies etc
I'm confused by your post. How is Prosper depressing or challenging to get to? The OP could take Preston from Prosper right into Plano. It should be a quick trip from Prosper up until about Main St in Frisco, and that's when it will bog down. But it's still a fairly straight shot. Or you could take the DNT service road if you don't want to pay tolls.

Like I said above, I went to Prosper from K-12. I know the school has changed a lot since then, but don't all schools have some sense of being athletically-focused? This is Texas, so of course football is king and will be deemed "more important" than chess club or something similar. I guess I didn't really realize other schools don't have mandatory pep rallies? We always had them during football season on Fridays, so it was normal to me. If I remember correctly they lasted 30 minutes. I was in band, so it wasn't a big deal to me. Any of the kids that weren't that interested just sat next to their friends and talked. I mean, we all preferred going to pep rallies over being in class.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:53 AM

12 posts, read 11,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I'm confused by your post. How is Prosper depressing or challenging to get to? The OP could take Preston from Prosper right into Plano. It should be a quick trip from Prosper up until about Main St in Frisco, and that's when it will bog down. But it's still a fairly straight shot. Or you could take the DNT service road if you don't want to pay tolls.

Like I said above, I went to Prosper from K-12. I know the school has changed a lot since then, but don't all schools have some sense of being athletically-focused? This is Texas, so of course football is king and will be deemed "more important" than chess club or something similar. I guess I didn't really realize other schools don't have mandatory pep rallies? We always had them during football season on Fridays, so it was normal to me. If I remember correctly they lasted 30 minutes. I was in band, so it wasn't a big deal to me. Any of the kids that weren't that interested just sat next to their friends and talked. I mean, we all preferred going to pep rallies over being in class.
Agreed. Born and raised in Texas and never heard of "optional" pep rallies!

They were Friday afternoons, lasted about 30 minutes and classes were shorter that day to accommodate. What's not to like?!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:35 AM

117 posts, read 151,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Unfortunately, private schools do not accept new students for senior year. Maybe if OP is the Toyota CEO, but not for anyone else!

But I think your train of thought here was good- a smaller environment will help the student build those key teacher & staff relationships to ensure college applications are successful. To that point, Lovejoy or possibly Prosper (not sure how large their graduating classes are these days) would be a good size and also academically respectable. I would absolutely avoid Plano ISD or Allen ISD due to graduating class sizes of over 1,000. Frisco would be a middle ground choice with generally smaller schools.
As of about two weeks ago Prosper is at 2515 and Lovejoy is at 1430. Not sure what Prosper is built to hold being designed for 5A, but 2515 and growing is getting a little crowded. Although, Prosper looks to be built more like Boyd (wide hallways and huge common areas), where Lovejoy and the Frisco Schools are your more standard high school feel.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 870 times
We just relocated for husband's work as well from the southeast. We chose Frisco ISD... our son is a junior at Lone Star High School. It is a great school with a fantastic culture. (Smaller than the school he was coming from. I believe it is under 2000.) Teachers are supportive and engaging. After a few rough weeks of adjustment - he is thriving and really enjoying his experience. Our daughter is an 8th grader at Trent and she is having an equally good experience. We are also renting - but made our choice completely school driven. We also considered Prosper - but were concerned about the growth and how the schools were managing with those projections. FISD had a better plan in place in our estimation. We like the West Frisco area - it is still a huge adjustment from our Carolina pace. Don't know much about McKinney. Good Luck!

Old 11-11-2016, 07:15 AM

117 posts, read 151,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys1g View Post
We just relocated for husband's work as well from the southeast. We chose Frisco ISD... our son is a junior at Lone Star High School. It is a great school with a fantastic culture. (Smaller than the school he was coming from. I believe it is under 2000.) Teachers are supportive and engaging. After a few rough weeks of adjustment - he is thriving and really enjoying his experience. Our daughter is an 8th grader at Trent and she is having an equally good experience. We are also renting - but made our choice completely school driven. We also considered Prosper - but were concerned about the growth and how the schools were managing with those projections. FISD had a better plan in place in our estimation. We like the West Frisco area - it is still a huge adjustment from our Carolina pace. Don't know much about McKinney. Good Luck!
Frisco ISD did not pass their TRE (Tax Ratification Election) so new schools are delaying their opening and class sizes are growing rapidly. I wouldn't necessarily say FISD had a better plan for growth, especially now since they don't have the ASTAR money.

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-f...state-funding/

Frisco normally would be a good choice with your criteria, however with the tax situation with the board and admin experimenting with cost reductions I would advise taking a pass on Frisco, especially considering your child will only be there this year. I agree that Plano West, Prosper and Lovejoy would all make great options.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:17 AM

8,156 posts, read 8,380,140 times
This is worth a look. Had a friend with a similar circumstance and they had a great experience here. Very inclusive student social environment. They may consider a senior. Liberty Christian School, a college preparatory school in Argyle, TX | Liberty Christian School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas