U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 02:40 PM

1,541 posts, read 3,450,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post
Thanks for your continued help, Christie!

Watermark is on LBJ Freeway.

I even thought about south (like Lancaster or Duncanville), but not sure what the traffic is like... it seems like it would only be about 30 min. away. Of course weeknights may be treacherous (if I ever want to attend an evening event).
If you don't mind the commute, the suburbs of southwest Dallas County (Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, and Lancaster) are worth considering. While the area is one of the more affordable parts of DFW, it hasn't been immune from the housing issues found throughout the metro area - rising prices, extremely low inventory, and homes in good condition being sold much quicker than they were two or three years ago. There are safe, well-maintained neighborhoods in the southern suburbs despite the limited attention they receive in this forum. Your budget is too low for new construction, but there are existing homes that would likely meet most of your criteria.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:06 PM

12,141 posts, read 22,905,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
You may want to visit the church for a while before basing your anchor around it....
I'd suggest a cautionary approach and agree with Threestep above that you may want to rent in the area first.
Good advice on both fronts. Watermark is not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 03:13 PM

88 posts, read 91,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
If you don't mind the commute, the suburbs of southwest Dallas County (Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, and Lancaster) are worth considering. While the area is one of the more affordable parts of DFW, it hasn't been immune from the housing issues found throughout the metro area - rising prices, extremely low inventory, and homes in good condition being sold much quicker than they were two or three years ago. There are safe, well-maintained neighborhoods in the southern suburbs despite the limited attention they receive in this forum. Your budget is too low for new construction, but there are existing homes that would likely meet most of your criteria.

Wow! Thank you for this information, Acntx. I was actually thinking about those areas you mentioned. I just wasn't sure how nice they were in terms of upkeep, etc.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Good advice on both fronts. Watermark is not for everyone.
Thank you, TurtleCreek80, for your input.

I have visited Watermark last summer, and I have become friends with a few of its members via an online Bible study.

I would wager it's safe to say "not for everyone" for any church, really. Although that is probably fodder for a different type of forum.

Again, I do appreciate your comments!

Old 10-27-2016, 04:14 PM

6,082 posts, read 4,840,716 times
Closer to your church and worth checking out:

Garland, Richardson near Richland College (some crime there) Lewisville, Irving, Euless

There are some neighborhoods in Irving that could work fine for you in zip code 75060 if you look on the west side of MacArthur. This is still pretty far so Garland is worth checking out as another poster suggested.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Closer to your church and worth checking out:

Garland, Richardson near Richland College (some crime there) Lewisville, Irving, Euless

There are some neighborhoods in Irving that could work fine for you in zip code 75060 if you look on the west side of MacArthur. This is still pretty far so Garland is worth checking out as another poster suggested.
Thanks again, WorldKlas, for helping out! I tell you, the zip code information is tremendously helpful!

Old 10-27-2016, 06:14 PM

12,141 posts, read 22,905,343 times
Quote:
Thank you, TurtleCreek80, for your input.

I have visited Watermark last summer, and I have become friends with a few of its members via an online Bible study.

I would wager it's safe to say "not for everyone" for any church, really. Although that is probably fodder for a different type of forum.

Again, I do appreciate your comments!
I'm glad to hear you visited and are involved there already. Sometimes people are so wanting to make a connection in their new city that they get their heart set on a specific church (or neighborhood or school or job or whatever) that the reality doesn't meet the hearsay/research that led them to anchor their new life there. Ie, someone could have heard that Watermark has "the best" children's program and just assume that since that's what they're interested in, that the church must be perfect for them when in reality there are 10 other churches with great children's programs that are worth visiting and might be a better overall fit (theologically, organizationally, socially, etc). That's all.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:12 PM

422 posts, read 364,599 times
Quote:
Steve, I see you're in the Arlington area... if I may ask, what are your views on it? Have you lived there long?

I'm looking to move to TX from CA and would like to be close to Dallas (for a church I plan on attending). I'm hoping it doesn't take TOO long to get to Dallas from Arlington (but maybe moreso from SW Arlington?)

Thank you!
I live in SW Arlington and work in SW Dallas. It takes me about 25 mins to get to work at 6am. This part of Arlington is a nice middle class area, lots of families. Convienent to either Fort Worth or Dallas, but still plenty of options within Arlington.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I'm glad to hear you visited and are involved there already. Sometimes people are so wanting to make a connection in their new city that they get their heart set on a specific church (or neighborhood or school or job or whatever) that the reality doesn't meet the hearsay/research that led them to anchor their new life there. Ie, someone could have heard that Watermark has "the best" children's program and just assume that since that's what they're interested in, that the church must be perfect for them when in reality there are 10 other churches with great children's programs that are worth visiting and might be a better overall fit (theologically, organizationally, socially, etc). That's all.
Oh, I completely agree! I'm sure there are also nice churches in Arlington as well as other towns.

I just am learning that on my budget (I'll be able to put down about $140K), living North of Dallas won't be feasible...

I can always consider a small mortgage/loan, but at my age (50), I don't want a 30-year loan... and besides that, I'm not sure I'll be teaching (need to get certified in that state, etc.)

Old 10-27-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
I live in SW Arlington and work in SW Dallas. It takes me about 25 mins to get to work at 6am. This part of Arlington is a nice middle class area, lots of families. Convienent to either Fort Worth or Dallas, but still plenty of options within Arlington.
Overall, it sounds like you're happy there. If I'm not being too nosey, do you mind telling me the zip code where you live? No need for streets, etc... just so I can get a rough idea.

The help of the "box" that LePoisson shared is useful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or