Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
This thread is a horrible misrepresentation of what section 8 is
No it's about right.
A good friend of ours here in town owns hundreds of homes and I have no idea how many apartments units. He deals with section 8 voucher holders all the time. He says the rub is 30% of section 8 users are great people who really do try hard to succeed and take care of their residence. 30% are between OK and not so great. And 40% are, his term "total loses", people who don't know how to or simply won't take care of anything or are overtly destructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
As a Landlord, I joined a social media group of mostly members seeking section 8/voucher housing. The folks who post often describe their situations and request help seeking housing with their vouchers in the DFW area. Reading their perceptions regarding availability makes me sad for them from a human viewpoint.

But from a Landlord's perspective, I cannot find my way toward leasing to this group as a collective general statement. Some posts I have read tell stories of continual evictions, felonies, property damage and hiding from the LL several family members or friends down on their luck by allowing them to reside in the property.

I fear disregard for the properties they lease, because vouchered tenants can delay their portion of the rent by reporting "repairs needed" to the housing authorities. It seems if the tenant disputes the payment of rent because of a property condition issue that the landlord's rent is suspended until the repair is made. That can be an incentive for tenants to create property damage and/or stall repairs or even create issues.

The system is broken and small private Landlords cannot afford to participate. I will sell my properties before I rent in that program as it exists today.
In a post above I mentioned a friend who has dealt with Section 8 for a long time and in volume. He'd agree with everything you wrote. It works for him only because he can bankroll a good number of short term-non rev. units. As a matter of fact he plans around it.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:13 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The system is broken and small private Landlords cannot afford to participate. I will sell my properties before I rent in that program as it exists today.
I'm a new landlord so I can't speak to much from experience but I agree with the selling the property bit. If I'm not allowed to say who has access to my asset then I'll sell it, take the equity profit I've painfully accumulated via remodeling and paying down the mortgage and avoid the headache.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:07 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Based on what I've read here, it sounds like I've made the wise decision to avoid any apartment complex that takes in section 8 residents.

It's hard enough to find decent tenants in some areas. I'd imagine that section 8 would be a completely different nightmare all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas