U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:40 AM

10,033 posts, read 21,123,916 times

Advertisements

Marshall Ridge has major access problems. The growth out there has made the intersection of 377 and 114 a bad bottleneck at peak traffic hours. Add to that the increased traffic when there is a race at the Speedway, and it's just a mess. I would not want to have to drive through that every day both to and from work, and every time I leave my house!

Yes, Keller homes are larger and you get more sq ft for the money, but that's also because of location, location, location. Keller is popular with young families for that reason, but you do get what you pay for. Your housing price is also barely at entry level in Southlake.

If your daughter doesn't like competition, then Carroll ISD may not be the best place for her. It is well known to be very competitive. Coppell is just as bad with its high percentage of Asian students that dominate the top of their class.

Seriously take a look at Colleyville. It sounds more and more like the right place for you.

Houses in DFW generally come on the market after spring break, and the market really slows down once school is in session. People here tend to move in the summer! You might consider renting so you can buy next year when the market gets busier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 AM

34,167 posts, read 38,130,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Houses in DFW generally come on the market after spring break, and the market really slows down once school is in session. People here tend to move in the summer! You might consider renting so you can buy next year when the market gets busier.
Actually if you can find a home in the fall or winter, buy then. More houses come on the market in the spring but the number of Buyers also goes up 2 or 3 times. More competition for those houses, more multiple offer situations.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:38 PM

2,881 posts, read 3,879,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossechick98 View Post
Thank you all, you've made me feel better about our decision.

The sad thing is my husband is getting a 70% raise in his new job. We'll be able to afford something around 800K but we're having trouble selling our current home.

It's only been on the market 1 month, which where we live now is considered "just on the market".

Houses here don't sell as quickly, as they do in DFW.

We're likely going to have to sell our home at a drastically low price, which will lower the cash we have on hand to put down in our new home, and thus lower what we can afford.
Is there a reason you can't rent down here until your house sells, and then buy? We wound up going that route on our relo. I'd recommend it for two reasons: A) you get to look around at areas and become familiar with them, and 2) you wouldn't have to do a "fire sale" of your existing property.

I realize that it's not perfect to rent somewhere first, then buy and (very likely) have to switch schools and such with your children, but you seem to be implying a much lower sale price for your existing house, and you should also be much more comfortable with wherever you wind up buying.

just some food for thought.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:07 AM

12 posts, read 15,224 times
I'll weigh in on the competition angle for Carroll ISD. I have two kids there, both in the GT program. In elementary the GT program is limited and they are pulled out of class once a week. BUT once your student gets to 5th/6th grade, they differentiate between GT and on-level in the 4 core classes. In other words, their Language Arts, Science, etc. is only with other GT students. For my kids, that has been a great opportunity for them. They do more in-depth learning, the curriculum moves at a faster pace and more projects. I do not find it to be competitive, at least not yet (I have a 6th and an 8th grader). I think CISD has a reputation for competitiveness that stems from sports, etc., but academically in the classroom we have not experienced anything like that. True, there are some parents who are going to fill their Facebook feeds with "Little Johnny got outstanding student AGAIN this month #proud" but those parents are in every school district. Things may be different at the high school level in terms of competing for class placement but again, you are going to find that at every other district as well.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 PM

9 posts, read 7,774 times
WOW!!! We're probably bidding on some of the same houses...

We're put in an offer on one in Marshall Ridge today, if they don't accept we're likely going to Hidden Lakes.

It's hard for us too, we can't choose between these two neighborhoods.

I would also love some advice on choosing between the two.... (working in Irving area)

We're worried about schools, community, resale, foundation issues, and socio-economics.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:27 PM

12 posts, read 12,736 times
That's so funny! We may be bidding against each other.

We have narrowed down to our final 3 choices.

One off Pool Rd in Grapevine, One right by the elementary school in Marshall Ridge, and one in Hidden Lakes, not far from Bear Creek.

My husband is pushing for the Grapevine house because it's only a 10 minute drive from the office vs the 25 of the Keller homes.

I'm worried about it though because Crosstimbers Middle has scored poorer on its test scores, and the house doesn't have a pool and there isn't a neighborhood pool.

So I'm leaning toward Marshall Ridge which is the hubby's furthest drive

Old 11-19-2016, 09:59 PM

10,033 posts, read 21,123,916 times
Remember that CTMS (and all of the GCISD schools) have a larger % of low income and ESL students than other nearby districts, so looking only at test scores as a whole isn't a good comparison.

You can always put in a pool.

But your husband's commute time won't change, and the longer he sits in traffic means less time he has with family.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:04 PM

907 posts, read 989,693 times
CTMS is a great school! The new principal was AP under a very effective and popular principal for several years. Keller ISD is good, but the Colleyville resident/Keller ISD transfers I know all say there is no comparison. I can relate as we thought Aledo ISD was great until we moved to GCISD.

Is there room for a pool?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:23 PM

1,086 posts, read 718,821 times
You'll probably like any of those areas.
Plenty of airline people in Keller area.
Less in Southlake due to home prices, but find the occasional pilot who bought years ago.
Crime is likely low in most of those areas. Anything really bad is typically between family members, friends, etc.
Murder in southlake town square was cartel lawyer who got knocked off by cartel...no some random no name murder.
Don't leave your garage door open or bike on the front lawn. Weed eaters, mowers, unlocked bikes get swiped everywhere.

You're probably right...about locations...Coppell and Colleyville are perhaps options, but you'll find more for sale in Keller in your price range. You might also consider Trophy Club and Roanoke....however Roanoke is even further in most cases, but you might find newer for nice price.

I did see a nice foreclosure for sale in Colleyville this week about 4900sqft.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:35 AM

9 posts, read 7,774 times
We had our offer accepted in Marshall Ridge, so that's the plan for us right now.

We've never lived in a new construction house or neighborhood, but we're ready to just dive in.

Our kids aren't in Middle School yet. we liked Colleyville & Grapevine a lot, in terms of neighborhoods but found very few houses for sale in our price range and the ones that were, needed a lot of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas