U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:08 PM

526 posts, read 850,631 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why not a single dry cleaner is open on Sunday? Is there are law that prohibits them from operating on Sunday? I can understand that a lot might close but every one? You would think one of them could see the market opportunity being the only place open where people could get there cleaning done before Monday. They could charge huge premiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 08:48 PM

94 posts, read 88,550 times
It probably would not be worth the overhead.

These are usually mom and pop. They could use a day off. 99% of their customers could probably make due with 6 days a week

Someone actually needing a piece cleaned on a sunday is probably rare. I dont see there being much benefit for a cleaner being openbon sunday

Of course there are times i wish ibcould get something cleaned on sunday, but it hasnt made a big deal overall

Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 AM

10,252 posts, read 2,964,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC2005 View Post
It probably would not be worth the overhead.

These are usually mom and pop. They could use a day off. 99% of their customers could probably make due with 6 days a week
That doesn't make any sense. Their day off could be Saturday.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Their day off could be Saturday.
It could be any day of the week. But IMO, they would get much more bang for their buck from being open Monday through Saturday as opposed to being open Sunday through Friday.

Most cleaners I know are also only open half a day on Saturday. Seems to make sense to me. Monday through Friday is the busy time, have a half day on Saturday for any stragglers from the week. Close up shop Sunday, go to church if applicable. Not sure whats hard to understand.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:06 AM

It's not hard to understand why some, many even most, would be closed Sunday. But every single one being closed? Let's assume Sunday has the least demand for dry cleaning but there is some. If you are the only cleaners in a city of 1.2million there has got to be some opportunity there. Can you name one other retail industry that every single business is closed on one day where it is not required by law? (ie car dealerships and liquor stores)

Old 10-31-2016, 10:12 AM

24,443 posts, read 33,852,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
It's not hard to understand why some, many even most, would be closed Sunday. But every single one being closed? Let's assume Sunday has the least demand for dry cleaning but there is some. If you are the only cleaners in a city of 1.2million there has got to be some opportunity there. Can you name one other retail industry that every single business is closed on one day where it is not required by law? (ie car dealerships and liquor stores)
Car dealerships aren't actually required to close on Sundays. AFAIK the law states that they must be closed EITHER Saturday or Sunday. For obvious reasons, they're open on Saturday and closed on Sunday.

There are probably dry cleaners open on Sunday, just Google around and you'll probably find one. We go to the dry cleaner every week and it's never been a big issue that they're not open on Sunday. You just work it into your schedule. The guy who runs our local cleaners is super nice, does all the work on-site, works very hard, and deserves a day off! (Most days the shop is open for 11 hours and has extended Saturday hours.)

Old 10-31-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Car dealerships aren't actually required to close on Sundays.
Never said they were required to be closed on Sunday. I said closed one day out of the week.

"Can you name one other retail industry that every single business is closed on one day where it is not required by law?"

Quote:
There are probably dry cleaners open on Sunday, just Google around and you'll probably find one.
I did. Someone told me they were all closed on Sunday and I couldn't believe that every single one was so I did Google it. I thought maybe it was Blue Law related but it appears not.

Quote:
We go to the dry cleaner every week and it's never been a big issue that they're not open on Sunday. You just work it into your schedule. The guy who runs our local cleaners is super nice, does all the work on-site, works very hard, and deserves a day off! (Most days the shop is open for 11 hours and has extended Saturday hours.)
I don't care if they are closed or not. This is not a rant because I need to find a cleaners open on Sunday. I rarely use the dry cleaner actually. I'm just fascinated with this phenomenon that they are ALL closed on Sunday just because they all happen to want to.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:34 PM

Its not worth paying staff on sunday for a few rare instances where people NEED drycleaning on a sunday. You need at least one at the register, and one or two people in the back doing cleaning and pressing.

Out of all days of the week, sunday would probably have the least amount of activity, and its a common day for other businesses to be closed such as car dealerships, liquor stores, banks, chik fil a, etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC2005 View Post
its a common day for other businesses to be closed such as car dealerships, liquor stores, banks, chik fil a, etc.
It's not common at all for entire retail industries to be closed any day when not required to. Car dealerships and liquor stores have laws requiring them to be closed. Some banks are open on Sunday. Chick fil a is one brand, most fast food restaurants open on Sunday. It's OK just to say you don't know.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:00 AM

9,364 posts, read 11,232,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
It's not common at all for entire retail industries to be closed any day when not required to. Car dealerships and liquor stores have laws requiring them to be closed. Some banks are open on Sunday. Chick fil a is one brand, most fast food restaurants open on Sunday. It's OK just to say you don't know.
So far all I can tell is they just have no desire to be opened on Sundays. It's not a blue law, it's not a conspiracy, it's just business and probably not profitable. If it were profitable then someone would be open during those hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas