Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,407 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted at job that is technically in The Colony but for example, my working location is about 3 miles from the Shops at Legacy in Plano for reference. I am a young twenty something female who's lease is up and looking to move somewhere new but need some recommendations! I definitely want to live in an area with other young professionals, restaurants, things to do, etc. I want to keep my rent relatively low if possible, like under $900 (the lower the better). What are thoughts on living in Plano area versus Dallas. I'm nervous about the commute from Dallas to Colony/Plano area as well so any advice would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 09:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Honestly, I would start in Plano and then move to Dallas later if you're not happy there. Plano has grown SO much in the last few years (and traffic in/out of Plano has gotten so much worse!) that most of the young hires in my Plano-based company choose to live in Plano now. This is a BIG change from just a few years ago when most were commuting from Uptown. Some still choose to commute, but I'd say the majority of those who choose Plano are very happy there- lots of other young professionals and lots to do. Your $900 budget is too low for Dalls without a roomate and commuting can tack on another $150+/mo in extra gas & tolls.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:20 PM

101 posts, read 170,766 times
I'd recommend the Shops of Legacy area - a lot of apartments in that area that cater to young professionals. However, I don't know if it will fit your budget.

Another area I drive through occasionally is the Austin ranch area - on Windhaven between Midway and Plano parkway. A nice mix of new apartments (I think they are called Flatiron - probably a little more budget friendly than the Shops of Legacy) with a few shops/restaurants mixed in (like a very water-downed Shops of Legacy). This area is much closer to the Colony and you won't be fighting all of the traffic around Shops of Legacy / Legacy West (I love the Legacy area, but it's going to be traffic central with all the new jobs in the area). One other good point about the Austin Ranch area is that it backs up to the Arbor Hill Park - very expansive park with a lot of trails for running, biking, mountain biking.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:39 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Shops At Legacy is ideal for young workers of Collin County. You'll have more things to do on foot, they have tons of restaurants, shops and even a theater. You'll get to make connections with management level folks as well. Austin Ranch is your other option. I don't see a reason to fight traffic to get to and from Dallas every day.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:35 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Honestly, I would start in Plano and then move to Dallas later if you're not happy there. Plano has grown SO much in the last few years (and traffic in/out of Plano has gotten so much worse!) that most of the young hires in my Plano-based company choose to live in Plano now. This is a BIG change from just a few years ago when most were commuting from Uptown. Some still choose to commute, but I'd say the majority of those who choose Plano are very happy there- lots of other young professionals and lots to do. Your $900 budget is too low for Dalls without a roomate and commuting can tack on another $150+/mo in extra gas & tolls.

See I would say the opposite. Move to Dallas (uptown, Greenville, Henderson, etc) and commute. If the drive is too much then move out there. (or get a job in Dallas) You're young you want to be in the middle of the action. There is always time to move to the burbs.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:45 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
See I would say the opposite. Move to Dallas (uptown, Greenville, Henderson, etc) and commute. If the drive is too much then move out there. (or get a job in Dallas) You're young you want to be in the middle of the action. There is always time to move to the burbs.
I agree. I can't imagine a worse place to live as a 20-something than Plano. But if all the OP wants is a short commute and nothing else, then Plano is good for that. Just not the place for a 20-something to enjoy nightlife or meeting other single young people. yikes.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:52 PM

158 posts, read 180,996 times
The OP mentioned her work location is in The Colony, so commuting from Dallas would be a reverse commute. In 2015, I used to live in Addison and commute to Plano and it was reasonable (10-15 mins).

Old 11-02-2016, 04:03 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
The OP mentioned her work location is in The Colony, so commuting from Dallas would be a reverse commute. In 2015, I used to live in Addison and commute to Plano and it was reasonable (10-15 mins).
Is Dallas to Plano a reverse commute anymore? I seem to be meeting an increasing number of people who live in neighborhoods like Greenway Parks, Bluffview, and Devonshire who commute up to their high paying jobs in Plano and Frisco but don't care to live up there. I also feel like lots of Preston Hollow folks work up that way as well but choose to live close to private schools. At this point, I basically assume that the tollway is packed in both directions once you hit Galleria, but I could be mistaken in this.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 PM

92 posts, read 112,939 times
Commuting from Dallas/Addison to Plano/Colony (on the DNT) in the morning is a breeze, however it's a different story commuting back south in the afternoon. There's just not much of the "reverse traffic" effect traveling south south at the end of the work day, unless your schedule allows you the leave before 4:30pm.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I used to give out the same advice but it really isn't valid anymore. My company hires about 40 recent college grads easy year. 75%+ now choose to live in Plano and like it there. The ones who live in Uptown or other intown neighborhoods tend to quit or move closer to work within 2 years. Like I said, this is a huge behavior shift from 5-10 years ago, but the reality is that traffic is a lot worse than it used to be and that there is a lot more going on in Plano. They go into uptown on some weekends but never during the work week. There is a big difference in action between Plano and a true sleepy suburb like Prosper or Little Elm.

And for the love, don't recommend Lower Greenville or Henderson to someone working off the DNT in Plano! That's at least 60 minutes both directions. We've had 2 people quit in the last 6 months because that commute slowly killed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
It regularly takes 45+ AM/ 60+ PM to commute to/from uptown up to Legacy exit if you work an 8-5 schedule. Even leaving at 6:30 tonight, it took me 35 minutes to get to Royal exit. The worst parts of the commute from uptown are before Northwest Hwy or Royal in the AM, from Bush to Parker-ish AM and PM, and by the Galleria PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Is Dallas to Plano a reverse commute anymore? I seem to be meeting an increasing number of people who live in neighborhoods like Greenway Parks, Bluffview, and Devonshire who commute up to their high paying jobs in Plano and Frisco but don't care to live up there. I also feel like lots of Preston Hollow folks work up that way as well but choose to live close to private schools. At this point, I basically assume that the tollway is packed in both directions once you hit Galleria, but I could be mistaken in this.
There is still less volume going reverse than into town, but the volume is increasing steadily every year. My average commute (Royal to Legaxy) gets about 5 minutes longer every year. The biggest change is that there never used to be traffic in the AM- 70mph all the way. Now, it backs up to anywhere between Royal/past 635 most mornings and from Bush to Parker-ish every morning. The evening commute is worse, too. Some of it is construction related, but that doesn't take into account that 20,000 more cars are going to be exiting at Legacy starting in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2URGSE View Post
Commuting from Dallas/Addison to Plano/Colony (on the DNT) in the morning is a breeze, however it's a different story commuting back south in the afternoon. There's just not much of the "reverse traffic" effect traveling south south at the end of the work day, unless your schedule allows you the leave before 4:30pm.
It's a "breeze"? What time are you on the DNT in the mornings? It used to be a breeze, but not anymore.

Agree with you about PM though. Even 4:30 is too late for a jump start on traffic some days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: