U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:19 PM

94 posts, read 88,430 times

Advertisements

Your comments about Plano are unsubstantiated and way out of line. I simply pointed out what the consensus is for Plano, and you will be hard pressed to find anyone that agrees with your opinion.

West Plano is simply one of the best bets now. Housing prices continue to rise and should only continue as jobs migrate to Plano.

It is one of the safest areas, has the best schools, has great city management, has been great for a very long time, and only shows signs of getting even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Most of the areas have gotten up already. Places like the Park Cities, Lakewood, Coppell and Plano all have done great over the past couple of decades and continue to do so. But, some areas I suggest that should be thought about as even becoming even more popular are Hebron (Carrollton but Hebron HS), Las Colinas, Flower Mound, Argyle and Little Elm. Also the Firewheel area of Garland.

That said, I wouldn't buy a house in any of those places. I like living close in. So I would buy a house in Uptown, The Park Cities, Preston Hollow, Lake Highlands or Canyon Creek in Richardson.
Im not sold on Las Colinas or Hebron. Neither seem to have much to offer. Las Colinas seems very "conventiony" and isnt too exciting. Not much of a draw, but actually a very convenient location.

Hebron has decent schools, and may benefit from influx of people from Plano jobs. But feels very suburban and again, not much of its own draw.

Just my 2 cents, but to be honest, I am not familiar with Hebron, so I could be way off base. I have spent a lot of time in Las Colinas, though. The retail and restaurants there are still very lacking IMO.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:38 PM

2,306 posts, read 3,050,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveu4me View Post
Trulia.com crime map. I watched these maps change colors over the last 4 yrs and Planos crime has increased. I do not want to debate on whether Plano is safe or not, yes its the place people are flocking too, yes, there are great schools, yes, yes, yes it's just not an option for me. Do you know of any other up and coming areas that's all I'm asking?
Looking at that "map" is not very helpful. It shows colors for crime, but doesn't give you any real statistics. The list of "nearby crime" doesn't give you any addresses or real info either.

I trust Forbes listing Plano as safest city in the country over Trulia and their crime map. Have you really been keeping copies of their map archived for four years?

Old 11-02-2016, 10:27 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,455,631 times
I don't want to get into useless crusade of convincing OP but central Plano is going to appreciate best, as it's not inflated yet but bound to attract more with West Plano's success and DFW's projected traffic congestion.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:46 PM

97 posts, read 75,639 times
Propser, TX. is 34.9 miles up the Dallas North Tollway and only projected to an approximate build out population of 70K to 80K, it's adjacent to north Frisco, (Prosper is half the size in land mass) situated in both Collin county and Denton county (lower taxes). Flower Mound's city manager was just hired as Prosper's new city manager. We toured some of Flower Mound's newest commercial, retail and residential subdivisions last month and the quality of construction, curb appeal and their attention to detail was superbly executed with flair and style. The viability and liviabilty reminded us of the numerous projects Frisco's City Manager George Purefoy has spearheaded, making Frisco one of the top tier cities in the country. 10 years ago Frisco was not even on anyone's radar! :-)

If 10 years is your time horizon look closely at Prosper, TX. for future equity appreciation, of course only time will tell but the intent is to make the city similar in scope and quality to South Lake and Highland Park. The new Prosper city manager, P & Z, and the Prosper, TX. city council, will hopefully follow a thoughtful growth pattern like Frisco, TX (proven without a doubt to be the smartest guys in the room in North Texas).

Amid Big Development, Prosper Lives Up To Its Name | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Have a great day and good luck! Welcome to North Texas!

Ray

Old 11-02-2016, 10:59 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,479 times
I've been back in the Dallas area for about 3 1/2 years now. I think home prices started increasing quite steadily maybe 4 or 5 years ago. There has been so much appreciation in the past few years. How much more can the market bear??

We bought a home in California in 2002 during the bubble, when you had to make an offer on a house the minute you saw it.
We sold it just as the bubble burst in late 2004-2005.
The Dallas area is starting to feel like California in 2004.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:56 PM

12,122 posts, read 22,849,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
The Dallas area is starting to feel like California in 2004.
There is one HUGE difference between DFW today and California in 2004 -> the run-up in prices was fueled by shady loan products (sub-prime, no-doc, alt-A) which meant a ton of people bought homes that really couldn't afford them. Additionally, HELOCs were plentiful and owners could cash out almost the entire value of their home with one. California in 2004 was a house of cards.

Texas had far fewer subprime mortgages than Cali in the mid-2000's and as a result, fewer foreclosures and fewer underwater mortgages. Texas has very strict lending laws as a result of the 1980's meltdown. Lending has gotten even tighter post-recession. Additionally, HELOCs have not been in TX for much more than a decade and the max you can borrow is a lot less than Cali's max in 2004. This isn't to say prices will only go up, up, and away in DFW because of course there will be a bump in the road eventually (escalating mortgage rate, major national recession, horrific natural disaster, etc), but generally we're in good shape and nothing at all like California in 2004.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:59 PM

Agreed, this is nothing like the recent bubble.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:16 AM

97 posts, read 75,639 times
No way! Prices being paid today are still a bargain in North Texas with brand new everything, homes, subdivisions, infrastructure, amenities, new schools, new shopping centers, parks, highways, corporate headquarters, a sports mecca, (2) great airports ....... I've checked the prices that Cali residents have been paying year after year for basically what in DFW would barely qualify as old small tract housing here, totally crazeeee! The real growth will not begin until 2017 when the major corporate relocations are set to start.

Finally, we here in North Texas are gonna make some real money $$$$ on our resales and be able to become more upwardly mobile with the cash for once in our pockets! :-) Read the reasons Toyota North American Motors CEO Jim Lentz gave for leaving Torrance, CA., one major factor was the relocation would give their lower wage employees the opportunity to purchase a home which, they could never have afforded in CA. 20,000+ new homes is being projected as what NTX needs to have built ASAP! This area is already rivaling and passing major cities all over the country in job creation, commercial development and residential construction sales.

Welcome to Texas and what took y'all so long to get here! lol

Ray

Old 11-03-2016, 06:32 AM

I think the people moving from LA will be pleasantly surprised. Still plenty of affordable housing especially compared to LA. For us natives, pricing has gone up and seems very expensive, but when you take a step back, dallas housing prices are still way below sprawls such as LA.

The one negative is that many young families in Dallas are getting priced out of homes, and it probably has never been quite as bad as now. Good for current homeowners, bad for those that were looking to buy their first.

Perhaps wages will go up a bit, as cost of living has certainly increased a bit in recent years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or