Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times

Advertisements

We will be re-locating to the North Dallas area and in search of a more 'hands-on' technical high school experience for our son entering 11th grade. Very technically savvy & mechanically inclined, but not so much interested in conventional class-room. Not looking for the biggest and brightest, but rather something that will challenge and engage him. Came across the Plano STEAM academy which is very intriguing... but are there any other options you can recommend (not tied to Plano - open to most surrounding communities).
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 10:27 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,133,550 times
Plano ISD Academy High School

This school has a very diffrent pace and philosophy and on top of it they are backed by major corporations.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 AM

194 posts, read 303,462 times
My grandson attends a Frisco High School, Liberty HS, that has a great computer/IT program. He will graduate with some networking certifications. I discovered this weekend that some of his more advanced classes are at a CET Center (I may have The name wrong, but they did spell out CET, because they pronounced it more like CAT).

Sorry I don't have more detail, but it's worth checking out.

Last summer, he was part of a team in an interesting competition to develop applications to help people. It was inspiring to watch the teens present their ideas and results.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 AM

Liberty's program is similar to CS/IT programs in other high schools while Academy is a specialized school for kids who are more focused on STEAM fields and can't or won't compete for advance placement courses or class ranking. It's a relaxed and specialized program.

TAMS is another good choice if kid is interested in STEM fields but only if kid is a high octane high achiever.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times
Thank you all - very helpful. Plano Acedemy was what I was hoping for, but it only accepts Freshman into the program. I am looking at Lovejoy now. Any thoughts?

Old 12-17-2016, 09:28 PM

No idea, if it was any good then we would've heard about it socially or on this forum.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 10,208 times
We've been in Lovejoy for years and are close to being done here. If we had it to do over, we would have chosen private and/or HP instead.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4428 View Post
We've been in Lovejoy for years and are close to being done here. If we had it to do over, we would have chosen private and/or HP instead.
That's the consensus on Lovejoy. The district promotes itself as being equivalent to HP/privates because of the all Honors/AP curriculum. If it would set more realistic expectations, I think the right families would self-select into the district and the ones who really want private environment would go elsewhere to begin with. Lovejoy is more like a smaller Frisco ISD to me.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:43 AM

3,810 posts, read 8,706,838 times
The superintendent at Lovejoy actually made the comment "we won't create auto mechanics in our district" when they opened the HS. I was horrified to read that from an educator and quite honestly have a very negative impression of the district.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 AM

117 posts, read 149,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That's the consensus on Lovejoy. The district promotes itself as being equivalent to HP/privates because of the all Honors/AP curriculum. If it would set more realistic expectations, I think the right families would self-select into the district and the ones who really want private environment would go elsewhere to begin with. Lovejoy is more like a smaller Frisco ISD to me.
It's more of a minority opinion than a consensus. Our family doesn't over due the AP courses and my kids love the district. There are few complaints here and there from parents, but nothing is perfect. Most of those complaints have to do with pushing the kids to improve and not getting what they want or feel their child deserves.

Lovejoy High School has been around 10 years, and the district turns 100 this year. Lovejoy can't self promote itself in to high rankings from independent sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: