Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 03:17 PM

97 posts, read 92,452 times

Advertisements

Hope all are doing great! Thank you very much in advance.
I am thinking about buying house somewhere in DFW to live in mastered room and rent out other rooms to people. I am hoping the rental income will pay all bills including mortgage, real estate tax, HOA fees, maintenance cost, all utilities, etc. and may be make little profit every month. Another expectation is to resale this house at higher price in future or rent whole house to 1 family and generate profit.
I had few roommates in my nyc home for 6 months and have some experience. Main issue was cleanliness. Overall experience was good. Main benefits were rent income and social life.
What’s the best place to make it cost effective? Affordable house, high room rents, high demand for rooms, etc.
Does anyone have knowledge/experience regarding this?
What are advantages/disadvantages of having roommates?
Can you guys please share your knowledge on this?
I will sincerely appreciate all info.
Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 05:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
That is not a realistic plan at all. Let's say you buy a $250k home. Your PITI without HOA is around $1450/mo assuming 20% down. Monthly bills could be $500+ especially with so many people using electricity, water, etc. So total costs around $2000/mo. Do you really think someone is going to pay $1k+ to rent ONE room in a shared house when they could rent their own apartment for the same amout? Unless these are good friends of yours, I just don't see this happening.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:11 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenusa17 View Post
I am thinking about buying house somewhere in DFW to live in mastered room and rent out other rooms to people. I am hoping the rental income will pay all bills including mortgage, real estate tax, HOA fees, maintenance cost, all utilities, etc. and may be make little profit every month. Another expectation is to resale this house at higher price in future or rent whole house to 1 family and generate profit.
I had few roommates in my nyc home for 6 months and have some experience. Main issue was cleanliness. Overall experience was good. Main benefits were rent income and social life.
What’s the best place to make it cost effective? Affordable house, high room rents, high demand for rooms, etc.
Thank you very much
Hi there - I have a relative who rented a room due to living in the area temporarily. I don't think it's reasonable for the renters to cover all of your expenses, but I do think it's realistic to find a renter or two to offset your expenses to easer your financial burden.

I think there are people out there, who, for a variety of reasons, are looking for a room with access to an entire house versus living in an apartment of extended stay hotel. Plenty of these types of listings under room shares on Craigslist.

If I were you, I would look into the area around Las Colinas or NW Plano. These areas have a large concentration of corporate campuses, and there are international workers who might have an interest in your arrangement.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:45 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Renting rooms out in California may be common, but honestly I don't think that many people do that here. IMO it would be really creepy to have strangers living in your house.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:30 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Renting rooms out in California may be common, but honestly I don't think that many people do that here. IMO it would be really creepy to have strangers living in your house.
I came here to say the same thing. People rent rooms in California because housing is so expensive. Here in Texas, you can easily find a studio apartment for under $900/mo, so there is no reason to rent a room.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:20 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
You can probably cross HOA dues off the expense list. I'd be very surprised if you could find one that allows you to operate a boarding house (a business) out of your single family home.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:55 AM

216 posts, read 280,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenusa17 View Post
Thank you very much
I really don't see this scenario happening at all. You would more than likely have to get a four bedroom house to try to make this scenario work and there really aren't a whole lot of four bedroom homes that would be reasonable within Dallas proper and that would push you to some of the outlying suburbs. Additionally, having 4+ plus bedrooms would probably push the room rental to anywhere between 500-700 dollars and I would personally just rather get a 2-bedroom apartment, for roughly the same price, and only have to deal with one roommate then dealing with 3+ roommates.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
I knew one person who did this with a townhome around the knox/Henderson area. It lasted about a year before the owner realized the income was not enough to justify the loss of privacy and risk exposure.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:33 AM

165 posts, read 196,674 times
Don't. As others said, you'll end up with those that can't pass apartment background checks.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:58 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
Not impossible, but tough here.
If you want to do it you probably need to do it in a big city like Dallas or Fort Worth, maybe Arlington.
However you want to check to see if the cities allow it.
Many cities don't....so you're skirting the law in many cities.
Most HOA don't allow it....so you likely don't want to do it in a community with an HOA.
The trouble is with zoning.....single family zoning....and they define that.
You need to be in a place where the neighbors don't give a flip.
You go to a suburb with an HOA, I can almost guarantee you the neighbors will be all over you in a month or less.
They see the coming and going...they see the extra cars....and they don't like it...and will report you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas