Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 11:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,771 times

Advertisements

Had a water damage in 80% of our house and Travelers have only offered 1/5 of of our insured amount. Three builders already backed-out due to the low ball estimate. Travelers offered to send a mediating adjuster . What is my next recourse as homeowner? Hire an independent adjuster who will work for me (25% commission ), file a complaint with Texas Dept of Insurance or hire a Trial lawyer? It's almost 2 months and nothing has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 12:00 AM

We've never filed a homeowners claim since we moved to Travelers 10 yrs ago. We were so comfortable that we are over-insured only to find that Travelers is very tight on payout. It was a mistake moving to them. At that time, they were offering the lowest premium (bait) . Such a nightmare with what you are going through already.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:37 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Start first with a Public Insurance Adjuster who is working for you. Obviously they make nothing unless they collect for you, or at least the honest ones don't. Also check around with the PIA's to see who is offering what rates for their services.

If the PIA advises you it is a lost cause for their services then you could move to an Attorney.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:22 PM

Great advise, thanks Escanlan. There isn't a lot of private adjusters and not much reviews. I thought going straight to a lawyer (on contingency) may speed things a bit.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:07 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasite2020 View Post
Great advise, thanks Escanlan. There isn't a lot of private adjusters and not much reviews. I thought going straight to a lawyer (on contingency) may speed things a bit.
You can move straight to an Attorney but the cost is unknown and would no doubt be higher. Unfortunately the insurance companies have large legal staffs and a great deal of money that can cost you both in money and time. Chances are high an Attorney would be bringing in a Public Adjuster anyhow and billing you for it. As for contingency cases they do occur but a smart Attorney who is facing an insurance company legal machine might not even consider it.

With a Public Adjuster once you have what you need, and the insurance company still refuses to take responsibility, you can always take the issue to the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI). Hopefully you don't have to take this route (TDI complaint) and yes it adds to the time. However it costs nothing relative to what an Attorney could cost.

Obviously I don't know how much (dollar wise) is at stake here. If it is quite large then you might want the assistance of an Attorney for legal advice (non contingency case) just to make sure you move in the right direction.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:13 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,487,298 times
Can you ask them for suggestions of past re-modelers who have worked for them?
Some insurance companies have regular subs that do the work.
Do you have an independent agent that recommended them? If so work through that agent.
Third option, get an independent agent to help you change insurance, but not until your claim is finished and paid.
Maybe they agent knows of past client claims who can assist with the work recommendations.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:18 PM

Thanks TeamLynn. They do have preferred vendors who get the bulk of insurance work at lower prices for more volume. I interviewed one who was referred to me and it looks like they do tract homes. I think payout for insurance claims gets very tricky once you are over the lower housing spectrum (700K as an example). And that it costs more to build in the metroplex than way south especially labor costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas