Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm looking for a home in the same price range and it's very difficult in DFW. You'll have to find something in an area that's further away, or not as desirable.

Taxes will vary based on county, city, and school district.
Hey!

I thought you were moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 07:15 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hey!

I thought you were moving.
I am. I didn't say I was looking for a home here

I was just giving OP advice since our budgets are the same. Not being able to find a home in my price range is one of the main reasons I'm moving elsewhere in January.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:37 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
If working near DFW airport, I'd advise living in Tarrant County in that price range. Commute would be so much better. And schools & neighborhoods in that price range are better, too, than what you'll find in Dallas County.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:37 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Probably the best place close to Coppell would be Lewisville. problem is prices are up in that area quite a lot also.
A home in that price range that's decent will still get many multiple offers.

There are decent apartments around Vista Ridge Mall or in Coppell at Beltline and MacArthur. Might be their best bet until they know the area.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:30 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,859 times
Carrollton might be an option, but I see lots and lots of homes now around $220,000 range in Carrollton.
FB could be an option.
I keep thinking that is the hidden gem in DFW area. Very central, nice amenities around, lower home prices. Some giant lots on a little higher price range. Some great price appreciation just south of 635...so keep thinking it will jump the highway at some point.
Coppell will be tough in that price range. $200K now gets 1/2 duplex.
Depending on what they want the Lake Cities might be an option, like Lake Dallas, Corinth, etc.
Probably a good idea to sit down with them and talk to them about what they want, what they need, what they do, commute times, how long they plan to stay, schools, etc.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:59 PM

840 posts, read 693,815 times
I thought Dallas would be cheap compared to where I (Dad) live which is Philly. Out here most single family homes are rowhouses. I had anticipated they would find a place easily in their price range; I guess not. My daughter did say she thought maybe Coppell was in Denton ? County which might have a little cheaper tax rate. I know if they moved further out they might get more bang for their buck but I think the commute prices would cancel out the savings.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:09 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I thought Dallas would be cheap compared to where I (Dad) live which is Philly. Out here most single family homes are rowhouses. I had anticipated they would find a place easily in their price range; I guess not. My daughter did say she thought maybe Coppell was in Denton ? County which might have a little cheaper tax rate. I know if they moved further out they might get more bang for their buck but I think the commute prices would cancel out the savings.
Coppell has among the highest tax rates, but they are all quite similar. The Dallas metropolitan area has had explosive growth and many corporate headquarters or regional/division relocations in the past decade. Housing prices reflect the growth. Our property taxes are high because we have no income tax. Still, for a major metro area, our housing prices are reasonable. We suffer with incredibly difficult traffic so proximity to the workplace is highly desirable. Your kids really need to pay attention to their commutes.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
The DFW area is one of the hottest real estate markets in the country. Many parts of DFW have seen home prices growing at 10-20% per year for the last 3+ years. Home prices aren't East Coast high yet but Dallas is no longer a cheap flyover city.

My recommendation is for your daughter to RENT for the first year. If she's moving from Philly and young, they're going to experience major culture shock on top of adjusting to new jobs, new friends, driving vs public transit, etc. No need to rush and buy a home - especially at such a low price point. It's going to take some in-depth research to ensure they are buying in a safe area that is an acceptable commuting distance.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:31 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
There would have been more homes available in that price range 10 years ago, but 6 million people have moved to Texas in the last 10 years. The cost of living/home prices/rent have increased as a result. "It's cheap to live in Texas" is a myth unless you sold a home and are moving from a higher priced metro. Houses in far north Fort Worth that would have rented for $1000 to $1200 a month in 2008 are going for $1600 to $1800.00 a month now. Traffic in DFW is a nightmare. Live as close to your workplace as possible. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2016, 05:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
Quote:
We moved here from another state in the summer of 2013, just as home prices started to increase.
They have really increased dramatically in that time, and seem to still be on the rise.

(Unfortunately, our house has hardly increased at all. )

Property taxes are also much higher than in other states we've lived in.
And if there's a commute to work involved, beware the toll roads. They add up.
In general, the cost of living here is much higher than the research we did showed.

That all being said, Tarrant County (more toward the Fort Worth area) may still be affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas