Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:17 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozoxxx View Post
of the rental income?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 07:35 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
As of late, Frisco and Colony had one of the highest appreciation rates (percentage wise) in collin county. They just started lower. I know people who sold in Frisco at 50%-70% or more gain in just several years. This cannot happen in west plano, it is too expensive.
Those were newer homes bought at low prices. Once homes bought at current inflated prices will get old then we'll see how much "appreciation" Frisco and The Colony get compared to more desireable locations. We've been through that in Mesquite and Irving.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 AM

165 posts, read 196,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Percentage gains don't matter.

Oh boy, where and when did I heard that before?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:27 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Percentage gains don't matter; dollar gains do. A $300k house in Frisco that gained 50% in value is now with $450k, a $150k gain. A $600k house in West Plano would only have to appreciate 25% to gain $150k in value. A $1M house in HP/UP would only have to appreciate 15% during the same time go gain $150k in value.

Our Preston Hollow/North Dallas house hasn't appreciated nearly as fast, percentage-wise, as Frisco or other CoCo suburbs, but our dollar gains are larger because we're growing from a larger base.
And two 300k houses is Frisco, would have appreciated by 2x150=300k and so on. Percentages do matter.

And , they appreciated so much because they had more room upwards. I'm not saying this will continue. A "compression" in the home prices is one of the first signs of unhealthy house market.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:10 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iberanon View Post
Oh boy, where and when did I heard that before?
All I know is that I don't pay my bills with percentages, nor can I retire on a percentage. Dollars ultimately matter.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:45 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Read this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...nant-your.html

Do you still think renting it out is a good idea?

Old 12-02-2016, 09:23 AM

253 posts, read 228,922 times
Based on your original post it doesn't sound like you can afford to cover two mortgages in the event you have a hard time finding a tenant or end up with one who likes to pay rent late. Landlord-Tenant laws are already kind of a nightmare in California: Overview of Landlord-Tenant Laws in California | Nolo.com. Add the fact that you'll be out of state and you have a recipe for disaster if you aren't on top of things.

That being said, if you handle things properly you could also turn your current home into a secondary means of income without having to give up the property.

After you've familiarized yourself with the rental laws in your state the most important thing to do is find a good tenant. The three big tips I've got for you are to:
1. Meet with them in person, at least twice. Take notice of how they treat their car (this is good indicator of how they might treat your property!
2. Require at least two references from previous landlords or employers. Get phone numbers and CALL these people. They will be your best chance at getting an understanding of how reliable this person is.
3. Charge an application fee and run a full background and credit check ( I use Tenant Screening Services | Renter Background Reports - MyRental.com).

You'll also need to put together a tight lease/rental agreement: Leases and Rental Agreements - Nolo.com and have a management company/reliable handyman as well as lawyer on speed dial in case anything goes wrong.

If all of this sounds like something you're willing and able to do, then by all means consider it, but if I were in your position I would just sell the house unless I was dead-set on returning in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: