Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 AM

21 posts, read 34,864 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional (male, early 30's) and single, who will be moving to Dallas from out of state. Based on what I have seen on the Internet, Uptown appears to be a nice area to live in.

Can you tell me what it would be like for someone like me to live in Uptown --- things to do, opportunities to meet other young professionals, dating scene, level of safety of the area, etc.?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Do you like flashy and expensive things? Do you like being around other people who like these things? Do you like shopping at Whole Foods, then grabbing a bite to eat at a local organic cafe? These are the kind of people who enjoy living in Uptown.

I personally prefer the Bishop Arts district. More "hole in the wall" places, tattoo shops, florists, etc.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Do you like flashy and expensive things? Do you like being around other people who like these things? Do you like shopping at Whole Foods, then grabbing a bite to eat at a local organic cafe? These are the kind of people who enjoy living in Uptown.

I personally prefer the Bishop Arts district. More "hole in the wall" places, tattoo shops, florists, etc.
Uptown: $30k millionaires.

Bishop Arts: Hipsters.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:33 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Uptown: $30k millionaires.

Bishop Arts: Hipsters.

I guess you're right about that! Uptown might be a better place to live, but BA is a better place to get lunch and walk around.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:44 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
I lived there for a while. I loved the close proximity to DART, the Kroger on Haskell had great produce and was a step above the average Kroger, and it has easy access to downtown and US 75. It's fairly walkable as far as Dallas, which is a rarity for Texas cities. Cole Park is a nice green space to unwind and take a stroll around after midnight.

The only negatives were that restaurants were middling but way overpriced (Lower Greenville has much better gastropub options) and the bar scene is dominated by spray tans, cowboy boots that have never seen a speck of dirt, and superficial folks. If you're not much of a nightlife person this matters very little. Uptown in general feels a little too sanitized and bland, but its also such a new development - it still needs time to find its character.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
This article includes a majority of Uptown locations for a reason:

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/dall...fter-you-re-30

Uptown is predominantly a <30 bar-centric spend-what-you-earn demographic. It's a very safe area (most of the Dallas area is) but very nomadic so if you prefer to have personal relationships measured in months, then it's great. New places are opening up often because it's hard to run a business when your customer base is made up of college grads with high debt who don't tip.

I'd strongly suggest you visit the area first before committing to anything. Most of the bars and restaurants have sister locations North of 635 these days to it's becoming an uptown clone with the higher net worth and more stable demographic.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Uptown is predominantly a <30 bar-centric spend-what-you-earn demographic. It's a very safe area (most of the Dallas area is) but very nomadic so if you prefer to have personal relationships measured in months, then it's great. New places are opening up often because it's hard to run a business when your customer base is made up of college grads with high debt who don't tip.
Not really. This is close enough: Uptown Dallas Demographics & Statistics. Uptown's median income is as high as Plano's with smaller households and younger age.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Sigh. I don't know where/when the stereotype for Uptown became all about the $30k millionaire, but that is NOT how it really is in Uptown.

I used to live there, and while it does draw a younger crowd to the number of bars and restaurants, there are many people who live in the area who are NOT renting, and own townhomes and condos, and none of them are $30k millionaires. These are people with professional jobs and generally make a lot of money. It's not the $30k millionaires who are parking their Ferraris, Porsches, and Jags along McKinney Ave and the West Village.

There are also plenty of places for people who aren't into the "flashy" lifestyle... Idle Rich and the Gingerman immediately spring to mind. Tons of places are not pretentious at all.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:02 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Not really. This is close enough: Uptown Dallas Demographics & Statistics. Uptown's median income is as high as Plano's with smaller households and younger age.
This!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Sigh. I don't know where/when the stereotype for Uptown became all about the $30k millionaire, but that is NOT how it really is in Uptown.

I used to live there, and while it does draw a younger crowd to the number of bars and restaurants, there are many people who live in the area who are NOT renting, and own townhomes and condos, and none of them are $30k millionaires. These are people with professional jobs and generally make a lot of money. It's not the $30k millionaires who are parking their Ferraris, Porsches, and Jags along McKinney Ave and the West Village.

There are also plenty of places for people who aren't into the "flashy" lifestyle... Idle Rich and the Gingerman immediately spring to mind. Tons of places are not pretentious at all.
Whenever I've been there, that's what I've seen.

Emphasis on "seen."

The people with "professional jobs" are probably doing the same thing I'm doing: staying home in the evenings and watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas