Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 11:00 PM

776 posts, read 1,204,248 times

Advertisements

I have a relative moving to the Dallas area who is a convert to Catholicism. They are trying to find a Catholic Church in the Metroplex that incorporates contemporary praise and worship songs , e.g. , OneSonicSociety, Jesus Culture, Chris Tomlin, Hillsong etc into Mass instead of traditional hymns.

The closest I'm aware of that has any of this type of music is St. Jude in Allen. I would sincerely appreciate any other recommendations I can pass along if anyone attending a Catholic Church can advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 11:49 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,517,232 times
St. Ann in Coppell.

But honestly, most of the parishes do around here if you attend their teen mass (usually Sunday evenings)

Old 12-14-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
St. Ann in Coppell.

But honestly, most of the parishes do around here if you attend their teen mass (usually Sunday evenings)
Thank you! I will mention St Ann. That was another one I figured might be a good suggestion. Is there a particular mass time at St Ann to suggest, or would this be in any of the weekend masses?

Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 PM

the 4:30 PM on Sunday, though all the music is more on the contemporary side

Old 12-14-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
the 4:30 PM on Sunday, though all the music is more on the contemporary side
Perfect - will let them know, ty

Old 12-16-2016, 08:53 PM

390 posts, read 711,122 times
I like the other end of the spectrum: Gregorian Chant Mass at the St. Thomas Aquinas 4pm Saturday vigil. I like my Latin lessons

Old 12-20-2016, 03:30 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,376,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
I like the other end of the spectrum: Gregorian Chant Mass at the St. Thomas Aquinas 4pm Saturday vigil. I like my Latin lessons
I loved visiting St. John Cantius in Chicago a couple weeks ago for the 12:30 PM Extraordinary Form (Tridentine) Sunday Mass. I was bummed that it wasn't the normative Solemn High, but a Missa Cantata (Sung High Mass committing the deacon and subdeacon).

The only contemporary Praise & Worship music you'll hear in in a typical American parish is the horrible combination promulgated mostly by Marty Haugen and David Hass through the blue hymnals of Chicago-based GIA (structured like Broadway show tunes, favorites include Gather us In, One Bread One Body, etc.). They were contemporary during the mid '70s-early '90s and still currently hugely popular in urban, suburban, and even rural North America.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The only contemporary Praise & Worship music you'll hear in in a typical American parish is the horrible combination promulgated mostly by Marty Haugen and David Hass through the blue hymnals of Chicago-based GIA (structured like Broadway show tunes, favorites include Gather us In, One Bread One Body, etc.). They were contemporary during the mid '70s-early '90s and still currently hugely popular in urban, suburban, and even rural North America.
Not my experience in DFW parishes. I absolutely know what you are talking about though!

Old 12-20-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I loved visiting St. John Cantius in Chicago a couple weeks ago for the 12:30 PM Extraordinary Form (Tridentine) Sunday Mass. I was bummed that it wasn't the normative Solemn High, but a Missa Cantata (Sung High Mass committing the deacon and subdeacon).

I know what you're saying as well but disagree for the Dallas area. I've visited St. Jude with relatives in Allen, and their Noon Mass on Sunday, as well as the 5:30 Mass had new songs you'd hear on Air1 or Christian radio today such as Chris Tomlin & Matt Redman.

My family member did visit St. Ann's Noon Mass per the suggestion on this board & told me that while they had a guitar, etc, none of the songs were contemporary - maybe it was an off week.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,376,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The only contemporary Praise & Worship music you'll hear in in a typical American parish is the horrible combination promulgated mostly by Marty Haugen and David Hass through the blue hymnals of Chicago-based GIA (structured like Broadway show tunes, favorites include Gather us In, One Bread One Body, etc.).
Some, or many, Catholic churches in DFW seem to have an evangelical music influence. As such, the 1970s hymnals with the hippy cover art are still ordered, but not used as much as in other cities. I prefer the truly traditional to the evangelical, but I"ll pick the evangelical over the hippy any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas