Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 PM

287 posts, read 517,190 times

Advertisements

This is what I am hearing about the class of 2014 numbers: Graduating class of almost 1100 students. On a 4-point GPA scale, 20% have a GPA higher than 4.0. TWENTY PERCENT! That is completely insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanone View Post
This is what I am hearing about the class of 2014 numbers: Graduating class of almost 1100 students. On a 4-point GPA scale, 20% have a GPA higher than 4.0. TWENTY PERCENT! That is completely insane.
I assume they have accelerated/AP type courses that go up to 5 for A's? Because if so this is nothing new - they had this in my high school in IL when I attended over 30 years ago (30 years? Man, time flies).

Old 05-20-2014, 04:22 PM

287 posts, read 517,190 times
Nothing new for 20% of a graduating class to have above a 4.0 GPA? I don't know where in Illinois this is going on, but I think that is beyond highly unusual and shocking. The biggest problem is that kids who are taking normal classes mixed with a few AP classes have ZERO chance at automatic admission to TX schools if they get so much as one B (per the 7% auto admission rule here). These poor kids can't even afford to take a class they might be remotely interested in if they even have a hint of getting lower than an A in the class.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 PM

631 posts, read 884,567 times
Quote:
Nothing new for 20% of a graduating class to have above a 4.0 GPA? I don't know where in Illinois this is going on, but I think that is beyond highly unusual and shocking. The biggest problem is that kids who are taking normal classes mixed with a few AP classes have ZERO chance at automatic admission to TX schools if they get so much as one B (per the 7% auto admission rule here). These poor kids can't even afford to take a class they might be remotely interested in if they even have a hint of getting lower than an A in the class.
7% is only for UT. At A&M it's top 10% or top 25% with a 1300 SAT (or whatever the equivalent ACT score is). At Tech and all the other publics, it's considerably lower. The reality is that yeah, if you're at Plano West, and you aren't taking any honors/AP, you probably aren't getting into UT. I could have told you that without seeing this statistic.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:40 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound crazy at all. Don't approx 60%+ of Plano West students take Honors and AP classes? A 4.0 weighted GPA is A's in regular classes, B's in Honors classes, and B- in AP classes. When 3% of the class is NMSF, I'm sure there's at least 17% more kids who can manage to make solid B's in Honors/AP classes.

Weighted GPA's are nothing new, at least not around here for the last 20+ years.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
7% is only for UT. At A&M it's top 10% or top 25% with a 1300 SAT (or whatever the equivalent ACT score is). At Tech and all the other publics, it's considerably lower. The reality is that yeah, if you're at Plano West, and you aren't taking any honors/AP, you probably aren't getting into UT. I could have told you that without seeing this statistic.
Actually, the state universities don't fill every slot with top 7/10% students. They take a good number of kids from top public schools who fall below the 7% cutoff, but are from competitive high schools and have excellent SAT's and Extracurriculars. I'd say anyone in the top 20-25% of a competitive public like HP / Plano West / Austin Westlake/ etc should apply to A&M and / or UT and has a decent shot at admissions. The admissions offices value these kids as well-prepared for college and adding to the makeup of their freshman class. However, the kids in the 8th percentile at DISD Madison or Little Elm HS has absolutely no chance.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM

91 posts, read 151,007 times
Plano schools are great places to get good education and their scores confirm their standard of education. Going to school with students who are smart and hard working helps you get ready for college education. Just getting into college isn't the ultimate goal, learning well and performing well is important as well. College students from good schools have lower drop out rates compared to students from mediocre and poor schools. Here is a story of automatic admit at UT.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/18...html?referrer=

Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,425 times
PISD specific:

If you take just enough APs to cancel the required "regulars" courses, such as PE, health, first year of language, etc. (4 or 5 APs over the 4 years would accomplish that), and take honors courses for all the rest, you'd only need to maintain a 90 average to get a 4.1 GPA.

Take a couple more APs, say 3 junior year and 3 senior year, and a 87-88 overall average would still put you over the 4.0 mark.

So, 20% can do that? Not insane at all. Given PWSH's demographics, surprised it isn't more.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,026,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renu.Uner View Post
Plano schools are great places to get good education and their scores confirm their standard of education. Going to school with students who are smart and hard working helps you get ready for college education. Just getting into college isn't the ultimate goal, learning well and performing well is important as well. College students from good schools have lower drop out rates compared to students from mediocre and poor schools. Here is a story of automatic admit at UT.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/18...html?referrer=

Thank you for posting that link. It was a very interesting read because it dove deeper into the problem than just saying students for poorer districts can't cut it.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Thank you for posting that link. It was a very interesting read because it dove deeper into the problem than just saying students for poorer districts can't cut it.
I thought it was interesting as well.

Although I've got to say if the chemistry professor and others spent 6/8 hours per week studying-up and tutoring the evil white kids as well as the lower quintile kids the kids at the top would rock it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas