Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:24 AM

49 posts, read 67,832 times

Advertisements

Hello we are relocating to the Southlake area in January 2017. My daughter is 5 years old, exceptionally bright as determined by her teachers, with an October birthday. She is currently in a state where she makes the kindergarten cut off and she's not challenged at all in her current kindergarten class, a Great Schools rated 10/10 public school.

Unfortunately, she does not make the kindergarten cut off in the state of Texas and after speaking with some Carroll ISD personnel, they have determined that she does not even qualify to be transferred into the kindergarten program but rather, she will have to attend Pre-k when we move there in January 2017. There is huge concern on my part, as well as her educators, on downgrading and depriving her of the education that is appropriate for her intelligence. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I do feel she is a gifted child and if I am unable to cater her learning to give her the challenge and stimulation she yearns for, then I fear she will become disconnected in school. Even considering Clariden School or other private school to avoid a downgrade in her academic progress. Any comments will be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 07:46 AM

998 posts, read 2,448,650 times
Private school and then transfer in 2nd grade (or better if you can afford it, 6th grade). Just fyi, this thread should probably be in the Fort Worth forum instead.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,284,205 times
You'll need private school.

We are very happy with the Oakridge School in Fort Worth for our grandkid. Before elementary grades, she attended their preschool, then preK programs. They have a great pre-K program and also Kindergarten. Because she lives zoned to an outstanding elementary, she then went to her local public. Next year she returns to Oakridge for 7-12.

My gkid is not gifted. I do recall she was tested (at age 3) and placed in the class for children her age. Perhaps your child will be placed directly into a kindergarten class based on her skills.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:09 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,214,157 times
Your ONLY choice is private school until 2nd grade. Be warned that there are not many academically challenging private schools between Dallas and Fort Worth so you will likely have a long school commute for her. January is the month that all applications are due so get on it today!!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:40 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,193,352 times
What TurtleCreek says isn't totally true.

If you're willing to consider private I would recommend EA Young Academy in Keller. It's a small gifted private school in Keller just outside of the Southlake/Keller city boundary. We haven't attended the school but my gifted older son has attended a few summer camps there and was impressed.

Unfortunately the other private school options I'd consider are in south Fort Worth which would be an awful drive from Southlake.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:17 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,149,666 times
This is Texas, a lot of people redshirt their kids to give them maturity advantage for sports, academics and leadership. Your special snowflake may be better off as the smartest one in her peers then an average kid among older children.

However, if she is extraordinarily intelligent with 200 IQ or 250 COGAT then go with homeschooling or a private school with special accommodation for gifted children. She wouldn't be served well or valued in public schools.

If you must go public route then I really don't know policies in Carroll ISD but some districts honor grade placement from other states or private schools so if your kid is already doing KG in another state then they'll honor that. Some districts let students test for higher grade placement. You can ask other top school districts and see if you can move there, instead of moving to Carroll ISD.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:36 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,183,476 times
Take a look at Waypoint Montessori in Colleyville as an option.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:21 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,539,094 times
Quote:
This is Texas, a lot of people redshirt their kids to give them maturity advantage for sports, academics and leadership. Your special snowflake may be better off as the smartest one in her peers then an average kid among older children.
I have to admit, the frequency of posts like this (and I am the mother of a daughter the same age) make me roll my eyes a tad--there seem to be quite the bumper crop of gifted children in this socioeconomic level.

That being said, don't forget about social and physical development--that's just as important at this age. Unless she is truly above and beyond all of her peers, you can probably supplement her with outside activities and she will be just fine.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 AM

565 posts, read 719,651 times
Did Carroll ISD say what the protocol would be if your daughter started at PreK and then was found to have mastered all the Prek concepts? Would they move her up then?

As PPs have said, your best bet may be private and then transfer during 2nd grade back to public schools into the grade you want her to be in.

FWIW, I taught gifted children for many years in a DFW public school and we had an excellent program. We had many students who had skipped a year of school; a few times I had students who had skipped multiple years of school. They had their own friend group and little niche among other kids in the gifted program. I live in another state now, but some of my former students have friended me on social media and are doing so well now--in medical school, working on PHDs...one is an actual rocket scientist. One started college in the TAMS program at UNT after 8th grade.

So don't discount public schools once your daughter can transfer in. I'm not sure if it's changed in recent years, but it used to be that Texas public schools didn't do gifted testing and start programs until 2nd grade or so anyway. From a personal experience--I am no genius, but I was always verbally advanced. I could read whole books independently before starting school. I was in a regular class until 2nd grade, and I got a lot of one on one time with the school librarian. While the other kids were working on flash cards and phonics, I got to go down to the library by myself and read lots of books on comfy bean bags on the floor with the librarian supervising me and suggesting new books. I never felt like I wasn't challenged, and the teachers did a good job of differentiating instruction for me.

Good Luck!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:38 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,183,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Did Carroll ISD say what the protocol would be if your daughter started at PreK and then was found to have mastered all the Prek concepts? Would they move her up then?
I would be surprised if Carroll has PreK at all. My impression is that public PreK is for disadvanted families of which there aren't many in Southlake.

Even with preK, you generally cannot "accelerate" until you have reached the age of 5 by September. This has been covered on the forum before.

My suggestion is to go with private Montessori which mixes ages anyway, then you can attempt acceleration for fall 2017 if child is 5 by September 1. You would need to get a Montessori which mixes K level kids with 3-4 year olds. Not all do this but I would be fairly certain that Waypoint (formerly Barbara Gordon) in Colleyville would as it's AMI accredited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas