Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yep. It's hard to find anyone originally from Dallas in Dallas these days, but oddly enough, most of the Black folks from Dallas who live in Southern Dallas County, Cedar Hill, DeSoto, etc are native to the area. I think that's the main reason why the Black community in Dallas seems so slow and behind and not very unified, versus an Atlanta or even a Houston, which are cities that tend to draw plenty of the best and brightest black transplants from many different places.
Yes Dallas is way to slow and behind for progressive Blacks as there is nowhere for them to thrive here which is why the crab-n-barrel mentality is prevalent amongst them here. It's every man for himself therefor every other Black person is a threat and they must do whatever to maintain their "token" position.

Not to mention the influx of the deep south transplants from Louisiana etc. that basically outnumber the native Blacks now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,707 times
I'm happy I don't have such strong expectations tied to my race. Sounds like a burden.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I really think your expectations of Dallas are going to leave you disappointed and it sounds like you're running from ATL thinking the grass is greener in Dallas and I can assure you it's not for what it is you're looking for. Dallas is not even close to having the Black community that resides in ATL and unless you're able to co-exist with other races, you're not going to succeed here. Even moving to the Southern part of the city, you will still share the community with lots of Hispanics and some Whites and there are no nice establishments that are going to be majority Blacks such as happy hours etc. Dallas just doesn't have that Black economic presence that you'll find in ATL.

Also when it comes to dating there are a lot of Black professional single women that are looking for Black men, so don't think your options are going to be any better here than ATL. Not to mention a lot of Black men are with and date non-Black women and that's not something that's prevalent in ATL. As for work you're certainly going to have to learn how to co-exist with other races because you're going to be outnumbered and only sticking with Blacks will certainly hinder you in the workplace because they will view you as a threat and make sure you don't out do them. Blacks in Dallas are a different breed and most progressive Blacks do not stick around long.

Bottom line you're not going to find what you're looking for here and I suggest you really consider other options before deciding on Dallas.
Straight truth.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:09 AM

385 posts, read 488,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
^ Agreed.

We don't get too many people on these forums looking for advice on moving to Cedar Hill and the surrounding areas. We get far fewer looking to live in those areas if they have an MBA and are going for their doctorate. Most single, upwardly mobile professionals are looking to be where the action is and where the opportunities are, and that is either the downtown/Uptown area, or even as far north as Plano or McKinney, since Plano is a major jobs center. You're not going to be able to find a demographic like you're used to in Atlanta, so the next best thing to do is be in an area where you fit in professionally and economically.
Side note, but most people don't even go back for an MBA until they have at least a few years of work experience. Although there are exceptions, most reputable programs won't even accept your application unless you have a minimum of two years of experience.

Not to give OP a hard time, but the majority of the young professionals that you'll meet in the hip neighborhoods won't care about your education level either as long as you have a bachelor's degree.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:39 PM

155 posts, read 206,643 times
Welcome to the DFW my GA sister.I recommend you to Look at Dallas Meetup to find Black organizations..Dallas may not have as many as Atlanta but it has its share, Trust me. It is the second or third I believe largest city with the increase of its Black population after Atlanta and Houston or maybe just after Atlanta. I want to move back to Dallas again and have even posted on here about possibly attending Paul Quinn College, However, It is 2016 has it made any improvements yet and will it make any sense attending if they're still NATIONALLY ACCREDITED when I want to attend Medical School.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:12 PM

230 posts, read 258,736 times
Not to mess things up or get people scared. People have mentioned that Dallas has a severe HIV problem. Up to sixty percent of population has HIV in the black population that is not getting attention that it requires. There are 30 zip codes in Dallas. I'm black BTW don't kill me over this. Looking for places after school but damn, this gave me cause to pause

Old 12-24-2016, 08:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
Not to mess things up or get people scared. People have mentioned that Dallas has a severe HIV problem. Up to sixty percent of population has HIV in the black population that is not getting attention that it requires. There are 30 zip codes in Dallas. I'm black BTW don't kill me over this. Looking for places after school but damn, this gave me cause to pause
You really misunderstood some stats-> 60% of the HIV+ population here is black. Not 60% of blacks are HIV+. There is a BIG, BIG difference between those two statements.

According to local news outlets, there are around 15,000 HIV+ people receiving treatment in Dallas County. Dallas County has almost 2,500,000 residents. About 550,000 of the Dallas County residents are black. If 60% of the HIV+ population is black, that means that approx 1.5% of black residents are HIV+. Not 60%. See- BIG difference.

This doesn't mean HIV isn't an issue that deserves attention, but Dallas is not having an HIV epidemic by any means.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:05 AM

230 posts, read 258,736 times
Sorry that's what I meant so sorry

Old 12-25-2016, 12:44 PM

641 posts, read 801,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsariel314 View Post
Hello everyone! I am a 23 (about to be 24) year old black female who is relocating to the Dallas area. I am originally from Atlanta but I'm ready for something new. I have been to Dallas twice and fell in love with the big houses, southern hospitality ( that Atlanta no longer has because no one is from here anymore) and the great cost of living. In 6 months I will be relocating to Texas and I would like some recommendations.

I would like to be around young black professionals like myself. I have an MBA( Master of Business Administration) and I should be finish with my PhD in 2 years. Also, what companies should I take a look at that has a good young black population. I want to hit the ground running so that I can meet people. Any great neighborhoods to move to for single young blacks? I am most interested in cities south of Dallas like Desoto, Cedar hill, etc because I've been told that they have a good black population and that's one thing that I know I will miss from being in Atlanta ( the city that I'm from is about 90% black). I know I won't get that in Dallas but I would like to be as close as possible.

Any recommendations for nice apartments or black professional organizations to join?

Thank you in advance!!
Been here for 12 years and came from NC. I have family in Atlanta and am somewhat familiar with the city.

I'm also a young black male with a family and have spent countless of hours researching the very type thing that you are asking to move my family in an area where we can feel more at home and welcomed.

If you want to be immersed in blackness and surrounded by black professionals (I also wanted this), your best bet is Desoto. Afterwards, I'd say Cedar Hill. I was strongly considering these two cities. I eventually decided against it and honestly believe it's one of the best choices I could've made (as the head of a black family).

Reasons:

This may be inflammatory but that black immersion that you want in DFW area amongst black professionals will be unfamiliar to you here. Atlanta and DC is creme of the crop for that type of thing. Blacks here are not as progressive, less educated, and come across as more "step and fetch" than the ones back on the east coast and in Atlanta.

With that said, you can still find very affluent predominately blk neighborhoods in Desoto (mostly) and Cedar Hill with tons of educated black professionals. The problem is that most of those areas will also be saturated with people that wouldn't fit your idea of an area full of "professional/educated black professionals." Not only that, it's not really an ideal place for a single person. So in that regards, these areas may fall short of your expectations.

In DFW, very diverse areas will be the areas that you find the most single black professionals (% wise per 100 black people) than the predominant black areas of Desoto, CH, Lancaster. Not only that, Diverse areas will be closer to the types of employment that you are seeking and you won't have to sacrifice being in an area saturated by people you may not want to be around.

I chose the south Grand Prairie (mira lagos/grand peninsula), far east mansfield section of the metro because it is truly diverse and has a vast amount of black professionals. It's about 30-40% black and it's saturated with black middle to upper middle income professionals. Not only that, the other ethnicities seem very laid back, welcoming, and accepting of diversity. Which to me is true diversity. Not only what looks diverse, but what's diverse mentally. That's important! Its about 30% black, 30% hispanic, 30% white, and the rest asian and other. Not only that, it borders predominately black areas like S Arlington 5-10mins away, Cedar Hill 10-15mins away, Desoto 20mins away, so I can be truly immersed when I want to be.

This is just one of many diverse areas in the metro and it's the best option for my family. This area also has predominately black public schools ranked 10/10 which is unheard of anywhere else in the metroplex. To me, that's evidence that these areas are full of families ran by black professionals who see the importance of education. This area allowed me to get my black immersion without having to sacrifice by being around the types of people I want to avoid (mostly lower income problematic people). And no, I'm not saying all lower income people are problematic, a lot of them are very good and honest people who can't get a break.

I think you'd also be happy in CH and Desoto but a lot of people in those areas make there way to Arlington or Dallas for a night out or happy hour. I'd think as a single black person, it would be better to be in a truly diverse area in an area that single black professionals are likely to hang out (Dallas, Addison). You can still get your black immersive experience and be surrounded by black professionals and other ethnicities who are accepting of you.

Check out the race dot map to find diverse or predominately black area:

https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/index.html

2nd: Check out the home prices and rental prices of those areas to get a sense of the income levels of the people living there. I'd conclude that the area is fit for your ideal area if there are a lot of green dots and the cost of most the rentals or houses would be too high for someone in poverty and ideal for a so called black professional (which I assume would make at least 40-50k a year).

For predomintately black: Desoto, CH, Lancaster
For Diversity and tons of black professionals: Arlington, Mansfield, S Grand Prairie
For Diversity and still a good % of us: Addison/Carrolton/maybe Las Colinas

Last edited by FJB327; 12-25-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 05:42 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Been here for 12 years and came from NC. I have family in Atlanta and am somewhat familiar with the city.

I'm also a young black male with a family and have spent countless of hours researching the very type thing that you are asking to move my family in an area where we can feel more at home and welcomed.

If you want to be immersed in blackness and surrounded by black professionals (I also wanted this), your best bet is Desoto. Afterwards, I'd say Cedar Hill. I was strongly considering these two cities. I eventually decided against it and honestly believe it's one of the best choices I could've made (as the head of a black family).

Reasons:

This may be inflammatory but that black immersion that you want in DFW area amongst black professionals will be unfamiliar to you here. Atlanta and DC is creme of the crop for that type of thing. Blacks here are not as progressive, less educated, and come across as more "step and fetch" than the ones back on the east coast and in Atlanta.

With that said, you can still find very affluent predominately blk neighborhoods in Desoto (mostly) and Cedar Hill with tons of educated black professionals. The problem is that most of those areas will also be saturated with people that wouldn't fit your idea of an area full of "professional/educated black professionals." Not only that, it's not really an ideal place for a single person. So in that regards, these areas may fall short of your expectations.

In DFW, very diverse areas will be the areas that you find the most single black professionals (% wise per 100 black people) than the predominant black areas of Desoto, CH, Lancaster. Not only that, Diverse areas will be closer to the types of employment that you are seeking and you won't have to sacrifice being in an area saturated by people you may not want to be around.

I chose the south Grand Prairie (mira lagos/grand peninsula), far east mansfield section of the metro because it is truly diverse and has a vast amount of black professionals. It's about 30-40% black and it's saturated with black middle to upper middle income professionals. Not only that, the other ethnicities seem very laid back, welcoming, and accepting of diversity. Which to me is true diversity. Not only what looks diverse, but what's diverse mentally. That's important! Its about 30% black, 30% hispanic, 30% white, and the rest asian and other. Not only that, it borders predominately black areas like S Arlington 5-10mins away, Cedar Hill 10-15mins away, Desoto 20mins away, so I can be truly immersed when I want to be.

This is just one of many diverse areas in the metro and it's the best option for my family. This area also has predominately black public schools ranked 10/10 which is unheard of anywhere else in the metroplex. To me, that's evidence that these areas are full of families ran by black professionals who see the importance of education. This area allowed me to get my black immersion without having to sacrifice by being around the types of people I want to avoid (mostly lower income problematic people). And no, I'm not saying all lower income people are problematic, a lot of them are very good and honest people who can't get a break.

I think you'd also be happy in CH and Desoto but a lot of people in those areas make there way to Arlington or Dallas for a night out or happy hour. I'd think as a single black person, it would be better to be in a truly diverse area in an area that single black professionals are likely to hang out (Dallas, Addison). You can still get your black immersive experience and be surrounded by black professionals and other ethnicities who are accepting of you.

Check out the race dot map to find diverse or predominately black area:

https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/index.html

2nd: Check out the home prices and rental prices of those areas to get a sense of the income levels of the people living there. I'd conclude that the area is fit for your ideal area if there are a lot of green dots and the cost of most the rentals or houses would be too high for someone in poverty and ideal for a so called black professional (which I assume would make at least 40-50k a year).

For predomintately black: Desoto, CH, Lancaster
For Diversity and tons of black professionals: Arlington, Mansfield, S Grand Prairie
For Diversity and still a good % of us: Addison/Carrolton/maybe Las Colinas
This post needs to be bookmarked for all Blacks that are considering moving to Dallas! This post is beautifully written and covers all important aspects one should acquire before deciding to relocate.

Well done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas