Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:48 PM

254 posts, read 191,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Remember that Coit Rd. was there before Central Expwy was. Also two rail lines, MKT and Central Pacific (I think), plus the interurban over on what is now Matilda, running out to Sherman (if memory serves). So I would guess that there were businesses fronting on Mockingbird (Western Electric), Greenville (tourist courts, don't know what else - when did Shamburger's start doing business at that location?), and Coit Rd (later to be Central Expwy). Yale Blvd (recently renamed "SMU Blvd") and Dyer Ave. also ran through there from an early stage.

The Central Pacific ran along Coit Rd. north of Mockingbird,and continued on toward downtown south of Mockingbird. The MKT ran southwest toward downtown south of Mockingbird and north of Mockingbird it ran roughly northeast - its railbed is now the DART line. The Katy Trail is named after, no surprise, the MKT whose railbed it largely uses. The MKT RR was headquartered in Dallas at least when I was young. The interurban is the closest thing to today's concept of "light rail" - it ran down what is now Matilda and I believe it ran all the way to Sherman or maybe to Denison. I'm not sure when the interurban was shut down, some time after the war because my mother definitely used it and she came to Dallas in '47 I believe. When I was a kid the interurban tracks were still in place in some places down Matilda. Also I remember when a repaving of Greenville Ave. eliminated the last of the brick paving (it had been asphalted over, but the bricks were still under there).

Before the Village Apartments there was the Lovers Lane riding stables where we would hire horses occasionally when I was a small boy. I remember quite well when the Village and Old Town were built. I think there was a small airstrip on that land before my time.

Also, as a point of trivia, Skillman used to be called Lindbergh Rd. after Charles Lindbergh, but apparently was renamed around the time of WW2 as Charles Lindbergh was somewhat of a German sympathizer.
Odd isn't it? In Houston when I was a teenager living with my dad in Bellaire, we watched motocross racing not too far from the Houston Galleria. When we went over to haunt that mall, we would enter in through the Neiman Marcus.

I think the legal designation about that particular area of Upper Greenville has grown confusing lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 04:18 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
If you look at the map of the PID, there is very little residential, all apartments like the Phoenix, no single family.

http://www.dallas-ecodev.org/wp-cont...University.pdf

Old 12-30-2016, 04:45 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
If you look at the map of the PID, there is very little residential, all apartments like the Phoenix, no single family.

http://www.dallas-ecodev.org/wp-cont...University.pdf
There actually are several owners of residences in the area too. Includes individually owned condos at The Shelby, Residences at The Highland Hotel, and Single family homes and duplexes around Glencoe park. Winston and Anita also have single family homes.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
There actually are several owners of residences in the area too. Includes individually owned condos at The Shelby, Residences at The Highland Hotel, and Single family homes and duplexes around Glencoe park. Winston and Anita also have single family homes.
I am surprised more isn't reported on about that little commercial area within University Crossing. I think Mockingbird Station overshadows it.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:53 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
I am surprised more isn't reported on about that little commercial area within University Crossing. I think Mockingbird Station overshadows it.
Probably everyone focuses on Mockingbird Station Shops, but also there's a comedy club in Mockingbird Station, The Pocket Sandwich Theatre next to Jason's Deli, The Highland and Magnolia Hotels. Knife Restaurant and Nolo Grill get a lot of activity. Glencoe Park is almost always bustling with people -- especially Spring and Summer evenings. And the Highland Hotel (Palomar) is very busy. And the Katy Trail extension is getting a pedestrian overpass going over Mockingbird that will be finished at the end of 2017 connecting the train station to Katy Trail and Glencoe Park. Soon, the bridge will be more important to many than the shops.

http://www.dallascitynews.net/katy-t...gin-in-october

Old 12-30-2016, 07:06 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
B

My main burden was to highlight that little commercial area squeezed between the office buildings north, as seen as one is approaching downtown, and the buildings of Mockingbird Station on the south. I believe that commercial area formed prior to the construction of Central Expressway.

Dallas should be clobbered for demolishing that art deco factory building of Dr. Pepper. Oh well, out with the historic classic and in with the contemporary iconic. Do you know when that building was constructed?

Lower Greenville has been acknowleged as sobering up recently after construction of that Trader Joe's there really turned heads. Mockingbird Station is located south of Mockingbird Lane, but I don't view it as part of central Dallas. Do they plan on squeezing the Katy Trail through that slither of Upper Greenville running it to Park Lane somehow? I would never blemish the masterpiece of NorthPark by connecting it up to light rail, but connecting it up to downtown with a trail would be cool.

As Mockingbird Station got a cool looking signature light rail station, NorthPark got the signature part of Central Expressway built out to it. Indeed, NorthPark is the point in which the freeway elevates popping out from its submerged construction below grade..

All this effort spent isn't being acknowleged today for the tremendous acheivement it was.
....To my knowledge mockingbird station has always been North of mockingbird lane.

I really don't know what the technical boundaries are for upper Greenville but a general Dallasite would think it would be from mockingbird to Park Lane. The shops at park lane helps Upper Greenville bleed into North park Center.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
....To my knowledge mockingbird station has always been North of mockingbird lane.

I really don't know what the technical boundaries are for upper Greenville but a general Dallasite would think it would be from mockingbird to Park Lane. The shops at park lane helps Upper Greenville bleed into North park Center.
Yes. It is north. Do you know of the little commercial center I am referring to? It is between Dryer Street and SMU Boulevard between Central Expressway. There is a lot of interesting businesses located in it. This is one of the least understood retail areas in Dallas. Thanks for all the info.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Probably everyone focuses on Mockingbird Station Shops, but also there's a comedy club in Mockingbird Station, The Pocket Sandwich Theatre next to Jason's Deli, The Highland and Magnolia Hotels. Knife Restaurant and Nolo Grill get a lot of activity. Glencoe Park is almost always bustling with people -- especially Spring and Summer evenings. And the Highland Hotel (Palomar) is very busy. And the Katy Trail extension is getting a pedestrian overpass going over Mockingbird that will be finished at the end of 2017 connecting the train station to Katy Trail and Glencoe Park. Soon, the bridge will be more important to many than the shops.

Katy Trail expansions set to begin in October - Dallas City News
I think the Katy Trail is going to be huge in the future. Did you read about the planned expansion of Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek? I forgot all about that place. Turtle Creek is going uber through the roof with Crow's conversion of the old Parkland Hospital into office park and Perot's similar development along Cedar Springs. Office buildings are getting bought up and retail redeveloped up and down the Katy Trail.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
The Interurban (Texas Electric Railway) stopped running from Dallas to Denison in December, 1948.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Electric_Railway

Historically, the Greenville Avenue area north of Loop 12 was known as Vickery. Vickery had been a town that Dallas annexed in 1945. Vickery Feed Store and Deuback Skating Rink were two businesses that I remember located along Greenville north of Park Lane.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Yes, of course I remember the feed store and the skating rink. I was amused when they built all the town houses down in the creek bottom on the E. side of Greenville there because that creek always flooded every spring. I bet it still floods every spring.

And the best public swimming pool ever, at Vickery Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas