Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,941 times

Advertisements

To make the story short: I am the only one working as my wife took a year off to pursue some studies. We sold the house and live in an apartment. While we wait for a decent home to materialize, we get pregnant. Now it will be four of us, so buying a home becomes more important. However, can't buy the house we want because it is only my salary. She can only go back to work if we bring my in-laws. But can't bring the in-laws because we don't have a house (no, there is no way to fit six humans on this apartment). BLAM! Infinite loop, infinite regression!

The house we want will undoubtedly be in the 500K to 600K range (apparently homes here in Dallas have started to sweat oil, have become encrusted with gold and diamonds, etc). With my salary alone, we might be able to push 450K (I think...) If she was working, 600K would be a breeze!

No CC debt, only one car payment.

Shouldn't I be able to put 50K for a 500K home and then spend a few months of no expenditure until everything goes back to normal (i.e. she goes back to work). After putting a down payment of 50K, I would still have enough to survive for many months, even if I were to lose my job (which is unlikely at the moment).

How would you play this game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 12:04 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,405 times
If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a house you can afford on your salary alone.
Then, when your wife goes back to work, use the extra money to pay the mortgage down.

I agree. Houses here are ridiculously priced. Don't get me started...

Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 AM

769 posts, read 782,347 times
Troll alert!!!

If I was you I would just go for the $600k house. Or make that an $800k house. You can do it! You are rich with a massive $50k in the bank and super secure with one income for a family. Might as well go for that $900k house in Celina.

Hurry, those bargains will be snapped up by all these loaded Californians imported by Toyota!!!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Troll alert!!!
Hurry, those bargains will be snapped up by all these loaded Californians imported by Toyota!!!
Did I just fall for something???

Old 01-07-2017, 01:52 PM

422 posts, read 523,345 times
I think Adam was being sarcastic & suggesting that it would be very foolish to overreach when one spouse is not working and only $50K in safety-net. What if the house needs a new roof 6 months in? What if your wife or one of your kids gets sick? What if you get laid off? Also, do you have a lender that will finance a 500K house with only 10% down?

Old 01-07-2017, 02:08 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
The area is not sweating oil as there are thousands of houses in the $300-350k range. There is no need for you to "have to" go up to the $500k range. Sounds like you're trying to "keep up with the Jones's" out of your league.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
North Garland.

East Plano.

Wylie.

Central-East Richardson.

Lake Highlands.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
I think Adam was being sarcastic & suggesting that it would be very foolish to overreach when one spouse is not working and only $50K in safety-net. What if the house needs a new roof 6 months in? What if your wife or one of your kids gets sick? What if you get laid off? Also, do you have a lender that will finance a 500K house with only 10% down?
I think we read two different OP's. OP said that after $50k down, he "would still have enough [savings] to last for many months, even if he lost his job."

Old 01-07-2017, 03:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamantiumBoy View Post
To make the story short: I am the only one working as my wife took a year off to pursue some studies. We sold the house and live in an apartment. While we wait for a decent home to materialize, we get pregnant. Now it will be four of us, so buying a home becomes more important. However, can't buy the house we want because it is only my salary. She can only go back to work if we bring my in-laws. But can't bring the in-laws because we don't have a house (no, there is no way to fit six humans on this apartment). BLAM! Infinite loop, infinite regression!

The house we want will undoubtedly be in the 500K to 600K range (apparently homes here in Dallas have started to sweat oil, have become encrusted with gold and diamonds, etc). With my salary alone, we might be able to push 450K (I think...) If she was working, 600K would be a breeze!

No CC debt, only one car payment.

Shouldn't I be able to put 50K for a 500K home and then spend a few months of no expenditure until everything goes back to normal (i.e. she goes back to work). After putting a down payment of 50K, I would still have enough to survive for many months, even if I were to lose my job (which is unlikely at the moment).

How would you play this game?
Unless the school your wife enrolled in is Med school or a MBA where she has a job offer upon degree, I would probably just buy the max home you can afford on your budget. There are very few places in DFW where $450k doesn't buy you a very nice home zoned to great public schools. IMO, a family with two professional incomes should buy a home that doesn't rely on both incomes to pay the bills- too many long-term risk factors for most dual income situations (layoffs, disability, need to reduce hours to care for aging parents, etc.) A 30 year loan is a long time to bet that both will be continuously employed.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,237,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would probably just buy the max home you can afford on your budget. There are very few places in DFW where $450k doesn't buy you a very nice home zoned to great public schools. IMO, a family with two professional incomes should buy a home that doesn't rely on both incomes to pay the bills- too many long-term risk factors for most dual income situations (layoffs, disability, need to reduce hours to care for aging parents, etc.) A 30 year loan is a long time to bet that both will be continuously employed.
I agree with this sentiment. My wife is now a SAHM. She'll go back to work in a few years, and when she does it will be nice to have the extra income, but that was precisely why we bought a home and calculated our budget based on my salary alone... even when she was still working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas