Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM

26 posts, read 42,277 times

Advertisements

After moving from east coast and renting for the last year in Coppell, we have decided to buy a house here. Need to find a realtor, and am open to specific recommendations, but have a more general question:

As a buyer, would you rather have a very experienced/successful agent (who possibly has several other clients to juggle), or a newer agent who would be more likely to be more available. Normally I'd prefer the more experienced agent, but I've heard Coppell is super competitive and homes move fast due to low inventory, (our budget is 450-600), so thinking realtor availability to see homes whenever we request may be # 1 factor to consider.

Further complicating matters, 1 of the agents I found online, has been the listing agent on the sell side for several recent properties that came on realtor.com. I know its legal for them to represent both but would not be super comfortable with that arrangement but looking for feedback here if anyones been through that.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
You want the experienced agent in a hyper-competitive market, not the newbie. Established, connected agents will have more feelers out on "coming soon" listings which is key to finding a home- being first to know about it! They also will have tons of former clients and they can often persuade clients to list their homes if they have toe perfect, qualified buyer lined up.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
We have had good luck dealing directly with the listing agent. That double commission is a strong motivating factor and we have had them get things done that one would not normally expect.

Remember, even when you have a "buyer's agent", YOU are responsible for watching out for your own interests.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Talk to the agent and if you're not comfortable handling both sides just tell them. They can pass you off to a fellow agent if the need arises.

The odds of you buying their listing is not that great.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Remember, even when you have a "buyer's agent", YOU are responsible for watching out for your own interests.
Not true if you find a good agent who does their job correctly. It's a team job.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:03 AM

31 posts, read 41,075 times
If you can find an agent which comes recommended by a friend/colleague/acquaintance, that could give you an idea of what to expect.

Do note that in a very competitive environment, it will have to be you doing the search. An agent will be busy helping all of their other clients and won't be able to help you with a continuous search like the one you may need.

For example (this may be my current obsession, of course), I sit all day long pressing the refresh button on all of my search engines and as soon as a house that I like pops up, I tell my agent about it. I don't think there is a single agent on this planet which would go to such resorts, but we can. Granted that checking every 20 minutes may be overkill, as buying a house is not like buying from eBay. But some houses go quick...

Old 01-13-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avayan View Post
For example (this may be my current obsession, of course), I sit all day long pressing the refresh button on all of my search engines and as soon as a house that I like pops up, I tell my agent about it. I don't think there is a single agent on this planet which would go to such resorts, but we can. Granted that checking every 20 minutes may be overkill, as buying a house is not like buying from eBay. But some houses go quick...
Even faster would be to have your agent set you up to receive a Listing Notice by email immediately when they go into the MLS system.

And you are right. No agent will look at every listing immediately that goes into the system like you will. That's where working as a team is the best approach.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:35 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Don't forget that sitting on your butt looking at a computer screen is not a substitute for driving the neighborhood.

The last house we bought, the agent we had been working with had just told us "nothing for sale in that neighborhood". We went for a Sunday drive after breakfast, saw a brand new "for sale" sign. Called the agent we had been working with (without any kind of contract, let me assure you - as a buyer, I am not going to sign any kind of exclusive contract with any real estate agent on the buyer's side, never have, never will). "Nope, nothing new over there."

Fine, we called the listing agent, saw the house that afternoon, made an offer on the spot; she asked us "did we want another agent to represent us?" (as she's required to do). We thought about it a few seconds; we knew that we were making a fair offer; knew from walking around the house what the house was; knew that in the end we were responsible for our own financial decisions. We told the listing agent we didn't see the need to insert another person into the process. With the double commission in play, she made sure our offer got accepted and that the owner made several concessions of value.

An earlier house purchase, we bought from a by-owner. Went to a listed house, saw the by-owner house down the street, memorized the phone number, went home, called the owner. Would not have seen that house sitting on our butts looking at a computer screen.

It is not always possible to supplement computerized search with driving the neighborhood, but if you can, it can be a big help.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 AM

31 posts, read 41,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't forget that sitting on your butt looking at a computer screen is not a substitute for driving the neighborhood.
Actually, this is quite the accurate statement! Every week I drive through my favorite neighborhoods at least twice. It is usually my lunch outing. Every now and then I see signs of properties which are basically being listed as I am driving through (the coincidence is beyond insane!).

But the most intriguing ones are those who have a "Coming Soon" sign. The vast majority of times they will not show up in the Search Engines.

Of course I can't drive through all the areas I could consider, but seeing the areas does give some sort of a feel of what would it be to live there. It is a WIN-WIN situation.

BTW, you do not need to be sitting on your butt to check the Search Engines. Thanks to technology and tablets, you can also be lying in bed ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: