Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:58 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I will never be able to understand the opposition to school uniforms. The only reason I can see with even a shred of validity would be people whose religious beliefs dictate that girls wear a skirt rather than pants, in which case I am POSITIVE there would be a school-approved workaround.

Other than that I think parents are misapplying their ideas to their kids. No, wearing the same clothes as everyone else will not "stifle your child's individuality". If they have so little individual personality that it can be stifled by wearing a school uniform 8 hors a day, then you've got far more important work to do with them than fighting with their school about uniforms.

And for that matter, have you looked at what kids wear when uniforms aren't required? Guess what? THEY ALL DRESS ALIKE. Kids are the most rigid section of our society in the way they demand total compliance to their norms. Yep, all the non-confirmist teenagers make very very sure to be non-confirmist in exactly the same way as all their friends.
Exactly^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 08:07 AM

56 posts, read 61,748 times
Quote:
I will never be able to understand the opposition to school uniforms. The only reason I can see with even a shred of validity would be people whose religious beliefs dictate that girls wear a skirt rather than pants, in which case I am POSITIVE there would be a school-approved workaround.

Other than that I think parents are misapplying their ideas to their kids. No, wearing the same clothes as everyone else will not "stifle your child's individuality". If they have so little individual personality that it can be stifled by wearing a school uniform 8 hors a day, then you've got far more important work to do with them than fighting with their school about uniforms.

And for that matter, have you looked at what kids wear when uniforms aren't required? Guess what? THEY ALL DRESS ALIKE. Kids are the most rigid section of our society in the way they demand total compliance to their norms. Yep, all the non-confirmist teenagers make very very sure to be non-confirmist in exactly the same way as all their friends.

Not sure why you are replying to my statement.

Sounds like you should reply to the OP.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:56 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryPlaza View Post
Not sure why you are replying to my statement.

Sounds like you should reply to the OP.
A reply can signify agreement, as well as disagreement.

I suppose I should have either not had the quotation of your post at the top, or written something like "I agree.."

Can you ever forgive me?

Old 10-25-2019, 10:38 AM

56 posts, read 61,748 times
Quote:
A reply can signify agreement, as well as disagreement.

I suppose I should have either not had the quotation of your post at the top, or written something like "I agree.."

Can you ever forgive me?

You don't even have to ask.. Of course you are forgiven!

Old 10-26-2019, 04:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
I oppose school uniforms. I went to some private schools during the K-12 years that had uniforms. I felt like a prisoner.

A dress code with some restricted items is acceptable and preparation for many occupations in the future. Turning children into prisoners with clothes they don't want to wear is cruelty.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I went to a private with no uniforms.
Then two publics without uniform. The first public in Cali, where there literally was NO DRESS CODE.
The second public was Plano - no uniform, but pretty strict dress code.
Both schools and systems highly ranked.

As those who know me are aware of my great hatred for disruptive school environments. I HATED disruption when I was a kid.
That Cali school where people would wear mohawks and tank tops and beer ad shirts...omg.
The difference between that environment and the strict dress code environment was night and day.

So I'll take strict dress codes or uniforms any day over the right to 'express yourself' with clothes.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:29 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I oppose school uniforms. I went to some private schools during the K-12 years that had uniforms. I felt like a prisoner.

A dress code with some restricted items is acceptable and preparation for many occupations in the future. Turning children into prisoners with clothes they don't want to wear is cruelty.
Please tell me this is satire?

Old 10-27-2019, 07:08 PM

630 posts, read 657,568 times
LOL

only in America... something as dull as school uniforms becomes a cultural war issue.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

And here we see a parent's psychological issues making them believe that what they experienced is what their children, and other people's children, will experience.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
And here we see a parent's psychological issues making them believe that what they experienced is what their children, and other people's children, will experience.
Ha. I was thinking that if RJ is indeed being serious, professional help is probably recommended to figure out why he is projecting and blaming the uniform for something else in his childhood that is more likely to be the cause of these negative feelings. I dislike uniforms a lot. I think they are somewhat pretentious and/or used because administrators are too lazy to enforce a reasonable dress code. I grew up in public school with a well enforced dress code and it really wasn’t all that hard. But I also don’t think they’re harming anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas