Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 02:01 PM

185 posts, read 169,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPizza View Post
Does anyone have any insight into attending DISD from a different school district? We're moving into HPISD but there is no PK vacancies anywhere so we're making a longshot application to Dealy Montessori. Do we need to pay tuition? Do we need to re-apply each year?
You have an extremely slim chance of getting into Dealey. You can put in an application and go to their "Screening" (which is a joke as it's a group thing and only takes about 15 minutes). If your child gets an 80% or up on that screening they go into a lottery where they will compete with hundreds for about three available spots for your circumstance. The fact that they give sibling applications a lower bar to hurdle also makes getting into this school difficult.

You could try DISD Mata Montessori if you are able to make that drive. I hear it's easier to get into that school because of less applicants due to location.

I wouldn't fret a 2nd tier private preschool if it comes down to that. As long as your child tests well for your private K, and you put in a strong application, etc. you have a shot of getting in. There's actually a good bit of turnover from pre-K to K and there's also the handful pre-k kids who move up into Primer rather than K, creating a few open spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 06:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
You have an extremely slim chance of getting into Dealey. You can put in an application and go to their "Screening" (which is a joke as it's a group thing and only takes about 15 minutes). If your child gets an 80% or up on that screening they go into a lottery where they will compete with hundreds for about three available spots for your circumstance. The fact that they give sibling applications a lower bar to hurdle also makes getting into this school difficult.

You could try DISD Mata Montessori if you are able to make that drive. I hear it's easier to get into that school because of less applicants due to location.

I wouldn't fret a 2nd tier private preschool if it comes down to that. As long as your child tests well for your private K, and you put in a strong application, etc. you have a shot of getting in. There's actually a good bit of turnover from pre-K to K and there's also the handful pre-k kids who move up into Primer rather than K, creating a few open spots.
No, there are literally zero spots for out of district kids at Dealey. The kids who are there out of district lived in DISD when they applied (or their parents rented a cheap apartment in district to use as the address). They subsequently moved out of district but were allowed to remain. I personally would kick them out as soon as they leave district but I don't get to set policy.

Mata doesn't even have space for kids from outside the Woodrow feeder pattern because it is so popular, unless you happened to be well below poverty level as the school attempts to create socioeconomic diversity. So you have literally no shot there either.

Just do private and be done with it. There's no shame in buying into HPISD but don't try to keep that backup and steal a magnet school spot from a deserving kid living in DISD boundaries. It's so selfish I don't even know where to begin. How many kids from DISD will you advocate that HP should take?

Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
If you wanted your kids to go to those DISD schools you should have moved into their attendance areas. You have no right to spots in them if you aren't.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 PM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
If you wanted your kids to go to those DISD schools you should have moved into their attendance areas. You have no right to spots in them if you aren't.
FWIIW - DISD accepts a good number of out of district kids into its magnets and academies.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
FWIIW - DISD accepts a good number of out of district kids into its magnets and academies.
With some controversy of course.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
With some controversy of course.
No question about that.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I can tell you have not spent much time in the Park Cities if you think the offspring there lack motivation. My graduating class boasts two acclaimed chefs, a World Series Championship pitcher, an Emmy winner, someone who holds a major patent, and a crap ton of doctors, lawyers, and other professional positions requiring motivation, hard work, and brains to succeed.
Yeah but youre like an adult. These younguns aren't even in first grade yet and you can tell they're gonna be slackers.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPizza View Post
Yeah some of the private pre-Ks said not to bother applying, we'd be wasting our app fee. Others were happy to take our money only to tell us there was no chance after handing in the application.

In the near term I need pre-K in the fall. (Really I need PK3 in March but that sounds like a tall order for every school.) Dealy sounded like a possibility based on the comments from neighbors and our broker, worth a shot. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the secular and more a diverse environment.

In the long term I'm interested (curious) about DISD magnets. It's something I understand from growing up in a large city. The way they market themselves as the ultimate college application machine is attractive.
I understand now. For pre-k, what we used to call nursery school, my kid attended Preston Hollow Presby. It was wonderful (and we aren't a religious family). She attended Parents Day Out there, also wonderful, so that probably helped place her in the Pre-K program. Others have mentioned UP Methodist having openings. Wanting diversity puts you in a tough place. DISD (not the magnets) only offers preschool for certain kids and my kid didn't fall into those categories, I would have loved for her to attend preschool at our neighborhood school where she eventually attended kindergarten. Dealey is a fabulous school but very difficult to get into, especially for someone out of district.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
The DISD can choose to admit out of district students but those students have no right to those spots. I also wouldn't blame the district if they charged tuition to the parents of those students that's at least equal to the amount they would have paid in taxes if they had lived in the district. After all, that's a spot that could have gone to a student whose parents did pay taxes.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:16 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
The DISD can choose to admit out of district students but those students have no right to those spots. I also wouldn't blame the district if they charged tuition to the parents of those students that's at least equal to the amount they would have paid in taxes if they had lived in the district. After all, that's a spot that could have gone to a student whose parents did pay taxes.

Isn't that the point of contention with the robin hood school tax system? The wealthier tax districts (HPISD) are already sending tax revenue to DISD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas