Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
121 isn't Dallas, though.
They aren't calling it "Midtown Dallas", they are calling it "Midtown". Blame the NCTCOG, city of Dallas et cetera government for there being poor distinctions between the various cities in DFW, not the developers or marketers for reacting to it.

And i didn't even mention 35E- east and 35W! I'm just saying that confusing street naming has been a DFW thing for a long time. Or DFW Airport, where the only land that is part of the city of Dallas is the land under the airport - it shares no other borders with the city of Dallas.

BTW, from the end of Dallas city proper, it is about 8 miles to 121. From the end of Dallas it is also about 8 miles to ValleyView/Midtown. So Dallas goes a lot closer to 121 than you might think. So "Midtown", since is 8 miles from the northern border of Dallas makes more sense than the old guard might think.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 02-03-2017 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 11:19 AM

577 posts, read 456,801 times
I agree it's a silly name, but it's not hard to figure out the logic behind it. While Midtown is not in between Uptown and Downtown, I would say that the Valley View is right about smack dab in the middle of our sprawled out metroplex. If you look at DFW as a whole, Midtown is close to the center.

Keep in mind there is a huge portion of the population that stays in the suburbs and doesn't really know much about Downtown Dallas or the surrounding neighborhoods. I believe the "Midtown" name is marketed towards them.

Plus, with the massive success that Uptown has seen, can you really blame them for wanting to cash in on the name?

Old 02-08-2017, 12:55 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I agree it's a silly name, but it's not hard to figure out the logic behind it. While Midtown is not in between Uptown and Downtown, I would say that the Valley View is right about smack dab in the middle of our sprawled out metroplex. If you look at DFW as a whole, Midtown is close to the center.

Keep in mind there is a huge portion of the population that stays in the suburbs and doesn't really know much about Downtown Dallas or the surrounding neighborhoods. I believe the "Midtown" name is marketed towards them.

Plus, with the massive success that Uptown has seen, can you really blame them for wanting to cash in on the name?
I get it. Really. Where I get confused is the "Valley View" thing being called "Midtown", and as far as I can tell they've only started taping off the mall for destruction, while in "Midtown Park" (east of Central on Meadow) the old apartments have been razed and the actual building is happening at an incredible rate. If posters read my original post maybe y'all will see where I'm coming from?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
all of Dallas' traditional names are godawful because they are totally attached to horrible racism at worst or a natural feature that was bulldozed to nothing at best.
Let me guess.......you also think WHITE Rock Lake, WHITE Settlement, The WHITE House and anything with the word WHITE are racist huh?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
Let me guess.......you also think WHITE Rock Lake, WHITE Settlement, The WHITE House and anything with the word WHITE are racist huh?
Yes. You left out White Castle. HINT for the actual curious: He left some of the historical cities out.

And I thought White Settlement was named after some family named the Whites, but according to wikipedia, it was actually next to an Comanche indian settlement, so they named it 'white settlement to distinguish from the comanchee settlement. So that's kind of racist.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 02-17-2017 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 03:11 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yes. You left out White Castle. HINT for the actual curious: He left some of the historical cities out.

And I thought White Settlement was named after some family named the Whites, but according to wikipedia, it was actually next to an Comanche indian settlement, so they named it 'white settlement to distinguish from the comanchee settlement. So that's kind of racist.
I always made the same assumption about the name (that it was a family name) but you are correct. White Settlement is also home to a large amount of Irish Travellers. I'm fascinated by that ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: