Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:57 AM

948 posts, read 1,140,218 times

Advertisements

Does local car dealers communicate each other about their clients in case they try to negotiate better rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 09:07 AM

419 posts, read 553,443 times
They don't seem to but it might be brand specific. The last time we were car shopping we had dealerships from the same company trying to undercut each other. Even when we explained we were already working with someone at the same company at another location. All they wanted was to steal the business for themselves. With a different vehicle purchase, one dealership went as far as to say another (same brand) was being dishonest with the prices it quoted me and I shouldn't trust them. We ended up at the "low ball" place, purchased with no issues and I saved $4k. It's worth your time to shop around.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
They don't seem to but it might be brand specific. The last time we were car shopping we had dealerships from the same company trying to undercut each other. Even when we explained we were already working with someone at the same company at another location. All they wanted was to steal the business for themselves. With a different vehicle purchase, one dealership went as far as to say another (same brand) was being dishonest with the prices it quoted me and I shouldn't trust them. We ended up at the "low ball" place, purchased with no issues and I saved $4k. It's worth your time to shop around.
Thanks for the response keribeth. I did shop around and these folks tried a 'bait n switch' on me when I walked into the dealership. I declined their offer but they could care less about their initial offers through phone. Things got escalated to the manager to the point that I walked out of the dealership. Now they know I am going with competitor, just curious if they will tip them and screw it up for me.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thanks for the response keribeth. I did shop around and these folks tried a 'bait n switch' on me when I walked into the dealership. I declined their offer but they could care less about their initial offers through phone. Things got escalated to the manager to the point that I walked out of the dealership. Now they know I am going with competitor, just curious if they will tip them and screw it up for me.
Look...at the end of the day, they want to sell a car. You want to buy a car. Don't feel powerless in the dealership because you do have power. You can get up and walk away at any time if you don't feel like you're getting what you want. They don't HAVE to sell you a car, but conversely you don't have to BUY one from them either.

Don't give them all of your power.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Look...at the end of the day, they want to sell a car. You want to buy a car. Don't feel powerless in the dealership because you do have power. You can get up and walk away at any time if you don't feel like you're getting what you want. They don't HAVE to sell you a car, but conversely you don't have to BUY one from them either.

Don't give them all of your power.
Thanks BigDGeek. I know and that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately the model I have been looking was limited stock and had to be shipped from another city. During the argument, the manager (or whoever he was) threatened me by saying they already 'secured'(reserved) the last available unit from the other city and I have no choice but go through them to buy it. Not sure if he was bluffing or not, turned out the unit is 'no longer available' when the competing dealership looked it up though they initially agreed they could get it shipped for me the previous day. I wonder if they would really go to the extent to block a unit to prevent a client from purchasing it through competitor.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Thanks BigDGeek. I know and that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately the model I have been looking was limited stock and had to be shipped from another city. During the argument, the manager (or whoever he was) threatened me by saying they already 'secured'(reserved) the last available unit from the other city and I have no choice but go through them to buy it. Not sure if he was bluffing or not, turned out the unit is 'no longer available' when the competing dealership looked it up though they initially agreed they could get it shipped for me the previous day. I wonder if they would really go to the extent to block a unit to prevent a client from purchasing it through competitor.
That sounds absurd, honestly.

Pro-tip, though...don't get into arguments at the dealership. This is business, both for them and for you. You don't have a "relationship" with your dealer, they're not your friend, you're not going to be on each others' Christmas card lists, etc. You're there to buy a car. They're there to sell you a car. Either they have the car or they don't. Either they can get the car or they can't. Simple as that.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That sounds absurd, honestly.

Pro-tip, though...don't get into arguments at the dealership. This is business, both for them and for you. You don't have a "relationship" with your dealer, they're not your friend, you're not going to be on each others' Christmas card lists, etc. You're there to buy a car. They're there to sell you a car. Either they have the car or they don't. Either they can get the car or they can't. Simple as that.
Totally agreed. I should have never went there at the first place as the deal was 'Too good to be true'.

The reason I got upset is because I asked the sales person over phone repeatedly if she is 100% sure about the numbers she is offering which the competitors said impossible. She kept saying YES and once I walked in, may be her boss rejected it or whatever, that she switched her story saying 'either take it or go somewhere else'. I waited for her an hour as well since she was servicing another client when I walked in. On bringing this up to the manager, his response was 'we INVESTED two hours in you and not that you wasted two hours'. Man... These folks stick together regardless of their screw up.

I figured it was waste of time arguing with them that I thanked the manager for his time and shook his hand, asked his name, immediately he covered his name tag. Obviously, he didn't want anymore publicity of the mess.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:59 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Totally agreed. I should have never went there at the first place as the deal was 'Too good to be true'.

The reason I got upset is because I asked the sales person over phone repeatedly if she is 100% sure about the numbers she is offering which the competitors said impossible. She kept saying YES and once I walked in, may be her boss rejected it or whatever, that she switched her story saying 'either take it or go somewhere else'. I waited for her an hour as well since she was servicing another client when I walked in. On bringing this up to the manager, his response was 'we INVESTED two hours in you and not that you wasted two hours'. Man... These folks stick together regardless of their screw up.

I figured it was waste of time arguing with them that I thanked the manager for his time and shook his hand, asked his name, immediately he covered his name tag. Obviously, he didn't want anymore publicity of the mess.
I guarantee you the first set of bad numbers from the sales gal were not mistaken. They used bogus numbers to get you in the door, once in the door the games began. Dealers have honed their craft over decades of game playing. As BigDGeek noted you have the money and the guy/gal with the money should always be in charge. Somehow most people cede all of this advantage when car shopping.

Next time you do this fall in love with the deal first and the car second. For example my wife is driving a Lexus now - not her top choice. However, Lexus was offering 0% (well something like 0.005% APR) one pay lease deals. Much of the year one make or another is going to be making good deals on some fraction of their cars look for those deals.

I don't know you that well but if you are hung up on the Audi Q5 3.0 turbo don't be. My mom had one, my wife just traded a Q5 2.0 turbo and for virtually all things that matter the 2.0 car is just better, especially the ride in town. If the Audi people really crossed the line go look at BMW, Jeep (I'm very biased toward Jeeps BTW), the Ford Explorer etc.

If your hot button is power look at the Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7L Hemi. It'll run all kinds of circles around the 3.0T Audi, tow about twice as much and have much better resale value.

Good luck.

BTW - I have an occasional beer with a guy who owns an Audi dealership in the mid-cities, if you want me to get a name for you I'd be happy to do so.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I guarantee you the first set of bad numbers from the sales gal were not mistaken. They used bogus numbers to get you in the door, once in the door the games began. Dealers have honed their craft over decades of game playing. As BigDGeek noted you have the money and the guy/gal with the money should always be in charge. Somehow most people cede all of this advantage when car shopping.

Next time you do this fall in love with the deal first and the car second. For example my wife is driving a Lexus now - not her top choice. However, Lexus was offering 0% (well something like 0.005% APR) one pay lease deals. Much of the year one make or another is going to be making good deals on some fraction of their cars look for those deals.

I don't know you that well but if you are hung up on the Audi Q5 3.0 turbo don't be. My mom had one, my wife just traded a Q5 2.0 turbo and for virtually all things that matter the 2.0 car is just better, especially the ride in town. If the Audi people really crossed the line go look at BMW, Jeep (I'm very biased toward Jeeps BTW), the Ford Explorer etc.

If your hot button is power look at the Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7L Hemi. It'll run all kinds of circles around the 3.0T Audi, tow about twice as much and have much better resale value.

Good luck.

BTW - I have an occasional beer with a guy who owns an Audi dealership in the mid-cities, if you want me to get a name for you I'd be happy to do so.
Thanks EDS. I am no longer looking for 3.0 but 2.0. Already paid the dealer 1k deposit to start searching for my custom built which will be deducted from vehicle price. But now they are saying they found one in Miami and costs 1k shipping. I am not sure if I should spent the money on a diff color than shipping charge. Again they will be charging flat destination fees ($950) anyways, hence shouldn't it be used for shipping and not double charge me?

Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Thanks EDS. I am no longer looking for 3.0 but 2.0. Already paid the dealer 1k deposit to start searching for my custom built which will be deducted from vehicle price. But now they are saying they found one in Miami and costs 1k shipping. I am not sure if I should spent the money on a diff color than shipping charge. Again they will be charging flat destination fees ($950) anyways, hence shouldn't it be used for shipping and not double charge me?
OK good move on the 2.0 over the 3.0. It's my understanding that most dealers will bring in a car from say within a 200 mile circle gratis or close. From Miami they'd have to put the car on a car hauler and ship it. That costs real money that they are not going to absorb.

If you don't mind the prying what special items do you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas