Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 07:38 AM

188 posts, read 596,649 times

Advertisements

Neighbor has a FL plate vehicle that most likely does not have a muffler. The idle noise is quite loud, occasionally waking me up from sleep. I know missing muffler is illegal in both Texas and Florida. But how would it get enforced on an out of state vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:43 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
Neighbor has a FL plate vehicle that most likely does not have a muffler. The idle noise is quite loud, occasionally waking me up from sleep. I know missing muffler is illegal in both Texas and Florida. But how would it get enforced on an out of state vehicle?
It sounds like you should talk to the neighbor first.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:50 AM

188 posts, read 596,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It sounds like you should talk to the neighbor first.
Does that ever work well for you?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
If you have an HOA they might have rules about things like that. Just report it to the HOA (if applicable) and to the police (at a non-emergency number). You should check your city codes as well; they might be violating a noise ordinance.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 AM

770 posts, read 931,810 times
Quote:
Check your city's government website. Most of them have a way to report violations online. I had a neighbor who parked a non running car in front of their house for months. Tires kept going flat, engine was shot, etc. Several neighbors reported it, cops eventually came by and gave them a warning to have it removed, then they parked it in their driveway, which took it out of the jurisdiction of the police, since their driveway is private property.

Still didn't run of course, and it was visible from the street. So then the HOA was notified. Eventually, they got rid of the car when the HOA began fining them (bylaws state non running/non registered cars cannot be parked in the driveway, they must be out of view.)

Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
Quote:
Does that ever work well for you?
I guess it depends on the situation. I've had the call the police on neighbors, but I always try to speak with them first out of courtesy.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:23 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,083 times
Since the truck is out of state the police will check the owner's permanent residence. If owner lives in Texas now then they will have to register in TX and get their vehicle inspected. If the truck does not have a muffler then it will fail until it is fixed.

Note that it may actually have a muffler since many people put after market exhaust with loud mufflers on their trucks because they like the sound. If it has passed inspection there is probably little the police will do. Texas does not have a decibel threshold.

Quote:
Under the Texas Transportation Code, Section 20.15, Texas requires that every motor vehicle be equipped with a muffler, in constant operation, at all times. The muffler must be for the reduction of noise. The muffler must be intact, in condition similar to when new; it cannot have been patched or repaired. Note that exhaust sound decibels are not checked during exhaust inspections so long as the exhaust is not leaking or incomplete.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,483,869 times
To report a smoking vehicle Statewide visit the Smoking Vehicle Program or call toll free (800) 453-SMOG (7664)
To report a smoking vehicle in North Central Texas visit North Central Texas Regional Smoking Vehicle Program (RSVP) or call #SMOKE (#76653) from your wireless phone or (817) 704-2522 from a land line phone.

Don’t Choke, Call #SMOKE

Old 02-09-2017, 10:22 AM

948 posts, read 1,138,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I guess it depends on the situation. I've had the call the police on neighbors, but I always try to speak with them first out of courtesy.
Then they know you are the snitch and pissed off with you for rest of the time you live there.

I am dealing with similar issues. My neighbor right across the street has two kids(in their mid 20s) living with parents. Has two Dodge truck parked in the curb side 24/7 in front of their entrance door, their garage is on the back. So the truck is always there and it's a hassle for me when I pull in/pull out my car from the drive way to be careful not to hit their over sized truck. Some times they park right across my drive way makes it even harder at night time.

And when these kids have visitors, there is another 3-4 cars taking up space on both sides of the road. Been going on for the past 2 years, I was trying to be nice with them, but it's common courtesy not to cause inconvenience to your neighbors, but they care less. I even found the kids smoking/drinking beer on their car parked in the curb, some of them sitting on the curb and drinkinga t night time after 10pm. Few months later when we were cleaning up the bushes in our front yard, found bunch of empty beer bottles.

I heard it's violation to park cars on both sides in case of a fire emergency since the road hardly accommodates two vehicles side by side. During Summer time, these folks throw pool party and there is like 10 cars in front of my house taking up the entire road space.

I can't wait for these guys to move out.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 764 times
Florida has extremely lax emissions requirements compared to other states. People will register their vehicle to a valid Florida address and have their mail forwarded to themselves to avoid TX state inspection. Not sure there is much you can do about it but good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas