Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:55 AM

24 posts, read 38,930 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are relocating to Dallas in a few months. Employment is in Addison. We have two school aged kids so schools are of most importance. Also important is commute time (within 20 min) and charm of area/neighborhood (not a big fan of cookie cutter homes).

Our budget is around $500-600 K.
What are your suggestions about neighborhoods that meet those criteria?

We have looked at Richardson (JJPearce feeder) and Plano mainly. We have toured some schools. Love Prairie Creek and Haun elementary. So, subsequently, we have looked at Prairie Creek neighborhood in Richardson and Deerfield in Plano. There aren't may homes on the Market in those locations though.

What are your thoughts about those two areas? Where else should we look?

Appreciate your advice in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 06:20 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I think you have narrowed it down very well. I also like Canyon Creek in Richardson.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:54 PM

48 posts, read 74,885 times
There are more areas of Plano that would meet your criteria, including some that would be a shorter drive than Deerfield. I'd look in the Barksdale, Brinker, & Centennial school zones.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Your best bets are going to be Canyon and Prairie Creek in Richardson. That 20 minute commute time is going to strike off alot of choices.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Your best bets are going to be Canyon and Prairie Creek in Richardson. That 20 minute commute time is going to strike off alot of choices.
I agree. OP, if you live north of Bush or east of 75, your commute will be over 20 minutes. Plus, Richardson is fantastic so no need to go further out!

Old 02-11-2017, 04:18 AM

436 posts, read 579,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAA View Post
Hello all,

We are relocating to Dallas in a few months. Employment is in Addison. We have two school aged kids so schools are of most importance. Also important is commute time (within 20 min) and charm of area/neighborhood (not a big fan of cookie cutter homes).

Our budget is around $500-600 K.
What are your suggestions about neighborhoods that meet those criteria?

We have looked at Richardson (JJPearce feeder) and Plano mainly. We have toured some schools. Love Prairie Creek and Haun elementary. So, subsequently, we have looked at Prairie Creek neighborhood in Richardson and Deerfield in Plano. There aren't may homes on the Market in those locations though.

What are your thoughts about those two areas? Where else should we look?

Appreciate your advice in advance!
Look at 75252, Dallas address, West Plano school district, not a cookie cutter neighborhood, specifically the north west corner of Preston and Frankford.

75252 Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Also check out 75287.

Page 2 | 75287 Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Both zip codes close to Addison and have some very beautiful neighborhoods with huge trees.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:40 AM

208 posts, read 335,886 times
How about RISD zoned to Pearce west of Prairie Creek - Elementary names are Mohawk (75080), Bowie, and Brentfield (75248).

I drive from right near JJP to Midway/Addison about 8am each day and it takes me 20 min in traffic and 15 min mid afternoon.

You could find a nicely redone 4 bed/3 bath home in your budget in these areas.

My niece is at Haun and they love it but I think that might be longer than 20 minute commute in rush hour.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:56 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
You seem to be looking in the right areas. There are other places you could consider, but they are further away and don't really buy you anything in cheaper housing or better schools, so I don't see the point

Old 02-11-2017, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 29,095 times
Why not look in Prestonwood and Brentfield zoned areas of Richardson. Less than 10 minutes to Addison

Old 02-12-2017, 01:52 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesday2 View Post
How about RISD zoned to Pearce west of Prairie Creek - Elementary names are Mohawk (75080), Bowie, and Brentfield (75248).

+1 to the above. I've browsed listings in this area for a while (as well as Canyon/Prairie Creek) and based on that my amateur notes are:

The Brentfield area has among the largest selection of houses listed, as well as some of the highest-end houses (renovated and refinished). Plus, being on the west side there (of the Pearce zone), you are even closer to Addison.

The Creeks are amazing but they are small in area, and super-hot. Frequently there will be few or no listings there in MLS. A friend moved there (CC), and he says that virtually all the sales take place through word-of-mouth and connections before hitting MLS. I don't know how true that is, but other "hot" areas in Dallas have a similar reputation. So -- it might be more frustrating to search here.

Just my two cents though. I don't have actual first-hand experience looking there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas