Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 05:49 AM

4 posts, read 3,931 times

Advertisements

I am a 27 yo female currently living in North Carolina, but moving to the DFW area this summer. I will be working in Plano right next to the Shops at Legacy. I want to purchase a townhome/single family home, but I am not too sure about the different areas/communities nearby my workplace. I've spoken to a few realtors that have mentioned Plano, Frisco, Mckinney, The Colony, etc, but I do not know the difference between any of them.

I want to be within a 20 minute commute (with traffic) to work. Can anyone recommend a few townhome communities and/or single family communities within a 20 minute radius of the Legacy area? My budget is around $275,000 (2 bedroom / 2.5 bath).

I have been looking online at a few new construction homese in the Paloma Creek and Hidden Cove communities, but just by looking on Google maps they seem kind of out there. So, if anyone else can provide some recommendations that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:21 AM

11 posts, read 22,292 times
I know of a few townhome complexes near where I live that may meet your budget. I do not know much about the builder, but look at C.B. Jeni townhomes in McKinney. This should be a close enough drive to Legacy.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
Are you dead-set on new construction? You could probably find a small, older home in Plano or The Colony for that price. I'm seeing some around Arbor Hills Nature Preserve and some others around Hedcoxe/Coit and SE of Legacy/Coit. There are some in The Colony but I'd look as close to 121 as you can because traffic does get backed up in that area.

I doubt Paloma Creek will be within your 20 minute commute, even if you take DNT (which is a tollroad). It's 7 miles alone from the neighborhood entrance to 380/DNT, which Google is saying takes 13 minutes right now. My husband drives 380 daily and it's a beating.

Hidden Cove will be the same. It's 6.5 miles from Stonebrook/DNT and at that point it might make more sense to just head south on 423, except for the fact that 423 is a surface road with lights so it will take a while. Construction will probably still be going on when you move here too. 423 is a nightmare right now.

In general, estimate 2 minutes per mile. So you don't want to be more than 10 miles or so out, and even that might be pushing your commute. If you go any further out than that you want to live extremely close to either DNT or 121, depending on the location. Those are both tollroads, so keep that extra cost in mind if you decide to go that route.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:41 AM

427 posts, read 494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeintexas View Post
I am a 27 yo female currently living in North Carolina, but moving to the DFW area this summer. I will be working in Plano right next to the Shops at Legacy. I want to purchase a townhome/single family home, but I am not too sure about the different areas/communities nearby my workplace. I've spoken to a few realtors that have mentioned Plano, Frisco, Mckinney, The Colony, etc, but I do not know the difference between any of them.

I want to be within a 20 minute commute (with traffic) to work. Can anyone recommend a few townhome communities and/or single family communities within a 20 minute radius of the Legacy area? My budget is around $275,000 (2 bedroom / 2.5 bath).

I have been looking online at a few new construction homese in the Paloma Creek and Hidden Cove communities, but just by looking on Google maps they seem kind of out there. So, if anyone else can provide some recommendations that would be great!
Check Glendover Gardens in Allen TX 75013 on exchange parkway. Will match all your needs. Excellent park, pond and highly rated elementary right next to the neighborhood. Sprouts is across the street. Walmart, Texas Presbyterian hospital very close by. Upscale shopping at Watters Creek, Village at Allen & Fairview, Premium outlet mall, Stonebriar mall in Frisco all at 15 min distance. A new Rowlett Creek athletic/recreation center coming up right next to it. Existing Allen natatorium with swimming pool, gym is at 10 min.

http://www.cityofallen.org/documentcenter/view/9354
https://windsorhomestexas.com/glendover-gardens/

Shops at Legacy in Plano via 121 will be within 20 min commute to you for work. You will have quick access to both 121 (toll) and 75 (free) highways, which is a huge convenience.
Check this out and surrounding area for sure before no matter what decision you take.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:35 AM

77 posts, read 133,678 times
Check the new town home community in Ohio Dr (opposite to Preston Ridge Campus of collin college) in Frisco. This is a small town home complex and is minutes from all shopping/restaurants in Preston Road and should meet your commute time requirement.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:31 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Check Glendover Gardens in Allen TX 75013 on exchange parkway. Will match all your needs. Excellent park, pond and highly rated elementary right next to the neighborhood. Sprouts is across the street. Walmart, Texas Presbyterian hospital very close by. Upscale shopping at Watters Creek, Village at Allen & Fairview, Premium outlet mall, Stonebriar mall in Frisco all at 15 min distance. A new Rowlett Creek athletic/recreation center coming up right next to it. Existing Allen natatorium with swimming pool, gym is at 10 min.

http://www.cityofallen.org/documentcenter/view/9354
https://windsorhomestexas.com/glendover-gardens/

Shops at Legacy in Plano via 121 will be within 20 min commute to you for work. You will have quick access to both 121 (toll) and 75 (free) highways, which is a huge convenience.
Check this out and surrounding area for sure before no matter what decision you take.
+ 1 for this. Great location. There are also resale townhomes in Allen 75013 zip code that are newer and in your price point. The only thing I'd caution you with on this is appreciation. You'd want to stay there a few years to get your money back since townhomes in Allen don't tend to see a lot of steady appreciation.

Megatel is building townhomes in Plano at Independence & Plano Parkway in your budget. I'd get on Megatel's site and do a search.

Canals at Grand Park is a CB Jeni townhouse community in Frisco, but starting price might slightly exceed your budget. You will have plenty of options - I'd focus on McKinney, Plano, Frisco and West Allen. If you want new, search on Megatel and CB Jenis website since they build a lot of the new construction townhouse communities in Collin County.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
CBS Jenison is the newest incarnation of a builder with a troubled past. Investigate carefully.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
+ 1 for this. Great location. There are also resale townhomes in Allen 75013 zip code that are newer and in your price point. The only thing I'd caution you with on this is appreciation. You'd want to stay there a few years to get your money back since townhomes in Allen don't tend to see a lot of steady appreciation.

Megatel is building townhomes in Plano at Independence & Plano Parkway in your budget. I'd get on Megatel's site and do a search.

Canals at Grand Park is a CB Jeni townhouse community in Frisco, but starting price might slightly exceed your budget. You will have plenty of options - I'd focus on McKinney, Plano, Frisco and West Allen. If you want new, search on Megatel and CB Jenis website since they build a lot of the new construction townhouse communities in Collin County.
By any chance do you know the name of the Megatel property? I can't seem to find it online.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeintexas View Post
By any chance do you know the name of the Megatel property? I can't seem to find it online.
Found them! Villas of Middleton

Old 02-10-2017, 06:35 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
CBS Jenison is the newest incarnation of a builder with a troubled past. Investigate carefully.
Pasquinelli Portrait & Normandy Homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas