Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:45 PM

628 posts, read 818,784 times

Advertisements

I am aware of that. I'm just pointing out that for the same price, you could get a home in a much more desirable location, and more likely to appreciate to build wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 02:50 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
When you do come on your buying trip, I would advise you give homes in the Grapevine/Colleyville ISD a strong focus. School districts don't always follow town boundaries, so a home buyer must be very aware of which school district, and what schools, a home is zoned to. The GCISD provides services to homes in 4 towns. But its a great school district and serves homes in a wonderful location where resale is easy.

Thanks, it's definitely on our list!

I am also interested in looking at areas that feed into Hebron High School....I know that this is not one of "the schools" in DFW, but I like that they have a separate 9th grade center. Also I think Flower Mound HS has that, but I've seen some info that Flower Mound is not the best school for kids with learning differences. Also, I don't want to be in the most competitive area. We are more laid back.

I'm also looking at New Tech HS but it seems Coppell ISD is more expensive.

Speaking of competitive, one of the things that worries me is the potential keeping up with the Joneses' aspect. It seems like there are a lot of people with a lot of money there. Today my son got made fun of for his shoes. They're Adidas and not Jordans or whatever, but they aren't Walmart shoes. I drive a BMW and DS has a Macbook...it's not like we're poor. But my kids won't have $400 shoes. DS doesn't even want $400 shoes. And this isn't even one of the fancy areas! (Sorry, getting off track here but hopefully you all get my point).

Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I am aware of that. I'm just pointing out that for the same price, you could get a home in a much more desirable location, and more likely to appreciate to build wealth.
And I could buy a condo near the beach somewhere for $400,000. So what? I get that you are trying to help, but why don't you get that my husband cannot get a job in his field in Oregon or Hawaii or the Florida coast. The jobs for HIM do not exist there.

Oh, he was offered a job in India. We could move there.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:05 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
Speaking of competitive, one of the things that worries me is the potential keeping up with the Joneses' aspect. It seems like there are a lot of people with a lot of money there. Today my son got made fun of for his shoes. They're Adidas and not Jordans or whatever, but they aren't Walmart shoes. I drive a BMW and DS has a Macbook...it's not like we're poor. But my kids won't have $400 shoes. DS doesn't even want $400 shoes. And this isn't even one of the fancy areas! (Sorry, getting off track here but hopefully you all get my point).
I've lived in both Flower Mound and Coppell and this has not been my experience at all. Not that there isn't materialism and an element of "Keeping up with the Joneses" but it would not get this nitpicky at all. I see as many more Hondas than BMWs around here.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I've lived in both Flower Mound and Coppell and this has not been my experience at all. Not that there isn't materialism and an element of "Keeping up with the Joneses" but it would not get this nitpicky at all. I see as many more Hondas than BMWs around here.
Good to know, thanks.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Im originally from NC. I was a kid and teenager there. My entire adult life has been in DFW. I like it here (DFW) better because I like big city amenities. Traffic will be worst but you'll get use to it. It's hotter here, not humid, but hot. You will also get use to it. When it's that hot outside, people stay inside. One thing I found that was odd here was it is 98 degrees at night time.

When I first moved here from NC, I didn't know that was possible. Like, how could it be that hot without the sun. SMH. LOL.

At the end of the day, the decision is yours. I miss NC. It's definitely easier on the eye. Road trips from NC are so much better than here. I hate to say it, but schools seemed better in NC too. Educated people in NC seem so much smarter than educated people here. But this is a large metro so you'll have people from everywhere and a lot of sharp people here.

I would add Mansfield ISD to the list (zoned to Mansfield HS, Legacy, or Lake Ridge)

As a Dallas native, it's hard to explain to friends from other places about the night time weather. Daytime is slightly humid but mostly bone-dry.

You haven't lived until you go outside at 10pm and it's 100 degrees outside.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:21 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
As for the "stuff to do"....there's plenty of activity. It's not like living on the coast or near mountains were you can just drive five minutes one way and do adventurous, outdoorsy things. I think most transplants from more scenic places feel bored because their idea of fun is heavily tied to geography and how they grew up appreciating that geography. "Stuff to do" here means concerts, science museums, sporting events etc.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:31 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
If I were in your shoes - never lived in DFW, looking at a significant raise and decent perks, I'd probably be like "that's it, we're moving to Texas."

With that in mind, hindsight's always 20/20. I've BTDT. No amount of money would entice me to move back.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If I were in your shoes - never lived in DFW, looking at a significant raise and decent perks, I'd probably be like "that's it, we're moving to Texas."

With that in mind, hindsight's always 20/20. I've BTDT. No amount of money would entice me to move back.
Why not? That sounds scary.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
As a Dallas native, it's hard to explain to friends from other places about the night time weather. Daytime is slightly humid but mostly bone-dry.

You haven't lived until you go outside at 10pm and it's 100 degrees outside.
The weather is one of my top 3 concerns. Is it windy a lot? I like wind.

Museums, concerts....sign me up. My idea of outdoor adventure, if I can't be at the beach, is swimming in my own pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas