Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 PM

213 posts, read 315,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Thanks, it's definitely on our list!

I am also interested in looking at areas that feed into Hebron High School....I know that this is not one of "the schools" in DFW, but I like that they have a separate 9th grade center. Also I think Flower Mound HS has that, but I've seen some info that Flower Mound is not the best school for kids with learning differences. Also, I don't want to be in the most competitive area. We are more laid back.

I'm also looking at New Tech HS but it seems Coppell ISD is more expensive.

Speaking of competitive, one of the things that worries me is the potential keeping up with the Joneses' aspect. It seems like there are a lot of people with a lot of money there. Today my son got made fun of for his shoes. They're Adidas and not Jordans or whatever, but they aren't Walmart shoes. I drive a BMW and DS has a Macbook...it's not like we're poor. But my kids won't have $400 shoes. DS doesn't even want $400 shoes. And this isn't even one of the fancy areas! (Sorry, getting off track here but hopefully you all get my point).
I've lived in several states and Flower Mound is by far the very best school for special needs that I have ever been in. If you like Flower Mound the town, and it works for you in budget and location, don't discount FMHS or Marcus because of what you read. As someone who has moved often its very, very hard to get an accurate read on special education without visiting and seeing for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsmom4 View Post
I've lived in several states and Flower Mound is by far the very best school for special needs that I have ever been in. If you like Flower Mound the town, and it works for you in budget and location, don't discount FMHS or Marcus because of what you read. As someone who has moved often its very, very hard to get an accurate read on special education without visiting and seeing for yourself.
Wow, OK, I'll add those back to the list then. Thanks! He is mainstreamed and will even take some honors classes, but his dyslexia means he needs some accommodations. Will they do that? Will they do their own testing?

Old 02-24-2017, 07:51 PM

33 posts, read 31,150 times
I lived in NC 2008/2009. If you would have asked me the same thing 5-7 years ago I would have said make the move, however the COL and population increases in DFW over that time have killed a lot the appeal of the area to me. Unless things have changed a lot, it would certainly have to take more than a 20% pay increase to get me to move to DFW if I was firmly established in NC.

What you'll miss:

* Much better scenery
* Much better outdoors life (some of the best beaches/mountain/lake areas in the country and all no more than 3 hour drive)
* Lower cost of living
* Less traffic
* More temperate and consistent weather
* In general more down to earth and friendly people- nowhere near as many Type A's
* Better higher education opportunities (UNC, Duke both top 20 schools nationally)

What you'll gain:

* Likely better career opportunities
* More options in suburban living
* Better BBQ (my opinion- unless you enjoy that vinegar based dry rub in the Carolinas)
* More "first tier" amenities in shopping/dining
* Pro sports teams

Old 02-24-2017, 08:18 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mposter View Post
I lived in NC 2008/2009. If you would have asked me the same thing 5-7 years ago I would have said make the move, however the COL and population increases in DFW over that time have killed a lot the appeal of the area to me. Unless things have changed a lot, it would certainly have to take more than a 20% pay increase to get me to move to DFW if I was firmly established in NC.

What you'll miss:

* Much better scenery
* Much better outdoors life (some of the best beaches/mountain/lake areas in the country and all no more than 3 hour drive)
* Lower cost of living
* Less traffic
* In general more down to earth and friendly people- nowhere near as many Type A's
* Better higher education opportunities (UNC, Duke both top 20 schools nationally)

What you'll gain:

* Better BBQ (my opinion- unless you enjoy that vinegar based dry rub in the Carolinas)
* Pro sports teams
Good points. I guess it depends what amount 20% comes to though. And I would add, my kids won't be attending Duke; we could never afford it even if they could get in.

The weather is key. I just don't know if I can handle the summer weather out there. It might be a deal breaker.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:

What you'll miss:

* Much better scenery
* Lower cost of living
* Less traffic

What you'll gain:

* Pro sports teams
Who says NC has better high education opportunities........and UNC is not a top 20 school by any ranking I've seen.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 PM

33 posts, read 31,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Who says NC has better high education opportunities........and UNC is not a top 20 school by any ranking I've seen.
It's ranked #5 nationally among public universities, right behind Michigan per US News- UT is at #18.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ies/top-public

Old 02-24-2017, 11:16 PM

390 posts, read 389,538 times
Quote:
Good points. I guess it depends what amount 20% comes to though. And I would add, my kids won't be attending Duke; we could never afford it even if they could get in.

The weather is key. I just don't know if I can handle the summer weather out there. It might be a deal breaker.
Omg you guys exaggerate on the weather topic so much ya the weather in NC may be slightly less extreme but it really isn't that much better ! I feel dfw is more sunny it's just more hot in the summer but nc is really humid in summer.DFW isn't as terrible as lots of people make it out to be especially if comparing to another southern state.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:20 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
It's ranked #5 nationally among public universities, right behind Michigan per US News- UT is at #18.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ies/top-public
I get that you noted it but that's just publics. UNC's around 30 overall.

BTW - I'm not running down Duke or UNC.....both are fabulous schools.

Here's another way to think about it.

Association of American Universities members:
NC - UNC, Duke
TX - UT - Austin, Texas A&M, Rice

Carnegie R1 intensive research universities:
NC - UNC, Duke, NC-State
TX - UT - Austin, UT - Arlington, UT - Dallas, Texas A&M, Rice, Texas Tech, University of Houston, University of North Texas

Last edited by EDS_; 02-24-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 12:25 AM

634 posts, read 708,781 times
OP, my family moved from Cary, NC to DFW back in late 2010. We settled in Southlake once the oldest started kindergarten. We have 3 kids ages: 5, 7, and 9.

I do miss NC but I also like Southlake. I don't know where in NC you are currently living, but I would say the cost of living is comparable or maybe even cheaper here than compared to the RTP area. Of course, you can find expensive pockets in both areas but overall, I would say it is less here.

Also, school districts here are more or less zoned by cities and not counties which to me is a huge pro. I hated how wake county would rezone schools every few years. Aside from Chapel Hill/Carrboro, RTP school districts are just merely OK overall.

As for the weather, the humidity in NC is one thing that I will not miss. Yes, it is hot here but it is not humid here. Are there a few humid days, yes. But overall, I wouldn't say it is.

The main things that I miss about NC are my friends and the easy access to the beach.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:49 AM

628 posts, read 819,116 times
Quote:

If your kids are top academic and/or sports performers, Duke will offer a scholarship package to make it affordable. I know this from a friend who went there. I would regard UNC as a top tier public University; however UT-Austin is as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas