Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:42 PM

631 posts, read 876,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
Why should the school discipline a student for what they post on social media? If it was posted using an account affiliated with the school or using a school computer or wifi then I can see it. If not then the school should have no say in what a student does with their personal account outside of school. It's free speech no matter how offensive it may be.

Suspend the disrespectful students attending the presentation? Absolutely. School administrators should be controlling that environment. That's their job. Policing students private lives is a whole different story.
Social media is not private! There's no hiding behind an expectation of privacy when you put something in writing for everyone to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 06:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,755,044 times
Quote:
Why should the school discipline a student for what they post on social media? If it was posted using an account affiliated with the school or using a school computer or wifi then I can see it. If not then the school should have no say in what a student does with their personal account outside of school. It's free speech no matter how offensive it may be.

Suspend the disrespectful students attending the presentation? Absolutely. School administrators should be controlling that environment. That's their job. Policing students private lives is a whole different story.
Suspension from school? No. From school activities? Absolutely. Sports and clubs through schools (even public ones) have always had behavior clauses, for lack of a more precise term. The school can't control whether a jerk of a kid enrolls there, but it absolutely has the discretion to decide which students will represent the school on teams, at public events and to the broader community.

In talking with parents of students who were there, the behavior was completely disrespectful and inappropriate, but it doesn't seem to be deliberately racist (even if it was hurtful in that way to the presenter). They can't believe the school didn't do more to shut it down, as asking 14-16 year old students to stand up to their peers in the face of behavior they know to be wrong is asking a LOT, and the students who weren't involved definitely felt uncomfortable about it.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,182,554 times
I'm not surprised. It's the same school where some kids showed up to Fiesta Day dressed as maids or carrying leaf blowers. When my older son was a toddler we were debating about whether to stay in Arlington or move to Southlake or HP. We decided that since we're a biracial family we wanted to raise our kids somewhere much more diverse than Southlake or HP. I already had strangers coming up to me in public asking me nosy questions in an attempt to ferret out my son's ethnicity. At the time Southlake was much less diverse so I was concerned about the problems my kids would face growing up in either school district.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:31 AM

477 posts, read 1,046,629 times
The behavior doesn't surprise me, but I am surprised that the administration didn't put a quick stop to it.

I have heard multiple bad things about HP from various people in different settings. One woman was considering applying to teach in the HP school district, but she said everyone warned her off stating that she'd spend most of her time trying to not offend the parents who would be more than happy to get you fired. Even if it was their special snowflake who was the problem.

Another person said he played sports at a school that played HP and he said a large contingent of the HP student body threw pennies at them and mocked them for being "poor". He said he was solidly middle class.

Probably doesn't help that the Litfest cochair Kathleen Whalen made a statement saying, "They just got carried away with being teenagers".... Sounds like the excuses are already being made. No wonder these kids are the way they are. No consequences.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:22 AM

551 posts, read 1,092,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
Social media is not private! There's no hiding behind an expectation of privacy when you put something in writing for everyone to see.
I never said it was private. You are trying to change the point of my post to build strawman argument. I said that something a student does on their own time, not using a school affiliated account or school resources should not fall into the school's disciplinary discretion.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 AM

551 posts, read 1,092,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Suspension from school? No. From school activities? Absolutely. Sports and clubs through schools (even public ones) have always had behavior clauses, for lack of a more precise term. The school can't control whether a jerk of a kid enrolls there, but it absolutely has the discretion to decide which students will represent the school on teams, at public events and to the broader community.

In talking with parents of students who were there, the behavior was completely disrespectful and inappropriate, but it doesn't seem to be deliberately racist (even if it was hurtful in that way to the presenter). They can't believe the school didn't do more to shut it down, as asking 14-16 year old students to stand up to their peers in the face of behavior they know to be wrong is asking a LOT, and the students who weren't involved definitely felt uncomfortable about it.
We are talking about two different events. One was the disrespect show during the in school assembly. This is what I was referring to when I said the offending students should have been removed from the event and disciplined according. Where it be suspension, detention, removal from extracurricular activities, etc.

The second was an offensive post on social media. If my understanding is correct, this was done from a student's personal account on their own device outside of school hours. If this is indeed the case, then the school has no business sanctioning the student. What if the administration was very anti abortion and student was kicked off a sports team for posting a pro life message on social media because the school found it offensive? This is a public school. People have the right to voice their personal opinion no matter how offensive it may be without fear of retaliation from their school/government.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:39 AM

385 posts, read 486,404 times
There are a lot of excuses being made in this thread (by some posters) instead of holding the kids accountable.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:43 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,393,696 times
Quote:
I never said it was private. You are trying to change the point of my post to build strawman argument. I said that something a student does on their own time, not using a school affiliated account or school resources should not fall into the school's disciplinary discretion.

Ryan Romo agrees with you

Old 02-28-2017, 09:58 AM

631 posts, read 876,652 times
Quote:
Representing the school on the cheerleading squad is a privilege, not a right. When you publicly prove yourself unworthy of the privilege, the school is within their authority to relieve you of your position (and they should!)

Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Wrong. Most - if not all - of the HP extracurriculars require participants to sign a code of conduct contract that includes behavior out of school. These kids are representing the school and their EC's both in and out of the school. Back when I was at HP, every season there would be a small handful of girls on the drill team who would be suspended for a few weeks because of receiving MIP's or other citations unbecoming of a Highland Belle.

After the infamous 1999 warehouse party, most of the athletic teams and other EC's were gutted for weeks because of the amount of students who received EC suspensions.

I haven't seen the verbiage of the current code of conduct but I'm guessing it has been updated for the social media age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas