Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:03 AM

165 posts, read 196,863 times

Advertisements

Get a broker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 AM

702 posts, read 2,723,676 times
I have the Costco-affiliated insurance, Ameriprise, and they've been pretty good.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:48 PM

472 posts, read 547,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Same thing -- bundled and use Safeco. Also have Safeco on rental properties I own and last year 2 of them suffered total roof loss due to a hailstorm. I was very satisfied with the handling of my claims.
I'm still miffed with Safeco since it's been five years now since I sold my house. We had a hail storm shortly before it was listed and I had Safeco come out to inspect and they refused to fix the roof...claiming it was small localized damage. I had an independent roofer come out to meet with their adjuster twice and they refused to budge even though the roofer told us most insurance company would've replaced the roof.

I talked to my next door neighbor then who had Nationwide and they didn't even know their roof might've been damaged. They made a call to their insurance and their roof was replaced it its entirety within two weeks while I still fought with Safeco. Since we had our house listed, we couldn't get it to pass the inspection with the existing roof damage so I paid $2000 on my own to repair just the damaged area on my roof to meet our schedule. So whatever great insurance rate Safeco gave us for those two years we were with them were negated and costed us more - what really counts is when you have to make a claim. That was my lousy experience with Safeco so fair warning if you go with them.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:52 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I'm still miffed with Safeco since it's been five years now since I sold my house. We had a hail storm shortly before it was listed and I had Safeco come out to inspect and they refused to fix the roof...claiming it was small localized damage. I had an independent roofer come out to meet with their adjuster twice and they refused to budge even though the roofer told us most insurance company would've replaced the roof.

I talked to my next door neighbor then who had Nationwide and they didn't even know their roof might've been damaged. They made a call to their insurance and their roof was replaced it its entirety within two weeks while I still fought with Safeco. Since we had our house listed, we couldn't get it to pass the inspection with the existing roof damage so I paid $2000 on my own to repair just the damaged area on my roof to meet our schedule. So whatever great insurance rate Safeco gave us for those two years we were with them were negated and costed us more - what really counts is when you have to make a claim. That was my lousy experience with Safeco so fair warning if you go with them.
That is awful; but just to clarify that the deductible for hail damage to the roof usually at least $2K; so you would have had to need a whole roof and then your part would still have been the same $2K you paid to make the repairs.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:43 PM

472 posts, read 547,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
That is awful; but just to clarify that the deductible for hail damage to the roof usually at least $2K; so you would have had to need a whole roof and then your part would still have been the same $2K you paid to make the repairs.
We actually had the roof replaced once some eight years before that when we got hit with tennis ball size hail (ah yes, the joy of living in Dallas with the random hail storm). The house and roof was pretty new then only 2 yrs old and we were with Allstate. Allstate was super easy then, the adjuster came and cut us an estimated check couple days later for the entire roof replacement. We just got a roofer then, gave him the whole check and that also covered the deductible. Wasn't expecting such an issue with Safeco.

I would've been ok to even pay $2k deductible for a new roof for the new owner vs local repairs. If we weren't trying to sell the house at the time within a particular deadline, I would've probably press the issue a bit more but had to cut my losses.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 AM

263 posts, read 410,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iberanon View Post
Get a broker.
Can somebody recommend good insurance brokers? Preferably someone who has access to all the major companies. I am looking to switch from Allstate as they have consistently increased my premiums 20% each of the last two years I have been with them (no claims).

Last broker I tried excluded some major companies. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: