Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times

Advertisements

There have been a lot of mall closings and vastly underperforming malls in DFW which got greatly saturated with them compared to its peers. The thriving malls now (like Stonebriar) are the survivors. DFW is also pretty unique in how much job/corporate growth occurs outside the main city. Its why the DART layout is strange since it doesn't really reach any of these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 07:42 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There have been a lot of mall closings and vastly underperforming malls in DFW which got greatly saturated with them compared to its peers. The thriving malls now (like Stonebriar) are the survivors. DFW is also pretty unique in how much job/corporate growth occurs outside the main city. Its why the DART layout is strange since it doesn't really reach any of these areas.
It reaches the Richardson stretch State Farm/Cityline on the Redline almost to Allen. As well as Las Colinas on the Orange Line. The struggle is the Addison to Frisco Stretch. Why they didnt incorporate the light rail into the Tollway build out and extention to at this point nearly Oklahoma I'll never know. The tollway is great but to have them both would have been ideal!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
DART routing is largely driven by politics. Otherwise there would be east-west routes and the first route built would have been a loop from Valley View, out 635 to the airport, back in on 183 to downtown Dallas, and then north either along the tollroad or 75.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The lots in Lakewood/M Streets are as big or bigger than your average lot in Plano. It's sort of arbitrary to call that 'city' and Plano 'suburbs' just because it's sort of close to downtown Dallas, even though the DNT/Legacy corridor in Plano (and the Telecom Corridor in Richardson) support as many workers as downtown Dallas does.

However, the point about mcmansions not re-selling as well is completely true. Here's a somewhat random comparison to prove it:

6929 La Vista Dr Dallas, TX 75214 (Lakewood) - built 1948, .15 of an acre, 1828 sq feet, schools listed as above average/below/below. Selling for $435k. Small ranch house.

2604 Elk Trl, Plano, TX 75025 (Plano) - built in 1991, .17 of an acre, 3530 sq feet, schools listed as above average/above average/above average. Pretty high quality mcmansion looks-wise. On Coit & Hedgecoxe, so less than 15 minutes from the Preston/Legacy job corridor, so it's not in BFE and very close to jobs & shopping. Selling for about $400k.

So the mcmansion is selling for way less per sq foot, even though every thing about it is better (including less crime) than the Lakewood house and it is 40 years newer. If they were selling for the same amount per sq foot, then the Lakewood house would be either $180,000 or the Plano house would be $700,000.
I would live in an 1800 square foot 1948 house in Lakewood over a McMansion in Plano in a heartbeat. There is basically nothing in Plano for people who do not conform to the 1-3 school age children, "for the children", professional sports, giant TV, and recipes Plano monoculture. I have tried to keep a 2500 square foot house clean and I can't even imagine what the heck we would do with 3500 square feet.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Which is exactly that point of the article (that mcmansions sit on land worth less, which means their resale is less). And that Plano house is a mcmansion. No way it's 'custom'. And the only reason that land is worth more in Lakewood is because there are things nearby (urban amenities) which make it worth more. Everything about the individual lot & house in Lakewood is worse.
True. Location is the main difference.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:03 PM

274 posts, read 855,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I would live in an 1800 square foot 1948 house in Lakewood over a McMansion in Plano in a heartbeat. There is basically nothing in Plano for people who do not conform to the 1-3 school age children, "for the children", professional sports, giant TV, and recipes Plano monoculture. I have tried to keep a 2500 square foot house clean and I can't even imagine what the heck we would do with 3500 square feet.
I agree. But then, my husband and I both work downtown. The primary reason that DFW is not seeing the suburbs fall in popularity is because the suburbs aren't really suburbs- they're spread-out mini cities. The number of jobs in Plano, Frisco, Richardson, Carrollton, Addison, etc. has a huge impact on the population growth up there. If I worked in Plano, I'd probably live in Plano for the convenience of a shorter commute. In contrast to DFW, I grew up in a bedroom community in a New York suburb, and EVERYONE there worked in Manhattan. There weren't many other places to work. The term "bedroom community" applies to very few of the bigger suburbs in DFW.

Also, speaking as a "millennial" parent, in my own pocket of East Dallas, I can tell you that a large percentage of people buying in my close-to-downtown area are under the age of 40, and most of them have kids or are planning to have them soon.

In the end, this all just boils down to where people work and whether they want a long commute or not.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post

Also, speaking as a "millennial" parent, in my own pocket of East Dallas, I can tell you that a large percentage of people buying in my close-to-downtown area are under the age of 40, and most of them have kids or are planning to have them soon.
I think you slightly misunderstood my point, which is that Plano and similar exurbs largely consist of a monoculture, and are dull as dishwater if you have any interests other than children, TV shows, spectator sports, or electronic gadgets.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:42 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
I think you slightly misunderstood my point, which is that Plano and similar exurbs largely consist of a monoculture, and are dull as dishwater if you have any interests other than children, TV shows, spectator sports, or electronic gadgets.
I know plenty of millennials who live in Plano and other northern suburbs who love it. They are mostly the type who like to go out and club/party or try out the new restaurants and bakeries that are popping up. None of them have sports, some are interested in shows, a few like watching soccer, although most of them enjoy actually playing other sports more, and yeah they do seem very into electronics, like the newest phones or Apple products, but that applies just as much to millennials who live within Dallas.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
I'm not sure Plano fits the definition of exurb. And there is no way you can describe it as consisting of a monoculture unless you you're time traveling back to the 70s, possibly 80s. That city is much more diverse these days than my bubble south of LBJ.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 AM

242 posts, read 360,261 times
plano has white flight going on right now. There either heading south to park cities or north to prosper. There are neighborhoods in east Plano that resembles garland then McMansion stereotype of Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas