Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,337 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from DC. Husband will be getting a job down at Lockheed M in Grand Prairie. Our 16 year old son will be doing after-school soccer in Frisco. We are having a hard time figuring out where the best place to live to cut down on the commute. We would like to keep our housing budget in the $300s range. So far from what I've read, seems the schools in the Frisco area have good grades so we hope to reside in that area and have my teenage son attend school perhaps in Centennial or Wakeland High. Can anyone advise where's the best place to reside to keep to the Frisco school district but yet avoid any possible commute problems? We do have horrendous traffic in DC so I guess in a way we've been used to it but hoping we don't have to do as much of sitting in traffic once we move to TX or at least less than what we are experiencing in DC. Any advice much appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Look at the distance and figure 2-3 min per mile in rush hour traffic. Don't forget the tolls. I spend $9.03 per day on my round trip to/from work. I would not want a Frisco-Grand Prairie commute!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,970 times
I'm curious why you've already chosen soccer in Frisco?

I'm much less of an expert than many here but when I hear Grand Prairie work location and $300K my first thought is Arlington.

You should get some good responses, good luck.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:32 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,903 times
What's so special about soccer in Frisco that it's worth a 40-mile commute for the breadwinner? Also, the other local Lockheed Martin jobs are in the Fort Worth area, which is even further away.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:22 AM

793 posts, read 1,223,654 times
Frisco to Grand Prairie every day sounds awful. I'm not sure what is drawing you to Frisco for soccer, but do you have to be in Frisco ISD? If being in the district is not essential, you could consider homes in Plano ISD in zipcode 75287, as close as possible to PGB Turnpike. That location would still give you excellent schools and close proximity to Frisco, and would cut up to 8 miles and 15 minutes off your commute. Still not a good commute, but better.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,337 times
Thanks to all for responding. We are not bent on having to live in Frisco but just a general google research seems to indicate that the school system is pretty good and since our priority is for our son to join a U.S. Soccer Development Academy system, we figured Frisco is not too far from the FC Dallas training area. My husband works as a Cyber Security Engineer(ISSO/gov-policy) and so far not too many similar jobs within the area (maybe someone in that field might be able to give us insight where's the best place to look)

Off the top of my head, our #1 plan is for my husband to find a similar job and the next priority is to be close to a U.S. Soccer Development affiliated academy like FC Dallas or Solar Chelsea. As long as those conditions are met, it really doesn't matter where we live. I'm just nervous about the entire move since it'll be the first big one after having been here for over 16 years. We live in the nice safe suburbs of Northern VA and the schools my son has attended from elementary to high has never had any major issues with drugs,gangs or bullying so it gives me so much peace of mind sending him off to school each day without worries. That peace of mind is priceless! The not so great thing in this area is the extremely high cost of living and the 'keeping up with the jones'. Besides everyone's too busy in the area to have any real meaningful friendships. Anyway I really appreciate everyone's patience with all my questions. City-data has really been very, very helpful

Old 02-19-2017, 04:49 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,661,885 times
Your husband will hate life very quickly with that commute. If you live close to work, then whoever takes the son to Frisco for soccer with hate life as well. No win situation. If you have to do it, I would go with a area that is Little Elm city, but Frisco schools.There are areas with that. Price would be much, much better then Frisco city pricing.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
I think it's time to get real about your son's soccer abilities. Does he have a realistic chance of getting a large athletic scholarship for college? Will he stack up to his peers as well in Texas as he does in Virginia? If so, then given he's 16 and I assume going to be a junior next year, I'd rent a house in Plano or Frisco to be close to the soccer facilities.

Once he graduates, you can buy a house that is way more convenient to your husband's office. I would guess that after commuting around 34,000 miles and paying $5000 in tolls (not to mention extra gas, tires, more frequent car checkups, etc) in 2 years, your poor hubby is going to be ready to settle down closer to work.

If your son is not a Texas scholarship caliber player, then time to have a chat with him that he can play varsity for the local school but needs to sacrifice some for the sake of the whole family.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
I suggest you look to buy/rent a home in North Euless zip code 76039 in homes that are zoned to the Grapevine/Colleyville School District. It will be a trek to Frisco but doeable; and the schools are great in GCISD and you husband would have a more reasonable commute.

Other suggestion is Valley Ranch in zip code 75063 zoned to Coppell Schools (that means west of MacArthur). Even easier to Frisco and still not incredibly awful to Grand Prairie and awesome schools.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 PM

422 posts, read 542,869 times
As someone who once drove from Ikea to South Arlington around 5pm, DONT DO IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas