Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,648 times

Advertisements

All,

Long-time reader of this site. First time posting.

In short: I lived in Texas for years. Never in or around DFW, though. I've been in the northern part of the midwest for awhile and am looking at moving, with Texas being one of a few specific choices. If I move back, I imagine it'd be the northern part of the state.

That said, I've read so many threads on the various places to consider, it's all getting muddied in my head.

For those of you who know the area far better than I do, I was hoping you'd be able to simplify matters. I'm a single guy, no children, white collar, trying to sort out where the best place would be to have a quieter, "nice" place to live in some newer neighborhood somewhere. I've liked my trips to Dallas in the past and Chicago and various other major cities, but in the end, I like getting away from the hustle and bustle. I don't have any specific needs beyond that -- you'd think that would make things much easier, but funny how that doesn't seem to be the case.

I read threads about Flower Mound and Highland Village and the rest and, since I've never been to these places, never quite know what to think about which.

Are there any general rules for the areas around Dallas I should know? Where should I start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
If you're a longtime lurker then you already know what our first question is going to be.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,737,127 times
Holy socks housing in the Denton looks expensive! What's that all about? Normal for a DFW suburb?

Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,403,506 times
Where is your job going to be?The Metroplex is bigger than some states.Do you even have a job lined out?What is your budget for housing,OP?If you dont have a job,I would get a extended stay until you can know the area better.Then get apartment after you get job.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,648 times
Seems I forgot some details. Housing, $400k or so, flexible, or equivalent mortgage to rent short-term to ensure job works out; with what I do, I'm contracted somewhere else at the moment as is, but with the option to move/work elsewhere in the near future, so basically, much of the area around DFW would work. Fortunate in that I work in a field with overall good job prospects save for a few major cities due to saturation.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,388,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Holy socks housing in the Denton looks expensive! What's that all about? Normal for a DFW suburb?
Denton is not a suburb.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 PM

12 posts, read 13,492 times
I live in Argle, which is right next to Flower Mound and Highland Village. While my town is rural at the moment, development out here is crazy, and in about five years this place will be completely filled out. If you move out here, be prepared to live in construction zones for a while as all the major freeways are being expanded and new housing and commercial is being built. My suggestion would be further west like Aledo/Weatherford/Boyd/Springtown if you want to be close to the metroplex, but away from it all. If you're wanting to be closer to the Dallas side, but away from the craziness, you need to go East Texas area, or north as far as Melissa/Prosper. But be warned, those areas are developing too.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Denton is not a suburb.
Whatever, anything that close to a metro with that big a population is a suburb to me. I'm in discussions with an employer over a job paying 120k. After looking at the housing market I'll keep my Mansion in the GWN!

Old 03-13-2017, 08:04 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,094,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Whatever, anything that close to a metro with that big a population is a suburb to me. I'm in discussions with an employer over a job paying 120k. After looking at the housing market I'll keep my Mansion in the GWN!
That close and, if I remember correctly, has a negative change in population during the day due to commutes.

It is slightly different from other northern suburbd, being a bit more liberal, less well off, sort of a college town, noticeably worse roads, and with its own PT, sort of (DCTA is more so for Denton County, not the city that is the county's county seat).

Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
That close and, if I remember correctly, has a negative change in population during the day due to commutes.

It is slightly different from other northern suburbd, being a bit more liberal, less well off, sort of a college town, noticeably worse roads, and with its own PT, sort of (DCTA is more so for Denton County, not the city that is the county's county seat).
Thanks! At 55 I wouldn't mind being in a warmer climate but everything considered it looks like my money goes a lot further here...The housing is definitely a problem. My 260k house on the lake here would be way more down there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas